Question about Luggage?

Batana

We have some Lucas pieces and they wear like iron. They have survived many attempts to destroy them. :) They weigh next to nothing.

Their expandable soft side garment bags are the best ever BUT they don't have wheels.

My Lucas bags have wheels:confused: - just two, not four, so they are not swivel.

Whatever luggage you choose, I advise against the "spinner" 4 wheel type.

This type of luggage is not stable unless it is on the level. It can roll away from porters on ramps, can roll about the hallways of a ship, and is not easy to control in any moving environment. (car rental shuttle bus, airtrain, etc.)

The 2 wheeled style which stays stationary when unattended is a far more versatile style.

Whatever luggage you choose, I advise against the "spinner" 4 wheel type.

This type of luggage is not stable unless it is on the level. It can roll away from porters on ramps, can roll about the hallways of a ship, and is not easy to control in any moving environment. (car rental shuttle bus, airtrain, etc.)

The 2 wheeled style which stays stationary when unattended is a far more versatile style.

While I prefer the 2-wheel models, or at least that's what I've got and am use to, my wife much prefers the 4-wheel spinners. She travels extensively for work and won't buy anything but the spinners. The downsides as mentioned are outweighed for her by what she thinks is ease in handling for her and less strain on her back.

Edited by Randyk47

While I prefer the 2-wheel models, or at least that's what I've got and am use to, my wife much prefer the 4-wheel spinners. She travels extensively for work and won't buy anything but the spinners. The downsides as mentioned are outweighed for her by what she thinks is ease in handling for her and less strain on her back.

I agree. I really like the 4 wheel model spinners.

I have a Costco Kirkland brand 21 inch roller (expandable). After ten plus years of business travel and three years of intensive pleasure travel, it still looks new. But more importantly, the wheels are the best that I have ever had (far better than DW's Travelpro) and the zippers are heavy duty. I take this for a week or for six months. In fact, I think that DW will be shopping for one to replace the 24" Travelpro

I do not worry about weight of the bag because I am always well within the weight limits.

My Travel Pro has survived over 1 million sky miles, 10+ cruises, and thousands of shuttle vans. About the only issue I have had was recently; last week the zipper on the back pocket came off the track - but that was my fault for stuffing a pashmina in there that was too thick!

My luggage is old. America Touriester. Its not heavy but I think my next cruise will be its last. I always line the buttom and top of my bags with large plastic bags and everything I put in my suitcase is in some kind of plastic bag. Zip lock or the one you shrink (vacumn the air out of. each bage hass a address lable on it. Also on top of suitcase (on top of clothes I have my name and where I am going. (hotel or ship) on way home my home address.

Mary

Several years ago we bought a 4 piece set of Heys - silver coloured, with great wheels - from The Shopping Channel for about $300. At least half a dozen cruises plus as many trips to Vegas and it is starting to show it's age. Rumour has it that Santa may be bringing a new 3 piece set of Heys Red Spinner Luggage later this month :).

Of course that is just for me and DH will continue to use the silver set until it dies.

Rockfan2

We are fans of rolling duffle bags, which we buy at Walmart or Kohl's. Think they are Delsey brand. They have held up very well although a bit scuffed as we frequently travel. Amazing what they can hold and when empty, they easily fit under the bed. Have heard of issues having hard sided luggage stored on the ship.

Used to be a 'road warrior' when I was working and found that expensive luggage would last just as long as cheaper luggage, so now only buy the less expensive luggage.

We are fans of rolling duffle bags, which we buy at Walmart or Kohl's. Think they are Delsey brand. They have held up very well although a bit scuffed as we frequently travel. Amazing what they can hold and when empty, they easily fit under the bed. Have heard of issues having hard sided luggage stored on the ship.

Used to be a 'road warrior' when I was working and found that expensive luggage would last just as long as cheaper luggage, so now only buy the less expensive luggage.

(bolding is mine) FYI - That could be true of some hard sided cases, but our big 28" Samsonite Ziplite hard sided cases fit easily under the bed.......just as an example.

buying luggage makes me crazy. I spend less time buying a new car.:D

me too. decided after my cruise last year I wanted new luggage, still hasn't happened. And yes, I've cruised since then. No clue to the brand. Years ago I did have a piece of JC Penny brand luggage the airline ruined but that's my extend of damage.

I do not mean to "highjack" this thread but....

What luggage is good for not being so weighty on its own?

My Travel Pro is heavy on it's own!

Thanks!

International Traveller (IT) is the lightest I could find.

http://www.ebags.com/product/international-traveller/worlds-lightest-second-generation-4-wheeled-29-packing-case/266529?productid=10280652

I recently did LOTS of research and read many reviews on Amazon. Decided to go with two 28" TravelPro MaxLite, based on many excellent reviews. The bags arrived very quickly, and although I've not traveled with them yet, I am very pleased with the look (Ocean Blue color), and the roominess and stability. They weigh 9.4 lbs empty, and have four spinner wheels.

I just bought the following:

Travelpro Maxlite 2 28” Expandable Rollaboard is made of rugged polyester fabric is water repellent for greater stain and abrasion resistance are well rated and weigh 8#14 oz. If you buy the red color it's less than $88 at ebags.

Very light compared to my older 24" Travelpro.

Bags are like cars, there is one for everyone!!:D:D

I agree with the previous poster (Chelly) who said they spent less time buying a new car than luggage. I have probably bought more bags than cars in my life, I am the original "Bag Lady". I have had good luck with most of them, and liked some much better than others. Some may be good for short trips, others, long trips. Some are good for cruises and tours, others for car trips. There is a big selection out there, and just like a woman's purse, it is all personal choice on what you like best. There are no right or wrong answers as far as luggage is concerned......JMHO.:)

Prior to my Jan. '08 South America cruise I bought a full set of Delsey Helium luggage. I have the 29", 25", 21" carry-on, and trolley tote. After many cruises and several flights, they have all stood up well, with the exception of the 29" bag. It was punctured and torn by the airline last January. I was able to replace it with an almost exact replica. I can't get the 29" bag under the cabin bed, but the steward always stores it for me.

I am interested in spinner luggage the next time I need it, but since the wheels extend beyond the usable portion, and count in the dimensions, there is less room for actual packing. I just don't know if I want to give up the space. Prior to this set I had a hard-sided 31" suitcase, and coming down to 29" was quite an adjustment.

I do line the bag with dry cleaners bags so the contents don't get wet.

Edited by RuthC

I'm another fan of the wheeled holdalls. I love the squidgy sides and can always squeeze "just one more" item in.

The first thing I look for when buying a new case is the weight and the capacity. My current one will hold around 124 litres (huge, I call it my body-bag) and weights 4.0 kg. It's looking slightly tatty now so I'm looking for a new one, just can't get another exactly the same, sadly. I also put a large plastic bag over the top of the stuff inside to make sure nothing gets wet.

I gave up on expensive, smart luggage when one got ripped on only its second outing.

Edited by chrispb
error