Disappointing Thanksgiving Navigator cruise

matj2000

I think the embarkation experience for the first Navigator/Galveston cruise sounds like it was pretty much what I would expect from a ship coming off a TA and arriving at a new home port for the first time.

Agree, but you had to be there when the first embarkation was announced, there is a huge sign on one end of the terminal that says TO SHIP>>>

Turns out you should head in exactly the opposite direction! So people who were in the front of the priority group ended up in the back and were a bit put off. They had the waiting area roped off from the restrooms which also was not so bright. Neither were big deals to us but you would think if any thought was put in to logistics at the terminal it would start with these two things;)

Agree, but you had to be there when the first embarkation was announced, there is a huge sign on one end of the terminal that says TO SHIP>>>

Turns out you should head in exactly the opposite direction! So people who were in the front of the priority group ended up in the back and were a bit put off. They had the waiting area roped off from the restrooms which also was not so bright. Neither were big deals to us but you would think if any thought was put in to logistics at the terminal it would start with these two things;)

It seems like they've done it differently every year. One year Priority was right by the escalators, the next year we were in a little side room, then the following year we were back by the escalators and the side room was for passengers in wheelchairs/needing assistance.

Sigh...maybe now that the Navigator is staying for a while they will get a system down and stick with it!:D I agree on the logistics...seems like the terminal designers need to revisit the course titled "Large Crowds 101!":eek:

That just burns me up when I see snotty posts like that. YOUR experience does not make it a universal truth.

Thanks wolf-

You stated exactly what I was thinking. While I'm certainly sorry that the OP had challenging experiences on NOS, I don't plan to allow that to affect my excitement about my 5/18/14 sailing. I've never been to Galveston TX, and for a very brief, hot minute I began having some doubts about this cruise after reading some of the previous comments. The truth is, however, that a BAD cruise is relative; people have different tolerance levels for problems. I'm certain that there were PLENTY of people who were on that same sailing who had a fantastic time. So next Spring, I plan to cruise with the expectation of an outstanding vacation! :cool:

Thanks wolf-

You stated exactly what I was thinking. While I'm certainly sorry that the OP had challenging experiences on NOS, I don't plan to allow that to affect my excitement about my 5/18/14 sailing. I've never been to Galveston TX, and for a very brief, hot minute I began having some doubts about this cruise after reading some of the previous comments. The truth is, however, that a BAD cruise is relative; people have different tolerance levels for problems. I'm certain that there were PLENTY of people who were on that same sailing who had a fantastic time. So next Spring, I plan to cruise with the expectation of an outstanding vacation! :cool:

If you go onboard with a great attitude you will have a great time! You are on vacation that in itself is wonderful. Enjoy your time on the navigator it's a great ship!

I too am sorry that Beachin had a bad Galveston experience. But close to half my cruises have been out of there and the only truly "bad" experience was fog related. There have been other glitches but nothing comparable to our Port Canaveral experience where the computers went down and we stood outside in the heat with no chairs, no water, one filthy bathroom for 2 hours and aboslutely zero communication from anyone working there. We even had one security guard try to stop us from getting in the line we were entitled to be in! :eek: But I certainly don't call Port Canaveral the worst port in the 48. I prefer to think it was an isolated bad experience.

Galveston is often a bit rough at the port the first cruise or two. Their port personnel are probably brand new. Now that Navigator will be there year round, some of the issues will get smoothed out.

Galveston itself is a delightful, historic island with nice pre and post cruise options.

We sailed NAV out of NOLA last February. I felt like the staff and service was not up to my expectations of Royal. This was not a port issue and it was not after a transatlantic. It just seemed like everyone was going through the motions from the CD to the performers to the dining room to guest services. It was not terrible but there was no Royal WOW to be found.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, please excuse all the typos.

We've been on 4 cruises out of Galveston - 1 with Princess, 1 with Carnival and 2 with RC. The first one (2004) I thought it was somewhat rough, but it's generally gotten better over the past few years, plus we figured out a few do's (reserve parking at a nearby private lot and walk into port) and don'ts (try to drive through and drop off luggage - multi-lane traffic chaos). We're booked on Navigator in Feb, right after the refurb. Galveston has never been the smoothest port for us as far as getting on and off ships. Certainly not compared to Ft Lauderdale, Vancouver, or even Civitavecchia (other ports we've cruised out of). However, living near Austin, it's certainly the easiest to drive to rather than having to fly. If all things were equal as far as choosing ports and I didn't live a few hours driving distance away, I wouldn't choose it over others (far from airports, etc.). But for us Texans, it works quite well. I'm sure after a few cycles, the port staff will have the process down. With Galveston being primarily a seasonal port, they probably have many newbee employees every fall.

Though it has been two years since we sailed, our cruise on Navigator was one of our best. We were aboard the year the ship was doing the 8 night itineraries out of Ft. Lauderdale that Indy now does.

It seems like every ship has issues with its first cruise, if not its first few cruises, after repositioning. I think that I would pass on booking any ship in that time period. Last year people were complaining about Indy for weeks after it returned from the UK.

Could be because it was the first cruise after the TA?

I did the first med cruise after the TA on Navigator in 2011 and it was great other than a storm coming in on the first night.

The drydock looks good though except I wonder if it will become crowded with that many new cabins.

Galveston has only one car rental company, Enterpise, and they are closed on Sunday. The worst port for people not driving down or wanting better than a shuttle bus.

Plus, many of the hotels on the island require a 2 night stay on the weekend. Not the best port for the fly-in cruiser.

I too am sorry that Beachin had a bad Galveston experience. But close to half my cruises have been out of there

So - you admit to having limited port experience - admit you are geographical biased because it is close to you - don't read nor heed the 3+ years of port reviews that complain about the same old issues at this port (even some from - GASP - Texans!) - and now this is MY problem?

Here's your sign.....

I'm as done with this thread as I surely am with that port. Enjoy your cheap close cruises while it lasts. Remember that if the rest of us don't come because of the poor port - YOU LOSE YOUR BOAT! Comes down to $.

Good luck.

Plus, many of the hotels on the island require a 2 night stay on the weekend. Not the best port for the fly-in cruiser.

We stayed at the Holliday Inn across from the beach and it was great. One night stay but we were a large group and booked 6 rooms.

Interesting thread so far. :)

With two cruise ports within 1 1/2 drive for us I hope someday they will have cruises that are longer, and go somewhere other then the Caribbean. We have made so many trips (non cruise) to the Caribbean we really have no interest in a cruise going there. Maybe some day. :D

So - you admit to having limited port experience - admit you are geographical biased because it is close to you - don't read nor heed the 3+ years of port reviews that complain about the same old issues at this port (even some from - GASP - Texans!) - and now this is MY problem?

Here's your sign.....

I'm as done with this thread as I surely am with that port. Enjoy your cheap close cruises while it lasts. Remember that if the rest of us don't come because of the poor port - YOU LOSE YOUR BOAT! Comes down to $.

Good luck.

Everyone yield all opinions to Mr. Experience-know-it-all Beachin2! If you disagree it is because you are obviously a moron, not in his league of knowledge, and probably are an idiot Texan as well! He will also take his toys and go home, curse you, and then smirk when we are all left high and dry with no ships. I just do not know how in the world I make it through life without having him guide instruct me in all of lifes foibles and picadilloes.

Before you come back to castigate my sarcastic taste on your post, take a little time for introspection. Yes, your tone is off putting and condescending.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I497 using Forums mobile app

Everyone yield all opinions to Mr. Experience-know-it-all Beachin2! If you disagree it is because you are obviously a moron, not in his league of knowledge, and probably are an idiot Texan as well! He will also take his toys and go home, curse you, and then smirk when we are all left high and dry with no ships. I just do not know how in the world I make it through life without having him guide instruct me in all of lifes foibles and picadilloes.

Before you come back to castigate my sarcastic taste on your post, take a little time for introspection. Yes, your tone is off putting and condescending.

I could make a crack about "De Nile" just being a river in Africa, but ...........................

Enjoy your port - while you have it - folks don't do specific cruises for a reason.

First of all I resent your "idiot Texan" remark, not called for. We have cruised out of Galveston and the last time was in March and it was not a good experience. We've gone out of Port Canaveral, Fort Lauderdale and

Vancouver BC. Of all Vancouver was the best, no problems whatsoever. Problems can happened anytime anywhere, just roll with the punches and enjoy your cruise.

First of all I resent your "idiot Texan" remark, not called for. We have cruised out of Galveston and the last time was in March and it was not a good experience. We've gone out of Port Canaveral, Fort Lauderdale and

Vancouver BC. Of all Vancouver was the best, no problems whatsoever. Problems can happened anytime anywhere, just roll with the punches and enjoy your cruise.

rraider1961 is a Texan. He was criticizing Beachin2 who he believes thinks Texans are idiots. Re-read the post please.

We have never sailed on Navigator ( will be on her in Feb:D ) but have sailed once out of Galveston. I remember the embarkment being a little rough but our cruise on Voyager was one of the best! It is inconvenient to have to fly into Houston and find transportation to Galveston, but it is also inconvenient to sail out of Port Canaveral for the same reason. We had really great dining companions on the Voyager, and several were from Texas. We loved it and are looking forward to the Navigator after she is refurbished. For what it's worth, it was no picnic to sail out of Port Libery either, but if that is where I have to go for the cruise I want, no biggy... I don't have to spend the whole week there!

Remember that if the rest of us don't come because of the poor port - YOU LOSE YOUR BOAT! Comes down to $.

It would be a shame if that happened because opinions were formed based on this non-representative sample. I doubt that it will as Galveston cruises have been commanding a premium since the port Recovered from Ike.

It is my hope that RCCL will take a more active role in training shore side employees in the port and avoid changing out so much of the crew when contending with the expected issues that come with a repositioning of this nature.

If Galveston wants to have a successful 2 ship terminal. they need to support the 2nd terminal as well as they do the 1st. With a year-round commitment from RCCL, this will come. The economy in the Houston is booming so I would bet it's rather though to find good help for these jobs - particularly when the start during a holiday.

I realize these issues but you would think that RC would be much more prepared. They re-position ships all the time and I thought they would have a plan.

May I suggest writing Royal Caribbean with a detailed list of issues. I've never had a problem with RC, but I have had issues with airlines. In contacting air carriers, I've gotten various responses, ranging from crediting of miles and issuing vouchers to being told that an issue I had on board would be made into a scenerio for flight attendant training.

Some of your problems will be resolved with the Navigator going into dry dock. But, problems with staff and such need to be addressed by headquarters.

It would be a shame if that happened because opinions were formed based on this non-representative sample. I doubt that it will as Galveston cruises have been commanding a premium since the port Recovered from Ike.

It is my hope that RCCL will take a more active role in training shore side employees in the port and avoid changing out so much of the crew when contending with the expected issues that come with a repositioning of this nature.

If Galveston wants to have a successful 2 ship terminal. they need to support the 2nd terminal as well as they do the 1st. With a year-round commitment from RCCL, this will come. The economy in the Houston is booming so I would bet it's rather though to find good help for these jobs - particularly when the start during a holiday.

Your position is very well stated, and I agree with you. You offered up a possible solution (training), rather than just pointing out a negative. As I posted earlier, I'm sailing out of Galveston in May 2014....with a positive attitude and the expectancy of a great time! ;)