MarinerBarcelona to Rio. On Board

penfriend

What passes for bacon in the US - those thin salty strips - is edible (if at all) only if crispy. Proper English back bacon - what is called Canadian bacon in the US - is wonderful if grilled medium well and stays bendy.

This surge from the soft bacon fraternity has certainly saved my bacon: I was feeling quite lonely.

Bacon is quite different between the US, Canada and the UK. The British are not fond of "streaky" bacon considering it much inferior to gammon rashers which are never cooked to a crisp. So-called Canadian bacon is similar to the British gammon but a smaller part of the loin and again, not cooked to a crisp. Canadians generally prefer streaky bacon made from pork bellies, with some liking it crisp and others limp. In Canada, what the US calls Canadian bacon is called peameal bacon because it comes with a breadcrumb-like coating. Not the bacon most people chose. I cure and smoke my own bacon from pork bellies and agree that the presence of bacon fat makes all the difference to a good fried breakfast.

Penfriend - Put me down for "chewy bacon", as well :) The DW likes hers so that it shatters in a million pieces when touched with a fork. But as for me, "chewy" is just right, with all the "natural goodness" of the fat and grease to blend with the eggs and home fried potatoes (not hash browns - yuk!). I'm very interested in your trip. I've been looking through the Regent catalog for future cruises and have been considering the Atlantic crossing - either eastbound or westbound. I haven't been on the Mariner yet, so that's on the "to-do list", as well. Have a great time. Regards.

We clearly understand each other when it comes to bacon.

I think you will like a transatlantic cruise and the mariner is a fine ship. Our friends thought we would be bored with the several sea-days but there is always plenty to do. And it is all very luxurious.

I have good friends Dr. Janey, her mom and Kit onboard. They have reported back to me what a great time they are having!

I will have to write to Kit and get a report! I keep trying to get on the same cruise with him -- one of these days!

We board the Mariner on Dec. 20 for the trip from Buenos Aires to Rio, 15 days including over Christmas and New Year's. This will be our first Regent sailing (Kit finally talked us into it :) ) and I am very much looking forward to it.

It may look different, but it all comes from the same place. Oink, Oink:D
:) It does not all come from the same place on a hog in my opinion based on too many years in the meat industry as a butcher, meat cutter and portioner. American style bacon is made from a Pork Belly. English style from an elongated combination cut that includes belly and part of a loin. Canadian Bacon, think eggs benedict, is only made from boneless, center cut pork loins. The ribs become baby back ribs and the rest (Chine bone and loin vertabrae) are usually trimmed out and wind up as sausage trimmings. There are other cutting styles as well but I just heard the Recess Bell.:)

Wow Penfriend, this is quite the thread! I should have checked this out sooner! I feel bad that I haven't given Tom some better reports!

Put me down for the bendable bacon! The crunchy is only good for baked potato sprinkles and egg salads!

We have enjoyed the crossing, and prefer the sea day heavy itineraries to the port intensive (and much more expensive) cruises. This was out second crossing, and we prefer the westbound due to the clock turn back routine. Eastbound we had more sunny weather, but frequent forward clock jumps are a bummer!

Buzios sail and swim was the best!

I just tried Photobucket and I still cannot upload any photos, so I will need to wait till I get home to share some photos!

The Gardens tour in Tenerife was a nice tour. Time spent in each of the 3 gardens was a bit long for me, but the bus ride let you see a lot of the island.

I just tried Photobucket and I still cannot upload any photos, so I will need to wait till I get home to share some photos!

The Gardens tour in Tenerife was a nice tour. Time spent in each of the 3 gardens was a bit long for me, but the bus ride let you see a lot of the island.

Really looking forward to seeing the photos and also hearing as much as possible about your cruise.

In the interest of further deviating from the original premise of this forum, crispy bacon is the way to go especially when making German potato salad. Bendable bacon just gets all soggy, while the crispy bacon will maintain some of its properties as it soaks up all those flavors.

Crispy-7

Bendable-7

:eek:

Rarely eat bacon but did have it twice from room service and ordered EXTRA crispy on my BLTs and light on mayo! Had trouble to get them to toast my whole Wheat bread and leave the crust on.(I don't like anything limp)

It still was good

Edited by TedC

Let's deviate further!

Do you have a recipie for Hot German potato salad, the kind with thick vinegar and bacon based sauce? I used to get this at the late summer farm town beer feasts in northwestern Ohio! Yum!

I hope it's the same thing, because it has a vinegar sauce and bacon. Let me get the recipe from The Boss and I'll post it for you. Stand by.

Z and TB

Let's deviate further!

Do you have a recipie for Hot German potato salad, the kind with thick vinegar and bacon based sauce? I used to get this at the late summer farm town beer feasts in northwestern Ohio! Yum!

From The Boss (my better half) who got this recipe from her German mom:

8 large baking potatoes, peeled, cubed, and boiled until tender, and drained well

Cook 1lb of bacon in a frying pan until CRISPY

Remove from pan and let drain

Save 1/3-1/2 cup of bacon fat

In a medium sized sauce pan add bacon fat and 2T of flour

Stir in low to medium heat to make a roux

Add 1/2 cup of water, 3/4 cup white granulated sugar, 3/4 cup white distilled vinegar,1 small diced onion, and 1t salt and stir until bubbly

Pour over potatoes and toss

Crumble bacon and add to potatoes

Add 1T chives

Add extra salt and pepper to taste

If you want it more saucy add additional equal amounts of sugar and vinegar.

Serve warm and have defibrillators handy.

Z and TB

Wow ! Now give me a couple of grilled bockwursts with a large spoonful of Kraut and the hot German Potato salad then put me in my bed as I will be willing to call that the all time favorite Summer Meal!.....Oh yeah....:D:D

Wow ! Now give me a couple of grilled bockwursts with a large spoonful of Kraut and the hot German Potato salad then put me in my bed as I will be willing to call that the all time favorite Summer Meal!.....Oh yeah....:D:D

You're going to need some good German beer to wash it down.