Balcony door slammers! Argh u raised in a barn?

Sh1035

On the Magic in August our cabin door had actually been modified to not slam shut. We loved it as we didn't have to constantly worry about accidentally slamming the door. Unfortunately, not all of the doors around us had the same feature, though there were others that did.

Meredith

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi :)

Ahhhhhhhhhh the door slammers.. I agree of course that some doors may

not latch if not pushed hard, or some people may slam a door due to being

unfamiliar with the door or their surroundings, etc, etc..

However, I think they are outnumbered by the many humans that are simply

oblivious in various multiple aspects of slamming; this goes far beyond cruise

ship door/balcony slamming.

This happens quite often in regards to slamming cabinet doors, toilet seats,

car doors, drawers, and so on and so on. The list is endless.

I wish I knew the reasons as to why, and after 35 years of apartment

living, I still do not know the true answer.

:)

Great post. This also includes appliances. I work at a hotel and our poor toaster at the breakfast bar. If the bread is placed in and the knob gently pushed down it works just fine, but no, they have to go slam, slam, slam then complain because it doesn't work.:cool:

Great topic. I have had the same problem with the cabin door leading to the hallway. Some people slam that door too, at all hours. Some people just don't think. They live in a vacuum oblivious to the rest of the world.

I find that my travel fan helps to block out a lot of that noise.

Edited by winddawn

Great post to inform people whom may not realize. I didn't realize it until my Mom informed me. Our last cruise on the Valor was a disaster with balcony door slams. We were rooming next to a room full of kids- in and out slamming the door and scraping the chairs across the floor :(

Can't forget about the chair and table scrapers that are usually right above you.

Guilty :o No matter how hard I try, I can't move my balcony chair without scraping it.

Does anyone else have a problem doing this?

LuLu

~~~~

Edited by OCruisers

It is just not your own top level suite with no one above you is it? LOL. I always wonder if the cons would bug me and make it not worth it, but I sure want a balcony one day...but the bunk vaulting kids on both sides of my inside made last cruise//EASTER NEVER AGAIN ON CARNIVAL KID PORTS// very tiresome..I did have a nice quiet mini-suite on Princess for 3 days with a friend once..wonderful..and my inside IA on Empress deck on fantasy class was wonderful and quiet usually...a little hall noise..ahh soft silicone earplugs that mold around your ear outside are the best..

I like Macks silicone earplugs..a great stocking stuffer for cruising families and friends..and of course; seeing if neighbors are willing to understand..

Edited by sjn911

On the Glory, the door would NOT shut without force. We tried everything and then asked our cabin steward for help who told us we needed to give it a good pull (slam) to get it closed. Hated doing it and avoided using it when people would be sleeping, but that door would not latch otherwise.

We had a cabin door like that and I made sure I apologized to folks around us when I saw them and explained the issue.....

Many narcissists out there, and it's all about them.

All the cruises we've been on, never had a problem not slamming it. It's called close it slowly and gently. We made sure our kids didn't slam it either.

People that accidentally let the door slam are narcissist? Really? Mistakes happen.

Guilty :o No matter how hard I try, I can't move my balcony chair without scraping it.

Does anyone else have a problem doing this?

LuLu

~~~~

I am surprised by how far you have to lift the chair in order to have it not scrape.

Thank you for posting this OP..

We can so relate to the slamming door issue.. On the Liberty we had the worst door slammers yet.. Room service SLAM, out the balcony door SLAM, in the cabin SLAM, every morning at 7 sharp.. did not even have to look at the watches to know what time it was..

This is an issue but out side of letting the person know that it is bothering you then follow up as needed there is not much the cruise line can do about it..the doors need to make a seal to keep the ship dry in the middle incase of emergency so we have to do what we can to stop the motivation to slam those doors!!

My last cruise on the Conquest I had a balcony cabin on Spa deck. The patio door didn't want to close and latch properly, so the only neighbor had to endure the door slamming closed many times before we could get it to latch. If we didn't latch it the door would open. Naturally, when the door opens the AC goes off and the door would slide back and forth......we found the trick to closing it from our cabin steward and it took a day or two to master the art of closing the patio door....

Just in from the Breeze this morning in a cove balcony the people started the balcony door slamming day 1 it was a joke at first they woke up early slammed the door then dragged the chairs across the floor, This morning our last morning onboard it was 5:30. But now that I think about it tomorrow I am sure to miss what ticked me off for 6 days..:(

Edited by chicodie

I've actually never seen this come up before but it totally bothered me on my last cruise!! It was the most that we heard doors slamming constantly at all hours. Being aware how loud it was, I would be sure to pull ours softly closed. Maybe a sign on the balcony door would help people be more aware.

I really don't understand the slamming of the balcony doors, even in my own cabin. I just hold onto the door until it is closed then latch it.

My DH was a door slammer and it drove me nuts. I told him to just hold the door until it closed. Easy peasy! He doesn't have to walk in and just let it go!

The balcony light too, I will never get that. I just never even turn it on.

This is just the mechanics of the door closer theses doors are 100lbs plus and can not just be shut easily with out closers. They are tuned to hopefully be quiet. Your neighbors are not meaning to slam the door the closer is doing it so calm down!!!

wow! I have never noticed the 'slam door' issue...Ridiculous! You're on a ship with water-tight doors...most people really don't care how the door closes as long as they get to where they want to go. I can say after more than a few cruises, I've never noticed this issue...hell, I've probably slammed a few myself. I guess cruising is really not for everyone.;) (I know, some of you will not appreciate my honesty but, oh well...:) )

I apologize for my husband's balcony door slamming. I almost said something, but felt it was payback for our neighbor's cussing/loudness on their balcony every single day. I am not a door slammer or a chair dragger.

Sacrasm I am hoping??? if not, did you consider the passengers in the cabin on the other side of you??:confused:

Seriously...getting BACK at someone like this??? Really????