Jewel Day by Day Photo Review 11/16/2013 (Southern Caribbean)

Me too- especially since its different ports!! But we had a dog and 16 yo who not have appreciated that!;) Keep Coco warm for us... we really enjoy the vibe there!

Hey BostonFred, I've seen you around he-ah befo-ah!;)

I have been on this ship twice in the last 18 months...no slippage that I could see. If anything , I think that Royal is making more things electronic and "seamless" and it is making it easier for the service to be top notch. I didn't find the ship at all "down at the heels", and I'd be honest...you saw my Hotel Plaza Des Aramas report, right? I am positive, but I don't sugar coat!

I think the current captain is setting the tone for service...he's very passenger involved and I believe these things pass through the whole crew when the top really walks the walk, and doesn't just talk the talk.

DH found the beds fine..he's tall and found that the beds are ample to fit him and I don't feel squeezed (which sometimes happen when we have to share a double:eek:)

I think you will see that in my earlier part of the review, that I find the lounge entertainment fairly strong- I especially liked the special performance of jazz by the house band in the Centrum. The headliners are always hit or miss- I generally find them energetic and talented, it's all a matter of if that particular "genre" interests you, for instance we like juggling, but not 3 tenors.

Now the production shows, I have been honest about in both this review and in my last Jewel review. While the performers are talented, I don't think they are very good productions to begin with. Both were too frantic, too disjointed and the music to "b" side for me to really enjoy them much. But again, that's one woman's opinion. I guess when it comes to entertainment, my thought is this, with such a port intensive itinerary, it doesn't need to be great because with such busy days, I'm ready to hit the hay by 10 PM!

I hope this helps; I really can't see the negative reviews, but I have traveled on Oasis class, and if you are expecting the same non stop, WOW, you may be let down. I went into Jewel knowing it was about the ports and I was pleasantly surprised by how friendly and fun the crew was. I also like the smaller ship for "running into" people frequently. So there are trade offs, but its' all here, my opinion- and I had a GREAT cruise!!

appreciate all your efforts with the review aand reply to my questions...we feel much better about the jewel and the itinerary can't be beat...hope to cross paths someday on a future cruise!!:D:D:D

Wonderful review. Love the detailed descriptions. I wonder if you would share the brand of shoes you were wearing when you were in your 'leased' chair. They look so comfortable and I have so many foot issues I'm always looking for that perfect pair!

Thanks so much!

Thank you for another spectacular review with great, great pictures. We were all set for a Thanksgiving cruise out of San Juan but had to cancel (broke my arm). It was the first time I have ever had to cancel a cruise in 25 years and I was so disappointed. Thank you for taking me to the islands I didn't get to this time. We were set to go with Gina in Barbados and she was so sweet when I had to cancel. I absolutlely thought you looked great in the blue dress. Wishing your lovely family a wonderful holiday and safe and happy new year. Can't wait for the next review. Deby

LOVE YOUR REVIEWS! Thank for sharing with us! :)

Thanks for reading!!:D

Wonderful review. Love the detailed descriptions. I wonder if you would share the brand of shoes you were wearing when you were in your 'leased' chair. They look so comfortable and I have so many foot issues I'm always looking for that perfect pair!

Thanks so much!

Thanks!!! The shoes are J 41's...Adventure On. I wish I could tell you more about them, but I bought them at DSW just based on how they looked:o But they are very comfortable. I like them because I can wear them with "athletic" type clothes or they dress up a bit for slacks at the airport (and because they slip off they are good airport shoes) I would say they "look" athletic, without actually "being" athletic...they were good for cruising, or a 1/2 hour on the elliptical in the gym, but I would not have hiked or run in them. Not much support. I brought them because like a lot of my travel items; they do a lot of things, none of them well! :rolleyes: Hope that helps!

Edited by Familygoboston

Very well done! Thank you so much for sharing your trip with us. :)

Thanks for cruising along!!

Thank you for another spectacular review with great, great pictures. We were all set for a Thanksgiving cruise out of San Juan but had to cancel (broke my arm). It was the first time I have ever had to cancel a cruise in 25 years and I was so disappointed. Thank you for taking me to the islands I didn't get to this time. We were set to go with Gina in Barbados and she was so sweet when I had to cancel. I absolutlely thought you looked great in the blue dress. Wishing your lovely family a wonderful holiday and safe and happy new year. Can't wait for the next review. Deby

Thanks, Deby!! Oh, I think I remember you posting about that:( That is such a bummer, I do hope you are healing! I found Gina at Calabaza wonderful to work with, I would def do that again, so I hope you get to go!

Thanks about the blue dress...DH actually picked it out for me...he's a wonderful shopper (and I hate shopping) because he has a "good eye", which is why his photography is good too, I think...he can see stuff that's going to look right. I was skeptical...I'm kind of a conservative girl, but he was right, I loved the color and the "flow" of that dress (and I'm not going to lie, all that "flounce" is nice camouflage at the end of your cruise, if you know what I'm Im talking about :p;))

Thanks for reading!!:D

Thanks!!! The shoes are J 41's...Adventure On. I wish I could tell you more about them, but I bought them at DSW just based on how they looked:o But they are very comfortable. I like them because I can wear them with "athletic" type clothes or they dress up a bit for slacks at the airport (and because they slip off they are good airport shoes) I would say they "look" athletic, without actually "being" athletic...they were good for cruising, or a 1/2 hour on the elliptical in the gym, but I would not have hiked or run in them. Not much support. I brought them because like a lot of my travel items; they do a lot of things, none of them well! :rolleyes: Hope that helps!

Thanks so much for all the info. I also thought the blue dress was beautiful!

Thanks so much for all the info. I also thought the blue dress was beautiful!

Oh thank you! Now I need another cruise so I can wear it again! I just looked up my shoes on line- the model is metropolitan, which would explain why they work "at the airport" and "at the gym";)

Thanks for taking the time to do this extensive review. We were on the Jewel b2b in October in the cabin next to yours. Sean was our room steward. He was excellent. Always cheerful and always helpful.

Thanks! He was one of the best we've had recently! And he made it so much fun by answering all my little doodles!:D

Thanks for the review. We have done Fajardo's BioBay twice. If you go when there is very little to no moon, it is awesome. Not nearly as impressive if there is anywhere close to a full moon. The trip through the mangroves is really cool and a bit eerie. There is a canopy right above you that all sorts of wildlife are just hanging out observing! Well worth the trip!

Thanks for the review. We have done Fajardo's BioBay twice. If you go when there is very little to no moon, it is awesome. Not nearly as impressive if there is anywhere close to a full moon. The trip through the mangroves is really cool and a bit eerie. There is a canopy right above you that all sorts of wildlife are just hanging out observing! Well worth the trip!

That's what we loved about it!! The mangrove at night was as much fun as the bay. It would have been perfect if it was just 12-15 people and we had a night vision light (red). I would have loved to see what was making all that noise! When I showed interest, our guide had a regular flashlight and he was able to help us spot a few iguana in the trees. Many of the locals told us the concentration of the organisms has been down more recently, and you really need it dark to get a good show.

We read the first part of your long (and excellent) illustrated trip report before going on our week-long cruise on the Allure (the infamous snapped life boat #1 cable trip). Because of many issues including the top speed limitation, the life boat # 1 fiasco and others, we had severely curtailed time available in St Thomas and a slightly reduced time in St. Martin. As these are our 2 favorite islands we felt that we got gypped out of our islands. So what did we do?

Easy, while on board, we booked this cruise on the spur of the moment as we walked out of Schooner Bar after coming in second AGAIN in trivia and saw that the LA had time available right now. We are doing the non-Aruba leg. So thanks for inspiring us. We last sailed out of SJ in 2004.

You are one funny writer. I rank you up with Radio.

Edited by The Big Booper

We read the first part of your long (and excellent) illustrated trip report before going on our week-long cruise on the Allure (the infamous snapped life boat #1 cable trip). Because of many issues including the top speed limitation, the life boat # 1 fiasco and others, we had severely curtailed time available in St Thomas and a slightly reduced time in St. Martin. As these are our 2 favorite islands we felt that we got gypped out of our islands. So what did we do?

Easy, while on board, we booked this cruise on the spur of the moment as we walked out of Schooner Bar after coming in second AGAIN in trivia and saw that the LA had time available right now. We are doing the non-Aruba leg. So thanks for inspiring us. We last sailed out of SJ in 2004.

You are one funny writer. I rank you up with Radio.

Wow! That's high praise, much thanks!:o

I have read about those "squeezed" port times on Allure, that's a shame! I'm glad you found your way to the LA and booked Jewel. You certainly won't be sorry in terms of ports...there is plenty to do in each port, and the biggest job will be deciding what to do!:D. Enjoy!

pS- you gotta step up your trivia game, man!

Edited by Familygoboston

Wow! That's high praise, much thanks!:o

I have read about those "squeezed" port times on Allure, that's a shame! I'm glad you found your way to the LA and booked Jewel. You certainly won't be sorry in terms of ports...there is plenty to do in each port, and the biggest job will be deciding what to do!:D. Enjoy!

pS- you gotta step up your trivia game, man!

On the Oasis class, the LA office is next to the Schooner Bar so no wandering is involved.:)

There were 30 teams playing Progressive trivia and of our team of 6, 2 were useless so even though we finished 3rd out of the 30, we were somewhat satisfied. The team that won also won most of the other trivias; they were all well rounded but each of the 6 specialized in different areas. 5 different games they scored perfect 20s, no shame in losing to them.

The only downside to the Jewel trip, no St. Thomas, but can't always get perfection.

Does the Aruba leg go to St. Thomas?

Fantastic review. We will be on a 10 day Legend of the Seas cruise visiting some of the same Islands. Your wonderful pictures have me excited.

Thanks Whynot,,,all picture credit goes to DH!! That 10 day sunds really appealing! You get all those great ports AND a few days to decompress!:D

On the Oasis class, the LA office is next to the Schooner Bar so no wandering is involved.:)

There were 30 teams playing Progressive trivia and of our team of 6, 2 were useless so even though we finished 3rd out of the 30, we were somewhat satisfied. The team that won also won most of the other trivias; they were all well rounded but each of the 6 specialized in different areas. 5 different games they scored perfect 20s, no shame in losing to them.

The only downside to the Jewel trip, no St. Thomas, but can't always get perfection.

Does the Aruba leg go to St. Thomas?

Sounds like you did admirably! Frankly, I try keep DH very far away from trivia...oh, he looks longingly at the Cruise Compass when it's listed, but I know how competitive he gets:rolleyes: Usually, I am hissing "you only win a key chain" in his ear as he is standing on the piano arguing about some Beatles lyric :eek: I try to use the spreadsheet to avoid them..."oh look here, we can't do trivia...the spread sheet says its time to...";)

I have to ask you...what do you like to do in St Thomas? It ahs not been one of my favorites unless we go to t John, Water Island or do a charter sail...what do you like in ST T...I'm still searching for something I love (like I love SMX!) without having to "travel" to another island or out onto the sea (none of which I mind!!)

Hope you enjoy Jewel - there were a lot of trivias- 80's music etc...have fun!

Edited by Familygoboston

Thanks Whynot,,,all picture credit goes to DH!! That 10 day sunds really appealing! You get all those great ports AND a few days to decompress!:D

Sounds like you did admirably! Frankly, I try keep DH very far away from trivia...oh, he looks longingly at the Cruise Compass when it's listed, but I know how competitive he gets:rolleyes: Usually, I am hissing "you only win a key chain" in his ear as he is standing on the piano arguing about some Beatles lyric :eek: I try to use the spreadsheet to avoid them..."oh look here, we can't do trivia...the spread sheet says its time to...";)

I have to ask you...what do you like to do in St Thomas? It ahs not been one of my favorites unless we go to t John, Water Island or do a charter sail...what do you like in ST T...I'm still searching for something I love (like I love SMX!) without having to "travel" to another island or out onto the sea (none of which I mind!!)

Hope you enjoy Jewel - there were a lot of trivias- 80's music etc...have fun!

I am also a competitive person but hold it down for trivia.

There are some nice beaches on ST (avoid Magens Bay if many ships in). Some good recommendations here on CC, check out the reviews. Max'sMom just completed a b2b on Indy and publishes a nice photo review here on CC. She is a beach person and can advise on that.

We like to dock in Havensite and frequently do the Paradise Point tram up the hill, beautiful spot to take pictures. At our age (not late 60s anymore;)) we don't do the adventure stuff you and DH do. But there are good excursions on ST.

Go onto the Ports of Call boards here on CC and look at ST, lots of experienced people there to advise you.

I am also a competitive person but hold it down for trivia.

There are some nice beaches on ST (avoid Magens Bay if many ships in). Some good recommendations here on CC, check out the reviews. Max'sMom just completed a b2b on Indy and publishes a nice photo review here on CC. She is a beach person and can advise on that.

We like to dock in Havensite and frequently do the Paradise Point tram up the hill, beautiful spot to take pictures. At our age (not late 60s anymore;)) we don't do the adventure stuff you and DH do. But there are good excursions on ST.

Go onto the Ports of Call boards here on CC and look at ST, lots of experienced people there to advise you.

I love Max's Moms reviews...and I look for her "toes at the beach" photos! :D I prefer Havensite too, last two times we went we were on Allure and OA and of course, they dock at Crown Point! We love to go to St John, last trip we did a sailboat charter, and before that biked on Water Island. I've read that the taxis are both pricey and a bit dicey:eek:, so we haven't done the beaches or sites on St T in years! Maybe next time I am there I will try the paradise tram, we have never done that! As you can see, DH does like to take pictures!;)

I love Max's Moms reviews...and I look for her "toes at the beach" photos! :D I prefer Havensite too, last two times we went we were on Allure and OA and of course, they dock at Crown Point! We love to go to St John, last trip we did a sailboat charter, and before that biked on Water Island. I've read that the taxis are both pricey and a bit dicey:eek:, so we haven't done the beaches or sites on St T in years! Maybe next time I am there I will try the paradise tram, we have never done that! As you can see, DH does like to take pictures!;)

I follow maxsmom's reviews too as i love her style of writing and all the pictures and I have found yours just as enjoyable! In fact we are following in your footsteps a week on Saturday and the trip she took on Adventure last Christmas is our b2b departing on 5th Jan.

Thank you so much for all the time and effort that has gone into this.

thanks for the review of bio bay. I have wanted to go for many years but never seemed to find the time to fit it in. Now I know more of what to expect.

the pictures have been great. I am so ready for my Jewel cruise in a few weeks. My niece and nephew want to visit a nice beach or two so I may have to try the one you went to in St Martin. My nephew is looking forward to a lot but wants to try out the climbing wall a few times. Now to go back and look at a few more compasses.

michelle

thanks for the review of bio bay. I have wanted to go for many years but never seemed to find the time to fit it in. Now I know more of what to expect.

the pictures have been great. I am so ready for my Jewel cruise in a few weeks. My niece and nephew want to visit a nice beach or two so I may have to try the one you went to in St Martin. My nephew is looking forward to a lot but wants to try out the climbing wall a few times. Now to go back and look at a few more compasses.

michelle

Enjoy your cruise Michelle!!

Are your N & N teens, or young adults?? If so, I would say they might rather stay on the part of Orient beach where the water sports shack is located...you can't miss it, there are all kinds of boats and tow-ables on the beach, it's very near where you get dropped off. But there are so many activities to try...para sailing, "tubing" on a tow-able, renting kayaks, etc etc. If they are pretty active, they may enjoy being close to that shack where they can watch the proceedings and participate in what they enjoy!

We actually snapped a photo of this on the beach...look for it, and you will be in the right spot!!

51GIcFNdeCL.jpg

My uncle has a home on the lake in Maine and his previous tow-able has "popped" and they aren't cheap...plus hes so great about using his gas to take the kids out for hours and hours on the lake! :D So DH and I are giving him this one at our Christmas party this weekend (shhh! its a surprise!). We figured if this one holds up to tourists all day, every day, year round, it should last a few summers in Maine!! ;) The kids love all going together!

I follow maxsmom's reviews too as i love her style of writing and all the pictures and I have found yours just as enjoyable! In fact we are following in your footsteps a week on Saturday and the trip she took on Adventure last Christmas is our b2b departing on 5th Jan.

Thank you so much for all the time and effort that has gone into this.

Thank you!! Are you doing B2b too?? That sounds wonderful, because you get so many different islands that way! Enjoy! When things get crazy at the holidays, I often think..."wouldn't it be wonderful to just escape on a cruise this time of year";) Ideally, with the kids and their (eventual) families, rather than spending oodles on stuff! Maybe one day!

Have a great cruise (or two!)

It's great, by switching ships to do the b2b we visit Barbados, BVI, Aruba, Curacao, St Kitts (twice but never been before), Dominica, st Thomas and St Maarten.

I'm so excited, in less than 24 hours we will hopefully be taking off at London Heathrow headed for Newark on the first leg of our journey.