What do you prefer?

Diplomat? No. I just try to pick the battles I can win. :)

Remember the old quote?

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; the courage to change the things I can; and enough wisdom to know the difference."

Or something like that.

Dave

Edited by pierces

Not sure about the same photos, but as for the same answers, to me that is a result of new people asking the same questions that have been asked many times before.

That's why I accept the repeated questions. I have been working with computers for many years and the nature of what I do requires me to search and gather information. Because of that, I realize that search engines are not the first thing that most people think of when they need a questioned answered. Mostly, they ask a friend and these boards are frequented by a particularly friendly group.

I find that smiling and giving an answer or a link to an old thread is about the same amount of work as launching a tirade about using search...and it is easier on my blood pressure! :D

Dave

Edited by pierces

I just notice that some members post their same photos (and answer) over and over again. Wouldnt it be better to just post a link to an earlier answer/posting?

I do see a lot of use of the quote function where it creates a duplicate of the original post along with the photo(s) outlined in shaded blue. Is this what you are seeing? If more than one person answers using Quote, it can create quite a stack of duplicated/quoted entries.

Dave

I do see a lot of use of the quote function where it creates a duplicate of the original post along with the photo(s) outlined in shaded blue. Is this what you are seeing? If more than one person answers using Quote, it can create quite a stack of duplicated/quoted entries.

:)

Ugh, I have to admit that is one of my top pet peeves. Especially when they quote the entire text and 6 huge pictures and then just say 'nice review' or 'where did you eat dinner on Tuesday?'. :rolleyes: :D

Most people probably don't know if you just right click on the one photo you want to comment on, you can just copy and paste that one into your reply.

:)

Ugh, I have to admit that is one of my top pet peeves. Especially when they quote the entire text and 6 huge pictures and then just say 'nice review' or 'where did you eat dinner on Tuesday?'. :rolleyes: :D

Most people probably don't know if you just right click on the one photo you want to comment on, you can just copy and paste that one into your reply.

I totally agree.

Sent using a small piece of fruit.

I love this one!

The first thing I did when I got my iPad was to erase that annoying line.

I have no desire to provide free advertising for anyone.

Except a good piece of fruit!!!

I love this one!

The first thing I did when I got my iPad was to erase that annoying line.

I have no desire to provide free advertising for anyone.

Except a good piece of fruit!!!

I wish I could take credit for the idea, but no. I stole it from a guy on Flyertalk who signs his with something like "sent from a place using a thing" (or something close to that). Gotta have a little fun on message boards, some folks who post on them are wound way to tight. :)

Sent using a small piece of fruit.

I don't have a problem with new people asking questions that have been asked and me reading the same answers. It is the new person who we are trying to help and the easier we make it for them, the better.

That I dont got problems with either. But some members seems to be very proud of their photos (and threads), and post the same photos over and over again..

New questions or old, I wish there was more apparent presence of higher-end photographers like me - folks who are willing to carry 2-3 cameras and 3-6 lenses on a trip because they want to shoot, folks who seem like a good sounding board for what lenses I will rent on our next Alaska cruise, etc. Don't get me wrong, as I have plenty of respect for the folks who shoot with a more basic DSLR camera (or lower than that) with 1-2 lenses, but I don't feel like there's much representation of folks who appreciate the magic of prime lenses, etc.

For example, I'm debating what to take on our next Alaska cruise: do I take the 600/4 with a 1.4x TC, a 400/5.6, a 70-200/4IS, each on a camera, with a 24-70/2.8 and 15/2.8 on my belt, or do I sacrifice a little bit on the long end and try the new 200-400/4 with built-in 1.4x (I shoot Canon, if it wasn't already obvious), a 70-200/4IS, and a 24-70/2.8, with a 15/2.8 on my belt, or ??? I figure the 600/4 plus the 200-400/4&1.4 is too heavy for me to carry to multiple excursions, and I don't think a 100-400 would hold up well (because of its push-pull nature) if it's getting hung from my shoulder often.

We're in a photography branch of a larger cruise & travel forum, so what happens here is about what one should expect in the circumstances we find ourselves in. For most of the people stopping by, camera is the last thing they think of & they need answers --quick, which is we come in. More help desk --Traveler's Aid, photo division, than discussion group.

New questions or old, I wish there was more apparent presence of higher-end photographers like me - folks who are willing to carry 2-3 cameras and 3-6 lenses on a trip because they want to shoot, folks who seem like a good sounding board for what lenses I will rent on our next Alaska cruise, etc. Don't get me wrong, as I have plenty of respect for the folks who shoot with a more basic DSLR camera (or lower than that) with 1-2 lenses, but I don't feel like there's much representation of folks who appreciate the magic of prime lenses, etc.

For example, I'm debating what to take on our next Alaska cruise: do I take the 600/4 with a 1.4x TC, a 400/5.6, a 70-200/4IS, each on a camera, with a 24-70/2.8 and 15/2.8 on my belt, or do I sacrifice a little bit on the long end and try the new 200-400/4 with built-in 1.4x (I shoot Canon, if it wasn't already obvious), a 70-200/4IS, and a 24-70/2.8, with a 15/2.8 on my belt, or ??? I figure the 600/4 plus the 200-400/4&1.4 is too heavy for me to carry to multiple excursions, and I don't think a 100-400 would hold up well (because of its push-pull nature) if it's getting hung from my shoulder often.

"High-end" photographers? Are you referring to photographers with obvious skill who cruise to provide venues to expand their opportunities to create excellent photos? If so, there are several that post here regularly. A cruise to me is primarily a photo tour with really good food. "Photogenic" is the primary choice in destinations.:D

Are you cruising to Alaska or taking an expedition tour? Unless you are heading out to the far reaches of Denali or Wrangell–St. Elias for a week or willing to spend $2500 on float plane excursions, there's not much use for artillery like a 600 f/4 around the cruise ports. On our last trip, we did a few things like bear and whale watching tours along with some in-town walkabouts. I never felt cheated carrying the DSLR with a 70-200 f/2.8 along with a 16-50 zoom on the NEX-7 for wide shots. We took a trip through the Panama Canal in 2005 with Nat-Geo photographer Michael Melford as the guest for Celebrity's enrichment series and I was fortunate enough to spend some time talking to him outside of the presentation events. We talked about gear and he is a big fan of "less is more". After a bunch of cruises carrying a sherpa's-load of "just in case" equipment, I have to say I agree. Looking back at all the stuff I hauled along and never took out of the case, I have settled on taking only what experience has told me I really need and substituting a little more effort and imagination for the 40 lbs of photographic ballast. I also found I spend more time shooting and less time digging in the pack trying to decide what to use for a shot.

To each their own as to equipment, but don't judge a photographer's enthusiasm or skill by the size of their camera collection. ;)

Enjoy your trip!

We're in a photography branch of a larger cruise & travel forum, so what happens here is about what one should expect in the circumstances we find ourselves in. For most of the people stopping by, camera is the last thing they think of & they need answers --quick, which is we come in. More help desk --Traveler's Aid, photo division, than discussion group.

Exactly! (A little friendlier than you typical help desk, perhaps...)

Dave

Edited by pierces

Are you cruising to Alaska or taking an expedition tour? Unless you are heading out to the far reaches of Denali or Wrangell–St. Elias for a week or willing to spend $2500 on float plane excursions, there's not much use for artillery like a 600 f/4 around the cruise ports. On our last trip, we did a few things like bear and whale watching tours along with some in-town walkabouts. I never felt cheated carrying the DSLR with a 70-200 f/2.8 along with a 16-50 zoom on the NEX-7 for wide shots.

Looking back at all the stuff I hauled along and never took out of the case, I have settled on taking only what experience has told me I really need and substituting a little more effort and imagination for the 40 lbs of photographic ballast. I also found I spend more time shooting and less time digging in the pack trying to decide what to use for a shot.

On our first Alaska cruise, I rented the 500/4 and thought it served me well (on a 1.3x crop body). Of the six lenses we took, I think it was only the 16-35/2.8 that didn't get used (rented EF-S 10-22 essentially took over). On our second Alaska cruise, I rented the 400/4 DO for the lighter weight, and when paired with a 1.4x on FF, I really enjoyed it but wished I had a bit more for some of the eagles we saw. Oddly, I think it was the 16-35 that never left the bag on that trip also; otherwise everything got well used, and we had some big gaps (I was carrying the 400+1.4x and the 24-70, she was carrying a 70-200 and the 14, so if we got separated we each had a hole).

To each their own as to equipment, but don't judge a photographer's enthusiasm or skill by the size of their camera collection. ;)

I have no intention of doing that. I just cringe when someone says they'll be upgrading to an entry-level DSLR with a kit lens, and because they're a good photographer they think they'll enjoy the 55-250 or the 75-300. They might be a good point&shooter, but I doubt they understand the meaning of aperture, the value of aperture at long FL, and the shutter speeds necessary to achieve non-blurry shots.

They might be a good point&shooter, but I doubt they understand the meaning of aperture, the value of aperture at long FL, and the shutter speeds necessary to achieve non-blurry shots.

That's what we're here for!;)

Many of the regulars that answer such questions post some pretty detailed and informative answers. Since a lot of the questions get repeated (the original thread subject:)) I have taken some time to write and post a collection of articles like this one on adding lenses that contain intros to the subject.

A little hand-holding and some good basic info goes a long way towards getting someone up to speed on the Trinity of Exposure and how it affects an image. From there who knows...we may be launching some careers!

Dave

I guess I am in the minority in terms of equipment I carry with me when I cruise when it comes to photographers.

I have a bunch of different lenses, but always go back to the 28-200 lens on my Sony A55. It lets me get close, and far away with a single twist, and takes great pictures.

Can I get something in dim light very far away? Probably not, but with the capabilities of the image sensors now, I can get some great pictures by bumping the internal ISO up. On my last cruise there was lightning in the clouds off the side of the ship. I got some great pictures of that with my camera I had.

But I always follow the mantra that having a camera ready to go is much better than not having the camera ready to take pictures.