NCL from a Carnival Cruiser's Standpoint

mm3386

Hi all! I'm looking for some general info on the ways NCL differs from Carnival and what people have been most surprised with or missed when they have cruised NCL instead of Carnival.

Here is my background: Late twenties, from New England, cruise with my boyfriend, have only ever cruised Carnival (Pride, Miracle, Splendor) and always do your time dining because we enjoy more of an intimate dining experience for 2. My bf and I just took the 11/17 Splendor cruise and left pretty disappointed compared to previous cruises. It wasn't a bad cruise, there were just little things that by the end of the week added up and left us looking for a different experience.

That being said, I am looking at the NCL Breakaway for our next cruise. Can anyone who has cruised both NCL and Carnival tell me what I can expect the same/different? For what it's worth, I was also thinking about trying the Breeze, but with the added airfare the cost would be about the same, and my bf really wants to try another line after the Splendor issues. We have not given up on Carnival, but would like to venture out and expand our horizons a bit more. Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated!

Hi all! I'm looking for some general info on the ways NCL differs from Carnival and what people have been most surprised with or missed when they have cruised NCL instead of Carnival.

Here is my background: Late twenties, from New England, cruise with my boyfriend, have only ever cruised Carnival (Pride, Miracle, Splendor) and always do your time dining because we enjoy more of an intimate dining experience for 2. My bf and I just took the 11/17 Splendor cruise and left pretty disappointed compared to previous cruises. It wasn't a bad cruise, there were just little things that by the end of the week added up and left us looking for a different experience.

That being said, I am looking at the NCL Breakaway for our next cruise. Can anyone who has cruised both NCL and Carnival tell me what I can expect the same/different? For what it's worth, I was also thinking about trying the Breeze, but with the added airfare the cost would be about the same, and my bf really wants to try another line after the Splendor issues. We have not given up on Carnival, but would like to venture out and expand our horizons a bit more. Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated!

There are some posters here who cruise both lines. Check out Halos posts. She has done and enjoyed both lines.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app from my IPhone

I cruised Carvinal a few years ago but mostly cruise NCL.

We booked late so couldn't get ATD. I did not like the fixed dining time. I prefer to eat when I'm hungry not when I'm told to. That's one of the things I like most about NCL. No assigned dining time, eat when I want, where I want.

I sailed in a balcony on CCL and felt it was about the same size as on NCL-I have not been on any of NCL new mega ships though.

I thought that the pizza was much better on Carnival. I also thought the photographers took much better pictures on CCL-especially the ones they took in the Kids Club of my son. I loved the 24 hr ice cream-NCL's machines are often closed or out of order.

Other than one drunk out of control passenger in Cozumel that we had the pleasure of taking the elevator with I felt that the passengers were about equal on both.

I also feel the food on the MDR was about the same with CCL having a slight edge on desserts.

I don't often go to the shows at night but I think the few I have seen I would give the edge to NCL.

Now that Carnival had made some changes I would consider trying them again-especially because they go a few places NCL doesn't. It's hard to part with the suite perks on NCL though.

All in all I think they are more similar than different. Try something new :)

I am Platinum on NCL and Carnival. Sailed on the Splendor this past May and the Breakaway to Bermuda this past August. One of the main areas that NCL shines is entertainment. Breakaway has Rock of Ages, Burn the Floor, 2nd City Comedy, Howl at the Moon, live music poolside and much more. In regards to food, I feel the MDR quality and selection is pretty equal on both lines. Buffet quality and choice NCL gets the nod. I also love the numerous choices of specialty restaurants on NCL. Since DW and I are both Platinum on NCL we both get a comp dinner for two at either Le Bistro, La Cuccina, Moderna (Brazilian Steakhouse) with a free bottle of wine at dinner. Never had the chance to try Steakhouse on Carnival. Plan on dining there when I sail on the Splendor again this January. BTW our best friends sailed on the Breeze last January and had a wonderful time.

We have sailed NCL 3x and CCL 6x. In my subjective opinion the differences are as follows:

Rooms...Unless you are in a suite, CCL rooms are bigger. I've never had a suite but opinions I have read give NCL the advantage there. I did miss the reclining chair we had on the balconies of our CCL cruises on our NCL cruises and I find the bathrooms more cramped on NCL.

Service...Same.

Entertainment...NCL is better overall.

Food....MDR similar in taste but in my opinion CCL has better choices and better desserts. NCL has a better buffet in variety and layout. NCL has more Specialty Restaurants to choose from, but quality is similar. NCL has great comfort food in O'Sheehan's/Blue Lagoon...on par with CCL's Deli and Fish and Chips

Freestyle on NCL allows you to choose when and where you want to eat. NCL has one MDR and one Specialty restaurant that has a more upscale dress code. All the rest are casual every day. CCL has 1 1/2 MDR with traditional dining and 1/2 MDR with Anytime dining. CCL has 1 or 2 Elegant nights where the dress code is more upscale in both MDR. The rest of the nights are more casual. We usually have not had a wait for either freestyle or anytime the most was 15 minutes on either line only a couple times. On NCL they give you a coupon for a free glass of champagne if you have to wait.

DH did not like the crowds on NCL Epic and thought the ship too big. It did not bother me like it did him. I thought the better entertainment on Epic out weighed the crowds and the size. He prefers ships in the NCL Jewel/CCL Freedom size.

Both lines have pluses and minuses....but we love them both and have had great cruises on both. For the right price and/or itinerary we would sail either of them again. But we will definitely be sailing NCL again in the next 4 years with our Future Cruise Credit :D.

Ditto to most of what was said here

I like NCL staff and service a LOT....great buffet..."washy washy">.. very clean too....

and for me entertainment is a big factor and hands down NCL has much more/better entertainment, especially since Carnival has cut back a lot

I do feel their main dining room food is not that great, I ate in the French restaurant 2x...and wow...fantastic

However...since I cruise with group/friends/singles I have not been back to NCL cause it is hard to manage...everyone at different restaurants and shows and then people complain we did not "feel like a group"...etc...so hard to get more to book it again I have found

so fixed seating works better for me...but you will probably love NCL, great for couples and families I think

I still would love to try the Epic <grin>

Well, Carnival actually answers when you call room service.... Service on NCL was poor, to horrible. We decreased tips to zero. Food, ugh, okay. Buffet-not impressed, crappy/not healthy food. I hated the free style dining, I think it was new at the time, it was a joke, an hour wait to eat dinner, after that we had to make 'reservations' for the rest of the trip, not very free style. Entertainment, ncl-nope, not impressed. LOVE Carnival for entertainment.

If you want great service and food, try Disney. Though, I'm not a fan of Disney main shows for entertainment. I like how Carnival has different things/people. I'm not for for vega/broadway shows with dancing and musicals.

We have sailed NCL 3x and CCL 6x. In my subjective opinion the differences are as follows:

Rooms...Unless you are in a suite, CCL rooms are bigger. I've never had a suite but opinions I have read give NCL the advantage there. I did miss the reclining chair we had on the balconies of our CCL cruises on our NCL cruises and I find the bathrooms more cramped on NCL.

Service...Same.

Entertainment...NCL is better overall.

Food....MDR similar in taste but in my opinion CCL has better choices and better desserts. NCL has a better buffet in variety and layout. NCL has more Specialty Restaurants to choose from, but quality is similar. NCL has great comfort food in O'Sheehan's/Blue Lagoon...on par with CCL's Deli and Fish and Chips

Freestyle on NCL allows you to choose when and where you want to eat. NCL has one MDR and one Specialty restaurant that has a more upscale dress code. All the rest are casual every day. CCL has 1 1/2 MDR with traditional dining and 1/2 MDR with Anytime dining. CCL has 1 or 2 Elegant nights where the dress code is more upscale in both MDR. The rest of the nights are more casual. We usually have not had a wait for either freestyle or anytime the most was 15 minutes on either line only a couple times. On NCL they give you a coupon for a free glass of champagne if you have to wait.

DH did not like the crowds on NCL Epic and thought the ship too big. It did not bother me like it did him. I thought the better entertainment on Epic out weighed the crowds and the size. He prefers ships in the NCL Jewel/CCL Freedom size.

Both lines have pluses and minuses....but we love them both and have had great cruises on both. For the right price and/or itinerary we would sail either of them again. But we will definitely be sailing NCL again in the next 4 years with our Future Cruise Credit :D.

that must be new, or new since we traveled. We didn't get anything, just over an hour wait. We told that's to be expected since we showed up at prime time for dinner.

I LOVE dinner here at this time. The one thing I don't like about Disney is that you rotate dinning rooms. I'm lazy. I don't want to think. I want to know exactly where to go. lol.

I am Platinum on NCL and Carnival. Sailed on the Splendor this past May and the Breakaway to Bermuda this past August. One of the main areas that NCL shines is entertainment. Breakaway has Rock of Ages, Burn the Floor, 2nd City Comedy, Howl at the Moon, live music poolside and much more. In regards to food, I feel the MDR quality and selection is pretty equal on both lines. Buffet quality and choice NCL gets the nod. I also love the numerous choices of specialty restaurants on NCL. Since DW and I are both Platinum on NCL we both get a comp dinner for two at either Le Bistro, La Cuccina, Moderna (Brazilian Steakhouse) with a free bottle of wine at dinner. Never had the chance to try Steakhouse on Carnival. Plan on dining there when I sail on the Splendor again this January. BTW our best friends sailed on the Breeze last January and had a wonderful time.

Our favorite part of Carnival has always been the comedy club. How does NCL's comedy compare? Also, we aren't trivia or bingo people, so sometimes we found on Carnival that on cold/rainy sea days there's not much to do. Are the daily activities different on NCL?

Have cruised on both

First off the customer service on NCL is how good Carnival use to be

Carnival has larger regular cabins

NCL has great suites and real suite perks

Ncl has better buffet food

CCL has better MDR food

NCL MDR is all first come first serve no reservations

CCL better MDR service I also like having the same waiter every night

Ncl has more choice for pay restaurant

Carnival steakhouse has REAL prime steaks

Loyalty program goes to NCL

NCL....TA's are allowed to give large amounts of OBC and other perks, besides group cruises that lowers the price below Carnival

I have never had a bad cruise on either cruiseline

Our favorite part of Carnival has always been the comedy club. How does NCL's comedy compare? Also, we aren't trivia or bingo people, so sometimes we found on Carnival that on cold/rainy sea days there's not much to do. Are the daily activities different on NCL?

That would be very interesting to know!

Cold/Rainy Days can be a problem on all cruise lines .... :o

LuLu

~~~~

I have sailed on NCL Epic and Gem, am less than a week away from a sail on the CCL Freedom but have sailed Miracle years ago. I think the décor of NCL is a bit more upscale and classy as compared to the some what loud décor of CCL. I also think the entertainment on NCL is amazing. The biggest drawback for me is that NCL charges you for things every time you do anything - many of their restaurants are additional costs. While this doesn't deter me from going for the most part, I do hate the feeling of being nickeled and dimed - charge me an extra $60 to start and make it my choice to go once to each during the cruise. Many don't mind this, however. CCL, though, seems to definitely be a more laid back party crowd, which is why I selected it for a trip with my girlfriends instead of when I sail with my son. No matter which you choose, you will have a blast because you will be on vacation on the ocean!!

Since I have seen NCL's 2nd City on numerous occasions the scripted comedy is getting a little old. I definitely prefer Carnival's stand up adult shows. On cold/rainy days both lines have the usual trivia and bingo. When I sail on NCL in the Winter I usually get a Spa Pass and spend my afternoons snoozing on the heated loungers.

Edited by NYcruzzer

we have cruised both. I favor carnival over NCL. Nightlife is better on ccl. MDR food is also better. I give buffet to NCL, Pizza and ice cream is better on ccl. ccl has bigger rooms and bathrooms. thought the beds were more comfy on ncl though. like that ncl has a 24 hr "bar food" restaurant. ccl has more available deck chairs by the pool. ncl has better shows and comedy

I have sailed on NCL Epic and Gem, am less than a week away from a sail on the CCL Freedom but have sailed Miracle years ago. I think the décor of NCL is a bit more upscale and classy as compared to the some what loud décor of CCL. I also think the entertainment on NCL is amazing. The biggest drawback for me is that NCL charges you for things every time you do anything - many of their restaurants are additional costs. While this doesn't deter me from going for the most part, I do hate the feeling of being nickeled and dimed - charge me an extra $60 to start and make it my choice to go once to each during the cruise. Many don't mind this, however. CCL, though, seems to definitely be a more laid back party crowd, which is why I selected it for a trip with my girlfriends instead of when I sail with my son. No matter which you choose, you will have a blast because you will be on vacation on the ocean!!

When you say NCL "nickels and dimes you" what do they charge for that the other mainstream cruislines give you for free ? Pretty sure all lines charge for Bingo, Alcoholic drinks, Specialty restaurants, and photos. As far as restaurants NCL has 3 MDR's, buffet, Grill, Blue Lagoon/O'sheehans 24 hr diner& room service. All Free !! No need to dine in specialty restaurants unless you want to.

They do have the free restaurants, but there are also many that charge anywhere from $10 to $30. It is all how you look at it. Carnival only seems to have the steak house on the ones I've been on to upcharge you, where NCL packed their ship with additional fee restaurants. Bowling has a lane fee as well as shoe rental. I don't remember RC charging for ice time on their rink. I first sailed NCL after sailing CCL and RC and that was what stood out most to me. I think being charged for drinks and gambling is a pretty obvious charge since it has varying degrees to which you can take advantage of it.

How do the kids clubs compare? We have considered trying NCL but as much as we use and our girls love camp carnival I have been leary of jumping ship :)

Amanda from KY

wife to Danny

Mom to two girls K (10) and C (8)

First sailing on Carnival Imagination May 2010

Carnival Liberty May 2012 for hubbys graduation

Carnival Dream March 2013 (first balcony!)

Next up- Carnival Sunshine March 30th 2014.

Celebrating hubbys graduation (Bachelors degree!) and our 10 year anniversary with our first Spa room.

that must be new, or new since we traveled. We didn't get anything, just over an hour wait. We told that's to be expected since we showed up at prime time for dinner.

I LOVE dinner here at this time. The one thing I don't like about Disney is that you rotate dinning rooms. I'm lazy. I don't want to think. I want to know exactly where to go. lol.

We never had an hour wait. On the Epic in Dec 2011 we had 1 wait of 15 minutes for the Manhattan MDR on Dress Up or Not night and we received the coupons for champagne. On Jewel in October we had no waits for the MDR but we did walk past it a couple times during the prime time and people were getting the free champagne coupons with their dinner pagers and were sitting in the bars waiting to be paged....not sure how long their wait was but like I said...we never had a wait.

The CCL charges for their specialty restaurant too....NCL just has more of them for your to choose from :rolleyes:. NCL also has just as many if not more non-charge restaurants as CCL does. It is your choice to spend more, IMHO that is not nickle and diming.

The CCL charges for their specialty restaurant too....NCL just has more of them for your to choose from :rolleyes:. NCL also has just as many if not more non-charge restaurants as CCL does. It is your choice to spend more, IMHO that is not nickle and diming.

Carnival is adding more restaurants on there new builds.

Its just the way all cruiselines are trying to increase revenue

There are some posters here who cruise both lines. Check out Halos posts. She has done and enjoyed both lines.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app from my IPhone

I can sum it up by saying that I don't miss anything when I sail NCL because I prefer it. The reason is the small details.

Crew on Carnival and absolutely every line I have sailed, is always fabulous, but I give NCL crew an edge. In all honestly, I haven't sailed any of NCL's (or any other line for that matter) newer/monster sized ships, so I have no idea what you can expect on the Breakaway, but I can tell you the little differences that make NCL a better choice (at this point in time) for me and my DH, as per our experiences on the older ships.

Officers: The officers on NCL are present throughout the cruise, interacting with passengers and making sure everyone is having a good time. if anyone has a concern or complaint, they handle it immediately.

Entertainment: NCL still does the good old juggle act of bringing on/putting off entertainers at different ports during the cruise (CCL used to do this...) The variety of entertainment is excellent. The amount of live music on the ship is abundant and the nightlife is better.

Dining choices: NCL wins hands down. They have more choices....yes, some are at an added cost but they also offer more free choices that CCL. As far as food quality, I used to think CCL was superior, but on my last cruises on both lines, the food in the mdrs seemed pretty much the same. For us, because we like variety, NCL wins. They also have a better buffet if you enjoy the buffet PLUS, on sea days they do outdoor grilling and I posted a pic of it before but on our last cruise,on one of the outdoor grilling days, they made a seafood paella that has shrimp. mussels, calamari, scallops and whole lobster tails in it. It was amazing. This isn't offered all the time. Last year NCL (and HAL) both made quite a deal with the right people in Maine and bought quite a huge amount of lobster. Passengers were very happy. I hope they did it again this year...I don't live in Maine anymore, so I'm not up on the news there.

Those are the bigger things that put NCL at the top for us...but it's the smaller things to us that matter because the little things mean a lot.

When you come back from port, you hear the band playing on the lido and the crew outside on the dock are there waiting with cool drinks and towels. Is this a big deal, no....but when you get it, it's nice and when you look at the people boarding the ship docked next to you getting on with no cool towels and no band playing on the ship, you're pretty happy you chose NCL. Sometimes, there will be crew outside on the dock dancing. Passengers are all joining in and there is a party going on before you even get back ON the ship.

NCL trusts you to have a glass bottle of beer. Carnival does not. CCL will give you a 'bucket of beer' and if your choice of beer does not come in an aluminum bottle, they give you 5 plastic cups of beer in a bucket....seriously. NCL not only trusts you with glass, they allow you to actually sit at the pool with your feet in the water with a drink in your hand. CCL does not. When I cruise CCL I feel like a 6 year old kid under supervision with 'children's rules' I'm sure there will be *those* that will tell you that CCL does this to keep their passengers safe....I will argue that thus far there must have been no major incidents because NCL has allowed this for at least as long as I've sailed them (starting in 2007). I think CCL is overkill in saftey matters such as this, but in other matters seems to turn a blind eye....makes no sense.

I listed the crew and officers as one of the bigger things, but they also are part of the 'little things'. When the food and beverage manager is outside at the grill, handing out plates of food to passengers and talking to them to get their feedback, this is a small thing that makes a huge impact.

FLEXIBILITY: This is now one of my favorite things about NCL that I almost took for granted. On our first NCL cruise during the crew talent show, there was a social hostess (Jayne) who did a belly dance. She was amazing. Later that night, during one of the themed deck parties a bunch of us CC people were talking with her and some other crew and we asked her if she could do a belly dance class for us. She turned to the CD and asked if she could get one put in the schedule. He didn't hesitate and 2 days later it was scheduled. Approx 30 people showed up for it and we had a blast. If seas are rough and sows are cancelled, they offer something else. I discovered on my last CCL cruise that is NOT the case. NCL also adjusts their plans according to average age of a particular sailings AND can make adjustments in the schedule on a whim depending on what entertainment they see their passengers showing up for. Everything is fluid. Nothing is cast in stone. To us, this makes a cruise a lot better. I often say that to be a good cruiser, you must be able to go with the flow. How refreshing that a cruise line actually does this as well.

That is why I prefer NCL.

My only hope is that they stay this way....once they went public with their shares, I started to get nervous. I don't like the possibility that shareholders will mean more than passengers.

Halos...yes the "welcome back" on NCL is truly sweet...

on Pearl we had a BIG welcome from all sorts of crew, entertainment staff, guys on stilts cruise director ...all cheering and singing to us, balloons, huge welcome home banner, giving cold towels etc as we "walked the red carpet" back to ship....

next to us the Carnival cruisers trudged along looking at us in amazement and envy I think haha

I also liked the number of officers and supervisors all over the ship on NCL - when I first began sailing Carnival it seemed that they had more supervisors, officers, people in charge.....now you are hard pressed to find a worker at the buffet IMHO

I also love loved my last cruise on the newly Americanized MSC Divina.....huge huge entertainment cast /staff.,fabulous shows, interaction with staff...they even have an event called "Officer and a Gentleman" in the nightclub where couples dance and the handsome Italian officers in dress whites ask all the women to dance ! Mama Mia LOL

I've only sailed the NCL Epic, a oversized, clunky looking ship with the extra cabins plopped onto the prow. However, the interior décor was sleek and modern, not garish like CCL. Officers showed up at Welcome M&G party, gave out their cards in case anyone had an issue arise. Solo cruisers had the solo lounge to meet other cruisers and share excursions, dinners, entertainment. Cirque de Dream, Blue Man Group, Chicago Blues, Dueling pianos, and Second City Comedy far better than CCL "entertainment. Food comparable on both lines, more variety and more for fee restaurants on NCL. Shorter food lines on NCL. CCL casino better than NCL for me.