Webb Dock Melbourne

We are sailing on QM2 in February and March.On 12th March booked in to Webb Dock as Solstice also in that day.Does anybody know about facilities eg taxis there?

they dock at station pier and they have shuttle buses, taxis and a short walk to the tram stop, the tram is the 109 which goes into the city

You may have to play that one by ear.

As far as I know you will be the first cruise ship to have ever used Webb Dock.You can check it out on the Port of Melbourne web site.

http://portcapacity.portofmelbourne.com/pages/project-details.asp

It is along from Station Pier, and I imagine that Cunard will have shuttles arranged to take you either to Station Pier or direct into the City. They wont leave you way out there , and being a container terminal you probably will not be allowed to walk off the dock anyway.Access by taxis or the public will also be restricted I should think.

• 5 weeks later...

Webb Dock is an isolated security area. Kiwi Kruzer is right that Cunard will make arrangements and notify you. You will "not" be able to walk from the ship through the dock for safety and security reasons, plus it's too far from any-where, been there done that. A shuttle-bus would take at least 20 minutes to the City and traffic problems at Station Pier with shuttle buses for the 109 tram will make it very busy with so many passengers. You will have to be very patient and there could be a lot of passengers getting back to the ship late.

Qm2 will not be the first cruise-ship at Webb dock, she will be the third. The other two, Rotterdam V and the Sky Princess, could not be re-fuelled at Station Pier because the weather was too rough for the re-fuelling barge so they "upped anchor" and sailed to the calmer waters of Webb Dock; I was on the Rotterdam.

I'm disappointed about Webb Dock. The other pier is just do much better. You could just get off and walk to the nearby beaches and shops or catch a tram. Another port site is showing the original location though.

If its a security area you wont be able to walk anywhere. The shuttle will be waiting at the end of the gangway and you will board that or stay on the ship for the day......same with coming back to the ship. In fact coming back they be even more security conscious and you may need to show your passports and cruise card. Cunard are great organizers though and I am sure they will have it all arranged so that their guests have the least amount of hassle and as much security as the require.

If its a security area you wont be able to walk anywhere. The shuttle will be waiting at the end of the gangway and you will board that or stay on the ship for the day......same with coming back to the ship. In fact coming back they be even more security conscious and you may need to show your passports and cruise card. Cunard are great organizers though and I am sure they will have it all arranged so that their guests have the least amount of hassle and as much security as the require.

Yes I think it adds a layer of organisation that just isn't needed for the original location. The sailaway for QM2 with all the people watching is rather nice. I'm thinking photo id might be required but I'm leaving the passport onboard. I bet Cunard are not that excited about it either.

I'm not planning any particular visits in Melbourne but had planned to just walk along the beach. Unless I've forgotten something and need to dash into the city. Prolly be raining anyway. :p

Edited by Pushka