All things Anthem of the Seas :)

BillOh

LOL!

Either they find the most hilariously uninformed people or they just get a kick out of screwing with us...

Ok Dave, you posted this comment on March 24th, and what foresight you had after last night's news on Anthem going to Bayonne over Florida.

One can only wonder where she will disappear to in April of 2016, similarly to the Quantum news last night. That will be next years holy crap, I didn't see that coming.

Ok Dave, you posted this comment on March 24th, and what foresight you had after last night's news on Anthem going to Bayonne over Florida.

One can only wonder where she will disappear to in April of 2016, similarly to the Quantum news last night. That will be next years holy crap, I didn't see that coming.

LOL. Well, I'm certainly hoping we get to keep Anthem here in Bayonne! RCI already had some mega tonnage debuting in 2016, so that would, theoretically at least, make it easier for them to keep her here.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

LOL. Well, I'm certainly hoping we get to keep Anthem here in Bayonne! RCI already had some mega tonnage debuting in 2016, so that would, theoretically at least, make it easier for them to keep her here.

Anthem will end up replacing Quantum in Bayonne per the announcement.

That ends any interest from many people not living in the Northeast U.S. in the Quantum class ships for cruising (no, I don't live in Florida either - and this is not really about Florida-based cruises).

We already saw plenty of negative responses/comments/posts from many regular RCI customers about the downside to a Bayonne-ported Caribbean cruise plan. It's nothing against Bayonne NJ itself.

It's great for that region and makes some business sense in terms of the large population nearby, but many other cruisers aren't fond of the idea of going to a snow-risky, often-cold location to launch a warm Caribbean cruise during peak cruise season (not to mention packing for two alternative climates).

Having lived much of my life in a colder/snowy winter climate...and glad to no longer have to deal with that kind of climate...the Bayonne port for Caribbean cruise departures is nearly an appalling concept...especially on "vacation". That doesn't even include the higher costs of that location (hotels, flights, etc.), not to mention the increased travel risk based on weather delays/cancellations.

OK...so now that all that is out on the table...this clearly good thing for RCI is probably going to lead to a number of folks re-thinking their RCI loyalty, as well as future plans on RCI cruises.

Some cruisers could feel betrayed by RCI - with the initial announcement of Quantum porting in Bayonne but then Anthem out of Florida. Now with Quantum going to China and Anthem being moved up to Bayonne - this new strategy could change their appetites for the Quantum class entirely.

We'll have to see how this unfolds.

Anthem will end up replacing Quantum in Bayonne per the announcement.

That ends any interest from many people not living in the Northeast U.S. in the Quantum class ships for cruising (no, I don't live in Florida either - and this is not really about Florida-based cruises).

We already saw plenty of negative responses/comments/posts from many regular RCI customers about the downside to a Bayonne-ported Caribbean cruise plan. It's nothing against Bayonne NJ itself.

It's great for that region and makes some business sense in terms of the large population nearby, but many other cruisers aren't fond of the idea of going to a snow-risky, often-cold location to launch a warm Caribbean cruise during peak cruise season (not to mention packing for two alternative climates).

Having lived much of my life in a colder/snowy winter climate...and glad to no longer have to deal with that kind of climate...the Bayonne port for Caribbean cruise departures is nearly an appalling concept...especially on "vacation". That doesn't even include the higher costs of that location (hotels, flights, etc.), not to mention the increased travel risk based on weather delays/cancellations.

OK...so now that all that is out on the table...this clearly good thing for RCI is probably going to lead to a number of folks re-thinking their RCI loyalty, as well as future plans on RCI cruises.

Some cruisers could feel betrayed by RCI - with the initial announcement of Quantum porting in Bayonne but then Anthem out of Florida. Now with Quantum going to China and Anthem being moved up to Bayonne - this new strategy could change their appetites for the Quantum class entirely.

We'll have to see how this unfolds.

You realize a third Quantum Class ship is coming out in 2016 right? I don't think anybody would be surprised if it ends up doing exactly what Anthem was originally intended to do, with winters in FLL...

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

You realize a third Quantum Class ship is coming out in 2016 right? I don't think anybody would be surprised if it ends up doing exactly what Anthem was originally intended to do, with winters in FLL...

Yes...and so what?

The point about "marketing betrayal" for Anthem still applies...and what kind of credibility does RCI now have going forward about any new ship plans going forward?

Point to ponder...

How many people first heard the marketing hype about the new Quantum class and had enthusiasm roughly a year ago...

...months later...only to be dismayed at the port decision...

...more months later...some folks regaining enthusiasm based on the Anthem port location news...

...and now yet more months later this news...

Quite the roller-coaster ride.

I posted this on page 2 of the other thread, but it seems relevant here and I wanted to reference it:

Wow, just when I was thinking that Royal Caribbean was losing their edge they go and pull a brilliant maneuver like this. It really is incredible what they have done here. We all expected 3 Quantum ships to do the following:

• Quantum: Year round from NYC starting in Fall 2014
  • Anthem: summer in Southampton and winters in Ft Lauderdale starting late spring 2015.
  • Quantum3: No confirmed details but expected to go to China starting early summer 2016

What we now have is:

• NYC: quantum for winter 2014/2015, Liberty for summer 2015 since Bermuda is not ready, and then anthem for winter 2015 on since Bermuda should be ready by summer 2016.
  • Southampton: Anthem for summer 2015 and then Quantum3 for summers starting 2016.
  • China: quantum starting summer 2015.
  • Ft. Lauderdale: Quantum3 for winters starting in 2016.

They've managed to take care of the Bermuda issue (with the loss of a Quantum class ship in NYC for the summer), get a ship to China a year earlier and still not take anything away from Southampton or any long term (or unesesary) loss for NYC. Essentially by summer 2016 everything will still be on the original plan but with all the ships swapped around. We've all know for a while now that Quantum would not be going to Bermuda for summer 2015, but instead of NYC losing her entirely it's just for the season.

The real question is how does this effect Oasis3. With Quantum3 premiering in the UK at the same time I doubt Royal Caribbean will want them to compete so she'll probably be headed directly to the US with an old Oasis class vessel headed to Barcelona for atleast that summer.

We have known that the UK market was going to be getting the Anthem, and that was "their" ship. With her now destined to the US and Quantum3 likely becoming "their" ship will we see a backlash against Anthem? I don't expect it over the change, but out of loyalty. While the NYC market has been yelling for a different ship for years the UK market seems to get very attached to their ship. With the announcement of Anthem it seemed like more people were actually saddened by the loss of Indy than excited about the gain of new hardware. I personally saw just how passionately people spoke of Indy while on the transatlantic in 2012. Knowing that this ship will only be around for one year I have to wonder just how much people over their will want to get attached to this ship or if they will all just wait for "their" ship to arrive a year later. It may give an excuse to try the new P&O Britannia instead. Anybody from the UK have thoughts on this?

Edited by DEIx15x8

Killed my interest in Quantum class for now, hasn't really hurt my interest in RCI or cruising in general, but will make me that much more skeptical about the "next" new ship to come down the line.

Glad I went to my backup plan for next Thanksgiving rather than "waiting" on Anthem though.

I guess this proves the USA is loosing their status as a superpower. Even Royal Caribbean doesn't have faith in the country anymore. They are sending their newest ship away very fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess this proves the USA is loosing their status as a superpower. Even Royal Caribbean doesn't have faith in the country anymore. They are sending their newest ship away very fast.

I wouldn't go that far. A business recognizing the opportunities presented by emerging markets and the USA remaining a superpower aren't mutually exclusive... It's just good business practice, as much as it irritates me personally.

RCI is building a bunch of new ships, I think just about everyone here realized they were going to be expanding their deployments in Asia... just perhaps not immediately (Quantum 3 instead).

Lol. This really did make me chuckle out loud.

Let's all take a look inside the RCCL deployment team meeting shall we?

"Bermuda officials are telling us the dredging won't be finished until Fall 2015, therefore Quantum will not be able to dock."

"Well, USA market is dead now. We had a good run."

The real thought process is:

Quantum can't dock in Bermuda until 2016. We need a ship to still do Bermuda runs from Cape Liberty. Lets move Quantum to China 2 years ahead of schedule and have Indy do 2015 Bermuda runs. Anthem will take it's place in New Jersey starting in Winter 2015. And Quantum 3 will replace Anthem in Southhampton and Fort Lauderdale. Easy peasy. Lets all get lunch.

The 2 main "drivers" of this movement is: A. Bermuda dredging and B. Growing market in Asia. If Bermuda can't accomidate Quantum yet, it only makes sense to move that ship to a place they were planning on putting a Quantum class anyway.

This is what each port is losing:

Bayonne: Losing a Quantum class ship for 6 months. Gaining Indy May-Nov for Bermuda runs. Anthem starting in Winter 2015.

Southhampton: Losing Anthem after 2015 season. Likely gaining Quantum 3 in 2016.

FLL: Likely Quantum 3 in winter 2016.

So the 2 main home ports of Quantum class ships, keep Quantum class ships. FLL gets a Quantum class 1 year later than expected.

NJ and Southhampton really aren't losing much. FLL loses for a year. But FLL is offset by having PLENTY of other ships.

Question .. we have booked onto the Anthem TA from Southampton to Florida at the end of October 2015. Does that mean we're now going to NJ?? Can they make that kinda switch? TBH I would find it an exciting switch so not complaining just asking.

Lol. This really did make me chuckle out loud.

Let's all take a look inside the RCCL deployment team meeting shall we?

"Bermuda officials are telling us the dredging won't be finished until Fall 2015, therefore Quantum will not be able to dock."

"Well, USA market is dead now. We had a good run."

The real thought process is:

Quantum can't dock in Bermuda until 2016. We need a ship to still do Bermuda runs from Cape Liberty. Lets move Quantum to China 2 years ahead of schedule and have Indy do 2015 Bermuda runs. Anthem will take it's place in New Jersey starting in Winter 2015. And Quantum 3 will replace Anthem in Southhampton and Fort Lauderdale. Easy peasy. Lets all get lunch.

The 2 main "drivers" of this movement is: A. Bermuda dredging and B. Growing market in Asia. If Bermuda can't accomidate Quantum yet, it only makes sense to move that ship to a place they were planning on putting a Quantum class anyway.

Bayonne: Losing a Quantum class ship for 6 months. Gaining Indy May-Nov for Bermuda runs. Anthem starting in Winter 2015.

Southhampton: Losing Anthem after 2015 season. Likely gaining Quantum 3 in 2016.

So the 2 main home ports of Quantum class ships, keep Quantum class ships. FLL gets a Quantum class 1 year later than expected.

NJ and Southhampton really aren't losing much. FLL loses for a year. But FLL is offset by having PLENTY of other ships.

Bayonne is getting Liberty of the Seas when Quantum leaves.

NJ and Southampton really aren't losing much. FLL loses for a year. But FLL is offset by having PLENTY of other ships.

Unfortunately what gets lost in that translation is that numerous existing or upcoming cruise bookings will be scrapped...in addition to the false assumption by RCI that "musical chairs ships" will be accepted with replacement vessels offering less or different features attracting their customers.

The loyal/existing U.S. cruiser is the biggest loser in this...and RCI will come to learn that.

The have alienated many of their long-time and most loyal cruising customers in this process. Based on the hundreds of posts on this topic reflecting that sentiment and anger of the decision...in less than 1/2 day....this makes the balcony smoking ban look like a cakewalk.

Dumbest customer-centric decision made by RCI to date.

Just plain ole cancelled? No rebooking to NYC?

Sorry, yes they are offering an alternative cruise on Anthem departing from Southampton on 27th October, but no details as to where it goes. Someone just told me on here that its an 8 nighter straight to Bayonne. We can book onto that instead with protected rates and any refund if applicable, plus $100 onboard spend as comp.

Or we can switch to the Allure TA at the end of October from Barcelona, same deal.

Or refund, or book another cruise and pay any fare difference.

Just rang em twice and noone has info to give out yet apparently.

I kinda like the New Jersey option, means I can visit NYC again, but gonna have a think.

I have seen a few post above were people are stating in some ways that Anthem is leaving South Hampton. The careful wording put out by RCI states ..."winter 2015-16 season". So she could very well head back to UK and another ship replace her out of NJ. They could re-do the whole deployment mess again in spring 2016.

The announcement of the new deployments is upsetting. We were really looking forward to sailing Anthem out of Ft Lauderdale. I just hate that they are catering to the Chinese, who will definitely make a lot of money from Quantum. I still love cruising, still looking forward to my Navigator cruise next year, but doubt if I could be exactly "Loyal to Royal" after this. Not so high up in C&A that it would be a great loss to look at other lines.

Musical ship and all that switching

The announcement of the new deployments is upsetting. We were really looking forward to sailing Anthem out of Ft Lauderdale. I just hate that they are catering to the Chinese, who will definitely make a lot of money from Quantum. I still love cruising, still looking forward to my Navigator cruise next year, but doubt if I could be exactly "Loyal to Royal" after this. Not so high up in C&A that it would be a great loss to look at other lines.

I just don't know how loyal I will be loyal to Royal either. I was looking forward to sailing the Anthem out of FLL in the fall of 2015. Sending so many ships to Europe and Asia really has me wondering . Port Canaveral is really expanding but I just learned today that they are bring in a new Carnival ship. Looks like PC is catering more to Disney Cruise Line and Carnival. I am Diamond + and this news has me wondering where Celebrity would talke me. To sum it up, this news really stinks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Musical ship and all that switching

I just don't know how loyal I will be loyal to Royal either. I was looking forward to sailing the Anthem out of FLL in the fall of 2015. Sending so many ships to Europe and Asia really has me wondering . Port Canaveral is really expanding but I just learned today that they are bring in a new Carnival ship. Looks like PC is catering more to Disney Cruise Line and Carnival. I am Diamond + and this news has me wondering where Celebrity would talke me. To sum it up, this news really stinks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Royal is building a 3rd Oasis class ship. I would doubt they would sent that one to China. I would bet they have 3 Oasis class ships based out of Florida. Maybe one will sail the Mediterranean in the summer. I would think the new Oasis ship will be better than the first two. Especially since it's been a number of years between them.

I just posted the same article in the Deployment thread

From Seatrade Insider

http://www.seatrade-insider.com/news/news-headlines/bold-quantum-move-has-strategic-sizzle-in-china-sparks-doubts-in-us.html

China's emerging cruise market has been energized by the Quantum of the Seas news, but in the US Royal Caribbean officials were put on the defensive by media who questioned if the line is turning away from its base and sacrificing yields. Some see South Florida, New York and even California as losing out.

'The world is changing. Our sourcing is changing,' responded Royal Caribbean International's Lisa Lutoff-Perlo, evp operations, during a US media briefing Thursday. 'We are trying to take a balanced view of deployment.' As for yields, 'Sometimes our decisions are strategic, not financial in nature.'

North America, she added, is 'always at the forefront of everything we do.'

According to Lutoff-Perlo, Quantum's deployment has sparked 'tremendous energy and excitement' in Asia. The Shanghai announcement drew scores of reporters when Royal Caribbean regional vp Zinan Liu broke the news, accompanied by Dominic Paul, vp international.

Back in the US, media asked why China, a market that has been slow to develop a taste for cruising, is getting the company's most innovative ship. For those who have never cruised, wouldn't an older vessel impress just as well?

In a note, UBS Investment Research expressed surprise about Royal Caribbean's decision. 'Given that the China sourcing market is still emerging, cruise operators will not typically send their latest, greatest ship to a market that has not developed a strong year-round base of demand,' analyst Robin Farley wrote.

'We have great confidence in the market in China,' said Chris Allen, associate vp global deployment and itinerary planning, who noted demand there has been accelerating. Not long ago only a Vision-class ship served the market; now that is up to a pair of Voyager-class vessels. Their strong acceptance led to the Quantum move.

The resulting deployment reshuffle, that pulled Quantum sister Anthem of the Seas from its Port Everglades schedule in winter 2015—was that really due to to weaker Caribbean pricing for South Florida cruises? a Miami Herald reporter asked.

South Florida has the premium-priced Allure of the Seas and Oasis of the Seas, Vicki Freed, svp sales, trade support and service, pointed out. Instead of Anthem, the newly revitalized Navigator of the Seas will be moved into South Florida from Galveston.

Allen noted Royal Caribbean will have record capacity in Florida this coming year, and 'a whole plethora of itineraries' from Miami, Port Everglades, Tampa and Port Canaveral.

And Freed maintained travel agents in the Greater New York area are enthusiastic about the succession of three new Royal Caribbean ships they'll be getting.

Quantum of the Seas debuts at Bayonne, N.J.'s Cape Liberty in November. When the ship moves to China next May, the Freedom-class Liberty of the Seas takes over in Bayonne for Bermuda, Caribbean and Canada/New England cruises in the summer and autumn. Then, following its Southampton inaugural season next summer, Anthem of the Seas replaces Liberty for Bahamas and Caribbean cruises in winter 2015/16.

(Liberty will go to Galveston, replacing Navigator.)

New York-area agents 'feel like they're getting a trifecta—three of the best ships,' Freed said. She insisted the Northeast US feedback has been 'very positive.'

California hasn't had a Royal Caribbean ship in several years. Is Asia a more desirable source market for the brand than California? a Southwest US reporter asked.

China's huge population base can't be ignored, Freed said, and Royal Caribbean hopes to be back in California some day, however itinerary options from there are 'somewhat limited.' Allen assured the West Coast US is a market Royal Caribbean continues to review.

To align Quantum of the Seas for Asians, the company will make minor modifications during the ship's 15-night repositioning cruise to Shanghai next spring. These include changes to retail, gaming and, in order to slightly modify menus, the galleys.

In light of China's potential, might an Oasis ship be in the cards?

With the trio of Quantum-class newbuilds and Oasis 3 in the orderbook, 'we had always planned to send one of these new ships to Asia,' Lutoff-Perlo disclosed, adding that plans were accelerated with Quantum of the Seas.

'We will always keep a very balanced view for all our markets,' she reiterated. 'While I could never say never [about Oasis], it's too soon to tell.'