Last minute Christmas markets-possible?

CasaM

I just checked the Viking site and it appears cabins are available even in Cat. E, although it doesn't indicate which exact dates have availability, and there are airfares/transfers from the east coast for $647.

My question is has anyone ever done a last minute Christmas markets cruise?

I can't do it this year, but next year we already have a Tulips cruise in the spring and New England in the fall booked. DH doesn't want to book a Christmas markets, so I'm "planning" in the event that next year we feel like doing this at the last minute.

We always try to do last minute deals. However for Christmas market Viking may not be able to guarantee $647 air cost if booked less than 3 weeks before the cruise. Happened to me a year ago while trying to book "Romantic Danube"...

Grand Circle has available cabins on both their Danube and Rhine Christmas cruises. See http://www.gct.com/ways-to-save/last-minute-travel-deals.aspx?icid=global:waystosave:traveldeals. If you have never traveled with GCT or their sister company OAT (Overseas Adventure Travel) before, you can get a $100 per person additional discount by getting a referral from a current customer. If you don't have a friend or relative that has traveled with them, I would be glad to give you a referral. We also would get a least $100 credit toward future travel. We have done 5 river cruises with them, including the Rhine and the Danube, but not the Christmas itineraries, as well as 9 other trips. We have done several of their last minute deals and they are real. We would also be glad to answer any questions. These last minute discounts are approximately a real 50% including air. You must have the referral at booking time to get the credit.

Edited by beverlyjack

I just realized that you need to logon to the GCT site to see the last minute special. It is easy and safe to do so, but here are the 2 Christmas market specials:

Christmas Markets Along the Danube (2013)

Cruise the Danube River during the holidays on this Grand Circle River Cruise. On this popular holiday European River Cruise, you can experience the essence of Christmas in Europe, on a private River Cruise through the most beloved ports of Austria and Germany.

» See itinerary Starting at: $2445

$1295

Duration: 9 days

Traveler Rating

★★★★★

★★★★★

Special Features:

Save up to $2300 per couple- includes an upgrade to the Best Available Cabin

Travelers may apply their Travel Credits for even greater savings!

SINGLE SPACE IS AVAILABLE

Includes air from JFK

Call 1 800-221-2610 for more details

Last Minute Travel Deals:

Departure Dates Available Rooms/Decks Original Price New Price Savings Per Couple New travelers you refer pay

12/15/2013 Sonata D $2445 $1295 $2300 $1195

12/15/2013 Cantata F $2395 $1295 $2200 $1195

Christmas Markets Along the Rhine (2013)

G26493

Cruise the Rhine River at Christmastime with Grand Circle. To many, Christmas in the Old World is simply the most satisfying way to experience the season. On this River Cruise, you'll view medieval landscapes glittering with festive holiday lights and hear the familiar, heartwarming melodies of "Silent Night" and "O Christmas Tree" sung in their original German!

» See itinerary Starting at: $2895

$1495

Duration: 12 days

Traveler Rating

★★★★★

★★★★★

Special Features:

Save up to $2800 per couple Travel from only $125 per day!

SINGLE SPACE IS AVAILABLE

Enjoy the magic of the European Christmas Markets while cruising on the Rhine River

Use your Travel Credits for additional savings

Price includes air from JFK, Boston or Newark

Call 1-800-221-2610 for more details!

Last Minute Travel Deals:

Departure Dates Available Rooms/Decks Original Price New Price Savings Per Couple New travelers you refer pay

12/13/2013 Sonata Deck $2895 $1495 $2800 $1395

12/13/2013 Prelude-G $2745 $1495 $2500 $1395

You can Email me at jackthetravelingman@gmail.com

In our experience the Christmas markets departures that occur on the last week of November as well as the first week departure in December are more in demand.

The departures that occur around December 13/14 or so tend to have last minute availability on many lines.

Uniworld tends to have several cabins filled with travel agents, travel writers, etc getting comped on their December departures due to low demand. I would imagine this is the case with other lines.

Your biggest challenge will be getting air at a price you find acceptable.

Well this all makes sense...probably the mid Dec cruises that are more available, which wouldn't work because I need to be home for Christmas with family. I guess it will be a needle in the haystack finding if we indeed do get something, but this is a year away, so I'll have to wait and see. Thanks for everyones feedback.

Well this all makes sense...probably the mid Dec cruises that are more available, which wouldn't work because I need to be home for Christmas with family. I guess it will be a needle in the haystack finding if we indeed do get something, but this is a year away, so I'll have to wait and see. Thanks for everyones feedback.

We got a heck of a deal last year leaving home Dec 28.

While the actual markets were closed, all the decorations, trees, garlands, lights were still up so I guess it comes down to what you want to do...shop or just see the lights. We were good with the latter given the deal we got.:)

Hello,

Arosa has only been targeting the American market for a year and have perhaps slightly different dates or itineraries to the other companies. They are still "experimenting", i.e. changing things in 2014 from 2013 experiences. They are worth checking out. Perhaps have a look at the review currently running concerning the Arosa Silva. You find the link in the thread concering Arosa incentives.

notamermaid

That's a good point, remydiva regarding what exactly one wants to do on a CM cruise. We are not shoppers at all, but would like the decorations and food and gluwein and hot chocolate. So if all the stands are closed we'd miss out on the sausages, etc.