New Sample dinner menu posted!

Hgu314

Wonder if this is the entire menu? If so lot less choices than before and that would not be a good thing at all.

There's a footer at the bottom of the menu that states "Items from the grill available upon request."

Edited by sanmarcosman

I can't speak for other parts of the US, but I live in the Southeast and "family style" dining is quite nice. A wide range of side dishes and appetizers that everyone can pick from and share. I think this is good and offers more variety at one seating instead of picking only one or two appetizers a night. I'm sure there will still be the usual starters for those who aren't into "family style" dining or just don't like the appetizers offered. An interesting development to say the least.

Sent from my LG-L38C using Forums mobile app

What exactly is meant by 'with courses served tableside'? I am not quite picturing this in my mind.

That is interesting word choice, isn't it? It evokes the concept of table side food preparation like tossing a salad at the table. But "served tableside" is what they do now. Coming out from the kitchen with trays with plated food on them and then the wait staff serving you the plates at the table IS being served table side.

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out in the trials. I'm confident that operational teams from corporate will oversee this roll out hands on aboard the ships and will fine tune, change, add, eliminate service styles and menu items as the trials gets underway. I wish them well and hope this will be a positive experience across the fleet.

Edited by sanmarcosman

I can't speak for other parts of the US, but I live in the Southeast and "family style" dining is quite nice. A wide range of side dishes and appetizers that everyone can pick from and share. I think this is good and offers more variety at one seating instead of picking only one or two appetizers a night. I'm sure there will still be the usual starters for those who aren't into "family style" dining or just don't like the appetizers offered. An interesting development to say the least.

Yes, but do you share those dishes with strangers?

Just posted by John:

OK, lots of you are talking about the words “ family style “ we used when talking about our superb new menus and I want to clarify a few things for you if I may.

This is not family style as Italians would describe. If there’s a nation that knows how to enjoy good food better than the Italians, I’ve yet to meet them. Nowhere else have they made the family meal such an art form?

You’ll find whole ...generations from the grandmother in her black shawl to the babies being passed from lap to lap sitting around the same table chatting and eating, and eating and chatting, the noise of their conversation increasing with every course. Being an Italian family also means that you all have to have at least one argument at the table……because in Italy…….that is the law.

You know, Italians often sound as if they’re having a vicious argument, even when they’re discussing football, cars or rumpy pumpy. Yet these arguments are not really arguments, they are conversations spoken passionately.

It strikes me that in Britain and America we’ve lost that ability to have a proper heartfelt, and yet still civilised, disagreement. When we fall out with a stranger here on Facebook we have two modes of defence, either simmering moody resentment, or all out nuclear F-word attack. Silence or aggression…………..that’s it.

Anyway, I digress as usual. So if it doesn’t mean family style as in the Italian definition what does it mean. I simply means that if you are with your family and along with the individual appetisers you ordered you fancy something to “share” then you can and yes at bugger all extra charge.

Now if you are with a table of people you have just met that first night of the cruise then I doubt you will want to share anything straight away, especially if they are French. But…………….I know many of you love the tradition of making new friends at dinner and long may that continue. So by day three of the cruise you may decide to share a plate together but only if you wish.

That means on casual nights you can…………..or not………………share the following.

FRIED CALAMARI

Zesty tomato sauce, lemon aioli

FLATBREAD

Caramelized onions, mushrooms, ricotta cheese

KALE OR ROMAINE CAESAR SALAD

House made dressing, shaved Parmesan

We will appropriately size them based on how many guests order that particular one at the table and I will have a menu with all the appetisers and main courses etc soon

I will have an example of one of the menus tonight but thought it best that I clear this up. I think it’s a brilliant addition. Imagine, passing the Flatbread around the table, talking about the fun you had at the Punchliner comedy club last night while you wait for your appetizer of Seared Tuna with romesco vinaigrette and cucumber salad all while hoping nobody saw that just 35 minutes ago………………you ate a huge Guy Fieri burger.

If reading this has given you a extraordinary hunger then let me help diminish it by reminding you I am writing this in my underpants…………….that should help.

Just posted by John:

OK, lots of you are talking about the words “ family style “ we used when talking about our superb new menus and I want to clarify a few things for you if I may.

This is not family style as Italians would describe. If there’s a nation that knows how to enjoy good food better than the Italians, I’ve yet to meet them. Nowhere else have they made the family meal such an art form?

You’ll find whole ...generations from the grandmother in her black shawl to the babies being passed from lap to lap sitting around the same table chatting and eating, and eating and chatting, the noise of their conversation increasing with every course. Being an Italian family also means that you all have to have at least one argument at the table……because in Italy…….that is the law.

You know, Italians often sound as if they’re having a vicious argument, even when they’re discussing football, cars or rumpy pumpy. Yet these arguments are not really arguments, they are conversations spoken passionately.

It strikes me that in Britain and America we’ve lost that ability to have a proper heartfelt, and yet still civilised, disagreement. When we fall out with a stranger here on Facebook we have two modes of defence, either simmering moody resentment, or all out nuclear F-word attack. Silence or aggression…………..that’s it.

Anyway, I digress as usual. So if it doesn’t mean family style as in the Italian definition what does it mean. I simply means that if you are with your family and along with the individual appetisers you ordered you fancy something to “share” then you can and yes at bugger all extra charge.

Now if you are with a table of people you have just met that first night of the cruise then I doubt you will want to share anything straight away, especially if they are French. But…………….I know many of you love the tradition of making new friends at dinner and long may that continue. So by day three of the cruise you may decide to share a plate together but only if you wish.

That means on casual nights you can…………..or not………………share the following.

FRIED CALAMARI

Zesty tomato sauce, lemon aioli

FLATBREAD

Caramelized onions, mushrooms, ricotta cheese

KALE OR ROMAINE CAESAR SALAD

House made dressing, shaved Parmesan

We will appropriately size them based on how many guests order that particular one at the table and I will have a menu with all the appetisers and main courses etc soon

I will have an example of one of the menus tonight but thought it best that I clear this up. I think it’s a brilliant addition. Imagine, passing the Flatbread around the table, talking about the fun you had at the Punchliner comedy club last night while you wait for your appetizer of Seared Tuna with romesco vinaigrette and cucumber salad all while hoping nobody saw that just 35 minutes ago………………you ate a huge Guy Fieri burger.

If reading this has given you a extraordinary hunger then let me help diminish it by reminding you I am writing this in my underpants…………….that should help.

Why FOR A CHARGE?

Yes, but do you share those dishes with strangers?

Sometimes, depending on the venue we dine at. Some restaurants do sit you at a large table with others, it's their "dining style" and we expect this going there. But it's just large bowls and plates that get passed around the table and you put some of its contents onto a clean plate in front of you. I'm sure for those who don't like the idea of this "sharing with strangers" ATD will be available and you'll be seated with the party you came with unless otherwise requested.

That is interesting word choice, isn't it? It evokes the concept of table side food preparation like tossing a salad at the table. But "served tableside" is what they do now. Coming out from the kitchen with trays with plated food on them and then the wait staff serving you the plates at the table IS being served table side.

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out in the trials. I'm confident that operational teams from corporate will oversee this roll out hands on aboard the ships and will fine tune, change, add, eliminate service styles and menu items as the trials gets underway. I wish them well and hope this will be a positive experience across the fleet.

I took it to mean sides to be served off a platter by waitstaff. Veggies and starches. Maybe they reduce the amount plated so that people can order multiple mains without wasting the sides. I remember years and years ago waitstaff serving side dishes off of trays at request.

The sample menu looks good. Clearly only a portion of one night menu but it sounds appealing to me.

Sometimes, depending on the venue we dine at. Some restaurants do sit you at a large table with others, it's their "dining style" and we expect this going there. But it's just large bowls and plates that get passed around the table and you put some of its contents onto a clean plate in front of you. I'm sure for those who don't like the idea of this "sharing with strangers" ATD will be available and you'll be seated with the party you came with unless otherwise requested.

I'm beginning to see this is OPTIONAL. So MY/OUR option would NOT to have it served family style if it were not just our family at the table. At least I know my family's ablutions.

I took it to mean sides to be served off a platter by waitstaff. Veggies and starches. Maybe they reduce the amount plated so that people can order multiple mains without wasting the sides. I remember years and years ago waitstaff serving side dishes off of trays at request.

The sample menu looks good. Clearly only a portion of one night menu but it sounds appealing to me.

That's not a bad idea. Most times, I don't like what they give me as a side. And if and when any of us order two, we certainly don't need double sides.

I'm beginning to see this is OPTIONAL. So MY/OUR option would NOT to have it served family style if it were not just our family at the table. At least I know my family's ablutions.

That's how I read it too. You can choose to have some dishes served family style, but they can still be served individually if you wish.

That's why I was asking, I was also picturing table side preparation although I also know they don't have time for that. I want ALL of my meals served plated. I vacation with my family, including my 3 young sons. We eat in the dining room every night and my children are accustomed to fine dining and can behave appropriately thoughout a long meal (I know people won't belive me). I do NOT want Family Style dining AT ALL. I do enough plating of dinners at home and do not want to have to serve while on board. If 4 of the five of us order the same appetizer I want it presented as it currently is.

I will be aboard the Inspiration for a large family gathering after this takes effect. I am looking forward to reviews of the new dining changes to see how this is handled over all.