Port of Charleston

Buck64

Unfortunately no. The Preservation Society is still fighting it.

Not sure if this link will work here but this was updated 23 minutes ago.

http://skift.com/2013/12/03/charleston-cruise-port-case-to-get-mediation-next-month/

You need to put those crabby environmental people in their place. Lol love charleston because it is an easy drive to port. I long for the day when you can park your car and walk to the cruise terminal.

Unfortunately no. The Preservation Society is still fighting it.

Not sure if this link will work here but this was updated 23 minutes ago.

http://skift.com/2013/12/03/charleston-cruise-port-case-to-get-mediation-next-month/

Thanks for the info. :) Hope everything works out....Charleston only 6 hrs away for us so would like to cruise from there more often.

DW and I have thought about doing a cruise from Charleston, but wish that they offered a destination other than the Bahamas. Still might do one just to add a ship to our "sailed on" list.

Really, really hoping that Savannah will get a cruise terminal after the channel dredging is done as it is only an hour away!

I doubt that the preservationists expect to win, but in the end there will probably be a compromise with onerous restrictions placed on the industry that will make it unattractive for expansion by Carnival or any other cruise line.

I doubt that the preservationists expect to win, but in the end there will probably be a compromise with onerous restrictions placed on the industry that will make it unattractive for expansion by Carnival or any other cruise line.

You are probably absolutely correct!

LuLu

~~~~

It's so completely frustrating that a small group of rich RICH rich people can drag this out for so long. The new terminal is quite a beauty from the plans I have seen which will mesh easily into the historical area. Heck anything is better than the miles of chain link fence surrounding the property and the building next door whose roof is caving in.

I imagine that people who port into Charleston as a destination on other cruiselines must treat it like some people treat Freeport and after docking and looking at the surroundings decide to stay on the ship instead. Charleston is a beautiful city and our port terminal needs to reflect it.

We have been a port city all of our existence...why should the fact that a ship is in port for a few hours once a week make any difference what-so-ever.

Sorry about the rant...I am just sooooo flippin frustrated. :mad::o

You need to put those crabby environmental people in their place. Lol love charleston because it is an easy drive to port. I long for the day when you can park your car and walk to the cruise terminal.

We just returned from a cruise out of Charleston and we aren't likely to cruise from that port again just because of the embarkation and debarkation procedures. The cruise otherwise was nice though.

DW and I have thought about doing a cruise from Charleston, but wish that they offered a destination other than the Bahamas.

Not much better than "just the Bahamas" ... but there is a 7 night out of Charleston on May 31, 2014 on Fantasy going to Nassau, Half Moon Cay, and Grand Turk.

LuLu

~~~~

It's so completely frustrating that a small group of rich RICH rich people can drag this out for so long. The new terminal is quite a beauty from the plans I have seen which will mesh easily into the historical area. Heck anything is better than the miles of chain link fence surrounding the property and the building next door whose roof is caving in.

I imagine that people who port into Charleston as a destination on other cruiselines must treat it like some people treat Freeport and after docking and looking at the surroundings decide to stay on the ship instead. Charleston is a beautiful city and our port terminal needs to reflect it.

We have been a port city all of our existence...why should the fact that a ship is in port for a few hours once a week make any difference what-so-ever.

Sorry about the rant...I am just sooooo flippin frustrated. :mad::o

My daughter and her family live in Charleston. They are against the terminal expansion. They are not rich, rich, RICH. They have their reasons and a right to their opinion. After all, the residents are the ones who have to live there and passengers are transient.

It doesn't matter to me. I don't like sailing out of Charleston. I don't like the Fantasy and I don't like the itineraries.

My daughter and her family live in Charleston. They are against the terminal expansion. They are not rich, rich, RICH. They have their reasons and a right to their opinion.

Yes they do! It's not just the wealthy.

Actually, I have mixed feelings. :o

As a cruiser, I'd love a very convenient port with more cruise lines and better ships.

As a South Carolinian, I'd rather have Charleston stay the way it is.

LuLu

~~~~

My daughter and her family live in Charleston. They are against the terminal expansion. They are not rich, rich, RICH. They have their reasons and a right to their opinion. After all, the residents are the ones who have to live there and passengers are transient.

It doesn't matter to me. I don't like sailing out of Charleston. I don't like the Fantasy and I don't like the itineraries.

You are entitled to your opinion but as a 3rd generation Charlestonian who has followed this from the very beginning I am quite aware of the financial status of those who are bringing this suit on. Some of them have only seasonal homes here, some don't even LIVE here anymore and most live in the very affluent areas of the downtown area.

The main issue that I have with these folks is that they claim that people who sail on Carnival are not the type of people who would spend money at our hotels, restaurants and shopping areas. That the class of a Carnival passenger is somehow LESS than say your average tourist. I beg to differ on that because of how many people on these boards alone inquire about tours and hotels for pre-cruise and post cruise stay.

If you go to the port of Charleston site you will see how local businesses are eager to welcome cruisers with open arms. It is a very small amount of people in our region that are against it.

I enjoy sailing out of Charleston, mainly because I live here and LOVE sailing on Fantasy since that was my first ship to sail on. I love the HMC, Grand Turk and Nassau itinerary as well as the Nassau and LSC itinerary. Heck I even like Nassau and Freeport! I am sorry that you don't.

The area surrounding the port needs a massive makeover and the terminal plans mirror the historical impression that Charleston is well known for.

Edited by All4fun&fun4all
addtl info

You are entitled to your opinion but as a 3rd generation Charlestonian who has followed this from the very beginning I am quite aware of the financial status of those who are bringing this suit on. Some of them have only seasonal homes here, some don't even LIVE here anymore and most live in the very affluent areas of the downtown area.

The main issue that I have with these folks is that they claim that people who sail on Carnival are not the type of people who would spend money at our hotels, restaurants and shopping areas. That the class of a Carnival passenger is somehow LESS than say your average tourist. I beg to differ on that because of how many people on these boards alone inquire about tours and hotels for pre-cruise and post cruise stay.

If you go to the port of Charleston site you will see how local businesses are eager to welcome cruisers with open arms. It is a very small amount of people in our region that are against it.

I enjoy sailing out of Charleston, mainly because I live here and LOVE sailing on Fantasy since that was my first ship to sail on. I love the HMC, Grand Turk and Nassau itinerary as well as the Nassau and LSC itinerary. Heck I even like Nassau and Freeport! I am sorry that you don't.

The area surrounding the port needs a massive makeover and the terminal plans mirror the historical impression that Charleston is well known for.

We need more like you on CC. Lol what i dont understand is would they rather look at the rusty warehouse buildings there now or a nice looking terminal with many green spaces? Have they forgot that charleston is a port city?

The port area is a INDUSTRIAL area, has been that for longer than most of the residents and their past relatives. The new terminal would greatly enhanced the area... AH but there is a small problem that seems to be about money and location. The Industrial area has been coveted by some for years for it wonderful waterfront area. What would the price be for WATERFRONT homes or even better waterfront condos with all ship traffic being directed to the old "Navy base". Money talks, and you know the rest of that statement that ends with "walks".

Hopefully reason will prevail, but then again I am an optimist!

• 3 weeks later...
After reading for several months about how the hoity toity Charleston folks feel about most cruisers, my daughter and I decided to spend a few days pre cruise in Myrtle Beach instead of Charleston. My money spends very well there.

Honestly the few who think that don't have businesses, could care less whether you go here or MB. I personally would suggest coming to Charleston, spend your money and tell the businesses that you are in support of them despite the few idiots.

Truly sorry you feel that way, again it's a vocal small minority!

Honestly the few who think that don't have businesses, could care less whether you go here or MB. I personally would suggest coming to Charleston, spend your money and tell the businesses that you are in support of them despite the few idiots.

Truly sorry you feel that way, again it's a vocal small minority!

A very small and VERY vocal minority, right Bob? :p

I have been in favor of the terminal all along. It will be a vast improvement over the eyesore that it currently is.

And being from Charleston, I wouldn't consider myself or Bob hoity toity. Ok, definitely not hoity but maybe a little bit toity. LMAO!

A very small and VERY vocal minority, right Bob? :p

I have been in favor of the terminal all along. It will be a vast improvement over the eyesore that it currently is.

And being from Charleston, I wouldn't consider myself or Bob hoity toity. Ok, definitely not hoity but maybe a little bit toity. LMAO!

Oh, I didn't mean every one there was hoity toity. I know you and Bob aren't like that. I have learned a lot from reading your threads. :)