Jewel Day by Day Photo Review 11/16/2013 (Southern Caribbean)

It's great, by switching ships to do the b2b we visit Barbados, BVI, Aruba, Curacao, St Kitts (twice but never been before), Dominica, st Thomas and St Maarten.

I'm so excited, in less than 24 hours we will hopefully be taking off at London Heathrow headed for Newark on the first leg of our journey.

You are on your way! Maybe a review when you get back?:D

Have a great cruise!

• 2 weeks later...

They are really neat, and I am sorry that DH didn't get any photos from when 5-10 of them all jumped out at the same time! By the time he came over the big school of them had been passed by and only one or two jumped out at a time, but for a while there were big schools jumping out of the water...it was amazing!

I think that once they leave the water they become a flock.

They are really neat, and I am sorry that DH didn't get any photos from when 5-10 of them all jumped out at the same time! By the time he came over the big school of them had been passed by and only one or two jumped out at a time, but for a while there were big schools jumping out of the water...it was amazing!

I think that once they leave the water they become a flock.

That makes sense Rotney- they probably need to "look" like one large fish when they are out of the water so the birds don't eat THEM! It's a dog eat err, bird eat fish world out there;)

I can watch wildlife for hours, I find it fascinating that we live alongside these creatures every day, and some like birds, people pay absolutely no attention to and yet they are living out these fascinating behaviors right under our noses!

Edited by Familygoboston

I so enjoyed your review of the Jewel, your excursions and SJ. They were so informative and the pictures were fantastic. I picked up so many ideas from your precise descriptions.

We are booked on the Jewel Feb. 8th - 15th but arrive in SJ on the 7th and have a couple of days on the backside.

If you have time and still have the file, would you please e-mail me the compii that you scanned? I have spent all day reading your posts and have had trouble leaving my computer to do things that need to be taken care of.

I wish I could take as many trips as you do. I need to become your follower so I can "take the cruises" with you through your reviews. :)

This ship and this itinerary are all a first for us. I don't plan very well and DH would rather have no plan at all but I just can't do that for these gorgeous port of calls. My e-mail address is glorial56@comcast.net

Thank you again.

Gloria

Edited by TexasGal#35

I so enjoyed your review of the Jewel, your excursions and SJ. They were so informative and the pictures were fantastic. I picked up so many ideas from your precise descriptions.

We are booked on the Jewel Feb. 8th - 15th but arrive in SJ on the 7th and have a couple of days on the backside.

If you have time and still have the file, would you please e-mail me the compii that you scanned? I have spent all day reading your posts and have had trouble leaving my computer to do things that need to be taken care of.

I wish I could take as many trips as you do. I need to become your follower so I can "take the cruises" with you through your reviews. :)

This ship and this itinerary are all a first for us. I don't plan very well and DH would rather have no plan at all but I just can't do that for these gorgeous port of calls. My e-mail address is glorial56@comcast.net

Thank you again.

Gloria

Aww! Thanks Gloria! I love to travel and I love sharing my travels, I struggle with that not wanting to come across as "braggy", but in the end travel is something we prioritize over other stuff, and I love to talk travel!:D

I also read reviews, and I have been guilty of spending too much time reading them when I find a good one.;). The compasses I have are jpgs, I can send you the files, but they are pretty much the same as what I've posted. Ill try to get on the computer tomorrow and put them in an email for you. This morning, I'm celebrating a big win by my Pats:D:D

I think you will love Jewel, and these ports! If you don't really love to plan, you can have a nice time "winging it". We met a lovely young couple that just went out and picked a cabbie every day to take them to the major sites- and they had a nice time too! I'm a planner, so I can't do that:o. Hope you have a great cruise! Just a couple of weeks!

Thank you again.

Gloria

One thing you could try is picking up a book like Frommer's guide to cruising or his guide to the Caribbean. When we first started cruising I found it really helpful in planning that I wanted to do at each port of call. After visiting islands several times I sometimes will go with no particular plan in mind and just wing it. But my first visit anywhere usually involves a lot of reading and research and having a plan.

Very interesting photo review...thanks for the entertainment...and the great photos. :):):):)

This one in San Juan was my favorite:

153587220.jpg

Thank you. I will try to print what is posted here on CC. I am not very computer oriented. Type and enter is about it for me.

Gloria

All you need to do is right click on the photo of the compass and a lost of options

will show. The easiest thing to do is to download the image into your own computer- but I will send you the files too.:D

I agree with OB- I always get a guide book for the area I'm visiting...mostly because I like to read the "culture" section. I feel it's so important to get a feel for the culture of a place before I go so I don't do anything that makes me look like a dork! Sometimes it's things like in French Polynesia, it's rude to tip. But in the Caribbean, a tour guide would expect a tip. Knowing that makes me a better guest! I like Fodors, because it has a listing of the "top 4 reasons to visit" for each island; for instance, Aruba, beaches and night life, Dominica, nature and hiking. So you can get an idea of what activity to do on which islands!

I also like to get a feel for the "top" sights when I go to a new place, often, I can find this right in Cruise Critic on the port boards, I read a few reviews of excursions that interest me or see what the locals who answer questions on that board have to say. That's the best place, I think, to find private independent tours and get a current view of how they are run! Then I cross check the info on tours I might like with Trip Advisor to see if the guides get good reviews there too.

Enjoyed reading this thread as we will be on the Jewel 1 March. Can anyone verify what time is the muster for the other southern route (St Thomas, St Lucia, etc.)? and when do they hold the meet and mingle? thanks

The Meet & Mingle time and location varies cruise to cruise. You can use this link to find yours:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/ccConfirmedPartyList.do?src=CCC

They are not quite up to your cruise date yet.

The Meet & Mingle time and location varies cruise to cruise. You can use this link to find yours:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/ccConfirmedPartyList.do?src=CCC

They are not quite up to your cruise date yet.

Thanks Bob!

Enjoyed reading this thread as we will be on the Jewel 1 March. Can anyone verify what time is the muster for the other southern route (St Thomas, St Lucia, etc.)? and when do they hold the meet and mingle? thanks

I'm fairly certain that while doing my research I found the Muster time for Jewel leaving San Juan is at 8 PM on both itineraries. Back last summer they were doing 2; 5:30 and 8 (for only those who embarked after 5:30) but the latest compasses for both itineraries only show one muster at 8 PM. It's between MDR seatings and on our cruise you couldn't be seated at MTD after 6:30, so the crew could be ready for their jobs and you could get to Muster. MTD opened up again at 8:30. Maybe someone who has recently sailed the St Lucia itinerary can confirm this?

Thank you. I will try to print what is posted here on CC. I am not very computer oriented. Type and enter is about it for me.

Gloria

Gloria, I sent all 28 photos of the cruise compasses to your email...hope it goes through for you!

Awesome review!

Thanks!! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the wonderful review. I really enjoyed it, even though it will not be the same itinerary we will have on our 11/1/14 Jewel cruise - we are going to St. Thomas, St. John, St. Croix, Antigua, St. Lucia, and Grenada!

You kept mentioning the ship being updated - do you know when it is going into dry dock? Actually looking forward to going on this ship before the changes. We have been on the Brilliance and enjoyed that so know we will love this cruise, too. Actually, with the current temps in NE, wish we were on those warm islands now!!

Thanks for the wonderful review. I really enjoyed it, even though it will not be the same itinerary we will have on our 11/1/14 Jewel cruise - we are going to St. Thomas, St. John, St. Croix, Antigua, St. Lucia, and Grenada!

You kept mentioning the ship being updated - do you know when it is going into dry dock? Actually looking forward to going on this ship before the changes. We have been on the Brilliance and enjoyed that so know we will love this cruise, too. Actually, with the current temps in NE, wish we were on those warm islands now!!

Hi Chickadee! Thank you! Yes, it's a bit chilly in NE right now ;)

This from CC Refurbishment page:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=521

April 2016

During a 2016 dry-dock, Jewel will gain number of new restaurants (Asian, steakhouse, Italian), a new bar, the line's now signature Royal Babies & Tots Nursery, a poolside movie screen and flat-screen TV's in the cabins. Note: details are subject to change.

So you should get the "old ship", which I think is in pretty terrific condition!! The big change after 4/2016 will be the utilization of the WJ spaces, right now, its not crowded enough, you can actually get a seat, so that has to change:rolleyes: Im kidding, of course, but while I love that expansive WJ, you can see it's more space than they want for that use, so more dining options are coming!

You've got a long wait, but planning and dreaming is a great way to make the time pass :D

Hi Chickadee! Thank you! Yes, it's a bit chilly in NE right now ;)

This from CC Refurbishment page:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=521

April 2016

During a 2016 dry-dock, Jewel will gain number of new restaurants (Asian, steakhouse, Italian), a new bar, the line's now signature Royal Babies & Tots Nursery, a poolside movie screen and flat-screen TV's in the cabins. Note: details are subject to change.

So you should get the "old ship", which I think is in pretty terrific condition!! The big change after 4/2016 will be the utilization of the WJ spaces, right now, its not crowded enough, you can actually get a seat, so that has to change:rolleyes: Im kidding, of course, but while I love that expansive WJ, you can see it's more space than they want for that use, so more dining options are coming!

You've got a long wait, but planning and dreaming is a great way to make the time pass :D

Ha!! I am on vacation and don't care about the flat screens as I don't watch TV on vacation, use computer, cell phones, etc (my kids are married and 28 and 30 so not in same position as you - in fact, DH and I are not in our late 50's!) Hope they don't take away the outside seating at WJ as enjoyed that a lot on Brilliance! Not worried about condition of the ship ( as long as it is seaworthy!), just glad that I'm away from home and don't have to plan meals for a whole week! Someone else is doing the cleaning and the cooking - sounds great to me - just add the sunshine and it is perfect!

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you for all the great info!

Glad it was helpful...I realized after I posted on your thread that the letter you were looking for was on page 57 or 58, but when I went back to edit, CC was down...I tried every which way to get back to edit and couldn't get the page to load...so sorry:(

Enjoy your cruise!:D

Count me in as another Bostonite by association who loves your reviews (I'm another graduate of the "school across the river" ;) ). I'm excited when I find a new one (I loved the good karma one).

I really enjoy your sense of humor and writing style. We would love to do the southern caribbean itinerary someday and you're giving me some great ideas for excursions.

Your pics/ comments about the various RCCL ships in your reviews are helpful too. We've only cruised Celebrity, but I could see trying an RCCL cruise one day (particularly one of the newer mega ships). We really enjoy Celebrity though (we are in our mid 30s- early 40s). I didn't find it sedate at all. No hairy chest competitions, but really, who wants to see to much of that :p. Plenty going on at night to do, in our opinion.

Anyway, going to fiinish reading now (I'm at Barbados). Thanks again!

Edited by shoelover536

Count me in as another Bostonite by association who loves your reviews (I'm another graduate of the "school across the river" ). I'm excited when I find a new one (I loved the good karma one).

I really enjoy your sense of humor and writing style. We would love to do the southern caribbean itinerary someday and you're giving me some great ideas for excursions.

Your pics/ comments about the various RCCL ships in your reviews are helpful too. We've only cruised Celebrity, but I could see trying an RCCL cruise one day (particularly one of the newer mega ships). We really enjoy Celebrity though (we are in our mid 30s- early 40s). I didn't find it sedate at all. No hairy chest competitions, but really, who wants to see to much of that :p. Plenty going on at night to do, in our opinion.

Anyway, going to fiinish reading now (I'm at Barbados). Thanks again!

Thanks Shoelover!! I do remember your comments on some of my other reviews!:D I have to give DH the credit for the great photos; I'll be reviewing Enchantment with my own pics, and I'm sure it will suffer;)

We've loved our smaller cruises, but we have yet to find another line that marries our casual, active lifestyle with the value we are looking for in the Caribbean...and as long as we embrace the kitsch, its all good;)

But I am already starting to investigate some other options, (I've been looking at Celebrity deck plans and trying to sort out the difference between the Aqua Class and Concierge class:confused:) so I can make some choices about what we'd like to do in 2015 before the travel dates for 2015 release for all the travel and cruise companies. We are headed to the Boston Globe Travel Show this weekend, hoping to get "inspired"!:D A return to this Southern itinerary on Navigator (as is rumored) would be pretty cool! I think you'd love this Southern route too, on either Royal or Celebrity!

Completely awesome review! We will be on the Jewel for this itinerary in March. I was especially interested in the photo of you on the Jewel balcony with the Celebrity Summit ship in the background. We will be doing a week on her, then getting off and embarking on the Jewel for a second week. I was wondering how close one ship would be berthed to the other, as we will be on foot with our luggage on debarkation/embarkation day. Did you happen to notice if there is a fence between terminals or any other barrier?

We were considering the Norman Island snorkel but was kind of put off by the description. We may do something else because the next day in St. Martin we have a very active all day speedboat/snorkel tour.

I also appreciated the "compii"-- especially since we were planning self-assist early debarkation--- until I read that it is for US citizens only. My DH is a "kiwi".

Finally, I like that khaki skirt-- looks good for travel. Mind sharing the brand?

Thanks!

Completely awesome review! We will be on the Jewel for this itinerary in March. I was especially interested in the photo of you on the Jewel balcony with the Celebrity Summit ship in the background. We will be doing a week on her, then getting off and embarking on the Jewel for a second week. I was wondering how close one ship would be berthed to the other, as we will be on foot with our luggage on debarkation/embarkation day. Did you happen to notice if there is a fence between terminals or any other barrier?the ships are docked bum to bum, so they are very close! But security being what it is, I think you should plan on having to leave one secure area and enter the other; this may involve some moving out of one fenced or secure area and into the other, rather than just off one ramp and back up the next so to speak. However there several folks in line ahead of us who had done what you are planning. I can't say exactly how many km, you have to go to get out, around and back in, but it would still be close enough that if you are in reasonably good shape and your luggage is manageable, (roller bags) you should be able to go from one to the other quite easily. I'm sure if you ask when you get off Celebrity, they can point you in the right direction and even if there is a bit of back tracking the ships (usually) are docked nearly touching, so it would not be a long walk!

We were considering the Norman Island snorkel but was kind of put off by the description. We may do something else because the next day in St. Martin we have a very active all day speedboat/snorkel tour.i can't say I love taking Royal Snorkel tours in general, but I think this one suffered for being a "last minute add" and another time it might be great! The snorkel location itself was nice, but there are so many other cool things to do in the BVI!

I also appreciated the "compii"-- especially since we were planning self-assist early debarkation--- until I read that it is for US citizens only.yes, unfortunately, it's only offered for US citizens, but you can still take your own things off when your number comes up if you want; you just can't do it as the "official program" DH and I often take just roller bags and manage our own luggage off the ship, that saves us having to go looking for our luggage once we are off the ship. Also, if you have a compelling reason to get off the ship earlier (say a tour or early flight) you can request at guest services to have an earlier disembarkation time. Now of course, holding a non US passport, they need to comply with Customs and immigration, but you should be able to leave earlier if you ask nicely at GS the night before. My DH is a "kiwi".

Finally, I like that khaki skirt-- looks good for travel. Mind sharing the brand?its actually a skort- with meshy shorts inside, which makes it even better;) I got it from Athleta, which is a catalog company associated with Gap and old Navy, we have a couple of mall stores too, but I ordered it on line. I like it a lot because it dries quick and with the shorts is good for active hiking or biking (as we did lots of that!) These kinds of shorts are my go to light packing item, because they can be used for active, but look ok running around town too for a lady who is not mid to late forties ;)

Thanks!

Hi Kat

Why, thank you! Glad it was helpful!

Sounds like a wonderful cruise!

I've answered you ??s in red above ...have a great trip!

Edited by Familygoboston

• 2 weeks later...

I LOVED reading your review! I loved all of the pictures and details. I am one of those crazy people who likes to plan out everything. (I have just started a spreadsheet of different excursions for each port. My fiancee thinks I'm crazy :P ) Thanks for sharing! We will be sailing this itinerary in January. I think we might even be staying in the same cabin as you or the one above it.