Unique Review of Presidential Family Suite - Would You Read It?

RubyDog08

Do you think this project is worth the effort?  

91 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think this project is worth the effort?

• Yes. I would enjoy reading it.
    • Yes. Someone will probably read it.
    • No. There are enough reviews out there already.

Our next cruise is coming up in 6 days - sailing Freedom of the Seas in the presidential family suite. So here's a question or two for you. I have been tossing around the idea of doing a review in a "semi-Live" format, and I am wondering whether or not anyone would actually read it. Is it worth your time and mine?

Let me back up just a bit before you decide. I am not balcony/suite snob, nor am I wealthy, so this review will not be heavy on room features, etc. That's just the room I booked. I'm just a regular person - an old lady who celebrated a major birthday this year (I'm not about to tell you that I'm 60 now, so don't even try to get it out of me!) That said, my family decided this trip would be a pretty cool present, so I had no choice but to accept their kindness. (Stop twisting my arm, already!) :D

We have been cruising since the late 80s, and all cruises but one been with Royal. We have lived through a great many changes in the cruise industry over the years, and I am a very flexible person; easy to please. I just roll with the changes and always have a great time no matter what is thrown at me. It's a vacation like no other, no matter how you slice it. Changes in turn down service candy, menus, pillows, itineraries, smoking and formal night policies...it's all good!

I am only considering a review because I think it will offer something a bit uncommon in the world of cruise reviews: This will be a four-sided (square?) review. In addition to myself, three others have agreed to provide their input for the project. Those participating with me are my DH, my DD and my DDaddy! The review will be presented from all four points-of-view from three generations.

From me, you won't read any serious complaints or criticisms. What you will get is just an honest, daily rendering of what one genuinely silly old woman did on her family vacation. It will be sprinkled with what it is like traveling with MS and a degenerative nerve disorder.

From DH's point of view, you will hear all about being the only "normal" person in a group. (Ha!)

DD, a young adult, will offer an extremely unique take on cruising with autism, mental challenges, Tourette's, juvenile diabetes and sensory integration disorder.

Finally, DDaddy will throw out his unique senior (cranky) personality when describing his experience traveling in a wheelchair.

While all of this might sound depressing, it is actually quite the opposite. We choose to make the most of what we have, and we have fun doing it!

The plan is to present a written review on a live basis, and present our photos when we return. I do feel a certain debt of gratitude to the CC family for providing invaluable information and guidance in our family's planning process, but I'm just not generous enough to spend the time required to post pictures from the ship. Sorry, but I can be greedy with our holiday time!

So how does all of this sound? Should we do it? Is it worth it? Ultimately, would you read and benefit from it? Take the poll and let me know. :p

If it personally makes you happy to do that on vacation, do it. If it doesn't, don't. It should be about what brings you joy, not about what a group of strangers wants. We all obviously are here to get information and see trips from various perspectives, but decide for yourself if that is how you want to spend your time.

I voted "Yes, I would enjoy reading it"

Posting pictures would also be great if you get a chance. There are probably lots of pictures of the Presidential Suite out there, but not that I have seen.

When I do B2B, between occupants I often roam the ship to check out various room types. A number of times I have started to come in the door of "big" suites; see the steward cleaning up; say "excuse me" and have the steward say "come on in and look around". But the Presidential Suite has always been locked up tight as a drum.

Enjoy your 29th birthday cruise;)

Thom

I'll be in that room the week after you celebrating my grandfather's 90th! I've been looking for reviews and such as you describe leading up to this trip but haven't been able to find any. So, I think what you're suggesting would not only be beneficial to people about to board but also to people wanting to see what it's like spending a week in that room.

Enjoy your week of festivities!

I'll read it!

But as a woman of a certain age myself, I resent the notion that 60 is old.:p

Same here from Canada! I prefer to say I "resemble" that remark. I'm olderrr then OP too. ;)

(Just a bit!)

Edited by evelyn51

Same here from Canada! I prefer to say I "resemble" that remark. I'm olderrr then OP too. ;)

(Just a bit!)

I resemble that remark, too! Also older (but just a couple of years) :cool:

We'll probably never cruise in a suite like that (we have done junior suites), so I'll be interested in reading it.

Happy Cruising! I'll be looking forward to your "live" thread!

If your review is anything like your opening post then I think we'll be in for a great read! Loving your humour already :D

My thoughts exactly!

You have a great writing style and a sense of humor! A combination for a very interesting review!:)

Wow - Thanks for the encouragement. It looks like a review will, indeed, happen. First, please accept my apologies. I guess it wasn't very nice of me. I didn't mean to offend anyone by referencing the advancing numbers on my human odometer. I was only talking about myself, but I promise to not bring it up again. :p (Note to self: Do not say old anymore.)

Jen - I'm so glad you popped in. Congratulations on your wedding!! I'm looking forward to meeting you guys and everyone else from our insane roll call. :eek:

Just to get the feel of things, I'm going to start here with a prequel to our travels.

Me: Cleon is giving me fits right about now. I'm trying to figure out how to follow the track of the storm. We cannot fly due to DD's sensory integration disorder, so we have to drive 1000+ miles to get to the port. Unfortunately, that includes a drive smack through the predicted "ice" portion of winter storm, Cleon. (They dug pretty deep for that name...I mean, most people probably aren't even familiar with Pericles, much less Cleon - but that's not the point, is it?) Our original plan was to leave first thing Friday morning...now it looks like it might be some time on Thursday evening...or earlier.

DH: Is the laundry caught up? Don't pack my toothbrush this time. Last time, I had to dig through my suitcase to find my toothbrush. I will pack my toothbrush when I'm ready to pack it. When is the ice supposed to be here? Yes, dear. I know you're not a meteorologist, but when is it going to be here? Can't we just drive straight east then go south? Can't you find a route to the port without going through the ice? Is Ice Road Truckers on?

Me: Dear Lord, I don't think our suite is going to be big enough!

DD: How much longer until we leave? Do I have to go to school Thursday? What if there's ice? I bet they'll close school. Can we leave now?

Me: Dear Lord, ditto.

DDaddy: (On the phone) When are you going to come pack my stuff? This storm thing could be bad, you know. I'm going to need another suitcase. You never give me the big suitcase. Are you going to bring me another one, or am I going to have to buy a whole set just to get what I need? I don't know why you refuse to give me the big one. Just because I'm (don't use the word old) doesn't mean I don't need the big suitcase. Are you still there? I said I need another %$@* suitcase....

Me: Dear Lord, ditto, again.

Can't you find a route to the port without going through the ice? Is Ice Road Truckers on?

DDaddy: (On the phone) When are you going to come pack my stuff? This storm thing could be bad, you know. I'm going to need another suitcase. You never give me the big suitcase. Are you going to bring me another one, or am I going to have to buy a whole set just to get what I need? I don't know why you refuse to give me the big one. Just because I'm (don't use the word old) doesn't mean I don't need the big suitcase. Are you still there? I said I need another %$@* suitcase....

This Is. Hysterical!:D:D:D