Decision help... upgrade worth it? Sky or Celebrity

scottw3

I'm booked on a 5 night western carribean on the Constellation and have decided that this time around I'm going to get a suite. This is our second cruise (1st was a 7 night on the Solstice in a c2 on the hump). I currently have a Sky Suite guarantee (no cabin assigned yet). It looks like there are 3 accessible S2s available, 1 regular S1, and 1 Celebrity suite. Initially I was thrilled with a sky suite but after looking at pictures of the Celebrity suite my mind started to wonder and I started saying... what if. So here is the question... $400 extra per person for the CS from a Sky suite guarantee-- worth it? Thanks.

Edited by scottw3

Worth is a very relative term. I've met people who never book anything more than an inside cabin and don't feel anything higher is worth it. I've met others who will only cruise in the Penthouse.

My general advice is if the extra cost isn't a big deal to your cruise or general budget then go for it. But if spending the extra on the cabin means you'll have to cut back elsewhere then go for the lesser cabin and use the money to have fun doing other things on your cruise.

Edited by Lsimon

Thanks for the info. I guess it really comes down to the money and how it impacts the overall vacation. I suppose there is always a chance that I could get upgraded to the celebrity if all the sky suites fill up (unlikely, I know). It seems like at the very least I'll get an accessible S2 which, from what I read, is quite a bit larger than the regular sky suites. Its just the idea of having a suite in the true definition (living room + bedroom) is very appealing. Tough decision.

We make this decision based on the number of sea days on the cruise. For port intensive cruises we find that we don't spend enough time in the cabin to justify the CS and are happy with an S2. However, on our last cruise to Hawaii we had five days at sea and really enjoyed having the additional space, both in the suite and on the veranda, that the CS offered.

We make this decision based on the number of sea days on the cruise. For port intensive cruises we find that we don't spend enough time in the cabin to justify the CS and are happy with an S2. However, on our last cruise to Hawaii we had five days at sea and really enjoyed having the additional space, both in the suite and on the veranda, that the CS offered.

Thats definitely a good point. Being only a 5 night cruise, we have only 2 sea days and $800 is a lot of money. I just wish I hadnt looked at the pictures (http://s1256.photobucket.com/user/MoreMoores/slideshow/Celebrity%20Suite/?albumview=slideshow) Only makes me want it more :(

While it's not guaranteed, you will likely get the elite coupon sheet for the Celebrity Suite and not the sky suite. So you would get some value back for that suite upgrade. That could be 'worth' it.

Interesting. I actually didnt know those existed until I read your reply and did a search. Does the elite coupon sheet have anything to do with the captains club status (because we're still at the classic level) or are you saying they just put them in the higher category suites?

Exactly how we decide as well.

Interesting. I actually didnt know those existed until I read your reply and did a search. Does the elite coupon sheet have anything to do with the captains club status (because we're still at the classic level) or are you saying they just put them in the higher category suites?
We are classic and got the elite sheet last May when we were in a Royal Suite.

It has been going to Celebrity Suites and higher without regard to CC status. I will be in a Celebrity Suite on a trip in January and I hope I get the coupons. I asked about it when I called on something once and the lady put me on hold and said, yes, one set of coupons are given. So, we shall see!

We have done this itinerary and are doing it again on Connie in April. We found that we were almost never in the cabin, except to shower and sleep. Its such a short time, I would agree with the idea to spend the extra on a great excursion, a trip to the spa or a great dinner. We were in a sky suite on Millie last time, and the only thing that stood out was the little window in the bathroom over the tub that had remote blinds. They opened so you could see out the glass door of the balcony to the ocean while relaxing in a bath.

Thats definitely a good point. Being only a 5 night cruise, we have only 2 sea days and $800 is a lot of money. I just wish I hadnt looked at the pictures (http://s1256.photobucket.com/user/MoreMoores/slideshow/Celebrity%20Suite/?albumview=slideshow) Only makes me want it more :(

Here's another thought: is the $800 difference going to break your budget, and if it were a longer cruise would you be able to afford the upgrade to a Celebrity suite and stay within budget? If this was my one chance to try a suite I'd do it for $800. We were in a Celebrity suite on the Millennium in March, and it was true luxury. And trust me when I say we found ways to use the suite as much as possible. We invited friends in for sailaway on the balcony, we ate breakfast every morning at our beautiful dining room table (set with linen and served by our butler), we hung out in the living room area each evening after dinner planning our next day, and enjoyed having a separate sink for each of us in the bathroom!

Whatever you decide, have a great cruise!!

Here's another thought: is the $800 difference going to break your budget' date=' and if it were a longer cruise would you be able to afford the upgrade to a Celebrity suite and stay within budget? If this was my one chance to try a suite I'd do it for $800. We were in a Celebrity suite on the Millennium in March, and it was true luxury. And trust me when I say we found ways to use the suite as much as possible. We invited friends in for sailaway on the balcony, we ate breakfast every morning at our beautiful dining room table (set with linen and served by our butler), we hung out in the living room area each evening after dinner planning our next day, and enjoyed having a separate sink for each of us in the bathroom!

Whatever you decide, have a great cruise!![/quote']

ITA!!! We did the same and the butler even had peach belini's, beer and snaks. We were spoiled rotten!!!

Thanks for all the helpful info everyone. I think I've decided to stick with the S2 GTY. While an extra $800 this cruise wouldnt break the bank, I'm just having a tough time seeing the value in it for this specific cruise. If it were going from a non-suite to a suite, I'd probably do it. We'll still get the suite experience (likely an accessible S2) and who knows, theres always the shot at getting a free upgrade to S1 or CS. I'd love to stay in a CS or higher on a longer cruise and think they best play here is to save up to make that happen for the next cruise. Its a dangerous game looking at the next higher category. :D

Well folks, in a brief moment of insanity today, I decided to upgrade to a Royal Suite. I thought less about the money and more about that fact that it would likely be tough to swing a RS on a longer cruise and figured this may be our only shot at it. I'm so excited and the best part is that I'm keeping it a secret from the wife. She still thinks we're getting an sky suite. Can't wait to see her face when we walk through the door! :D

Well folks, in a brief moment of insanity today, I decided to upgrade to a Royal Suite. I thought less about the money and more about that fact that it would likely be tough to swing a RS on a longer cruise and figured this may be our only shot at it. I'm so excited and the best part is that I'm keeping it a secret from the wife. She still thinks we're getting an sky suite. Can't wait to see her face when we walk through the door! :D

Congratulations!! You are going to LOVE the RS!! Enjoy!:):)

Thats the way to do it! If you are going to spend the money, make it a blow out! The RS on M-class are super!!

Thanks everyone. Now I just need to get on the ship without her figuring out our cabin. I may have create a distraction during the check-in process. Or, at the risk of acting like a bank-robber, slip a note to the person at check-in: "Royal suite is a surprise...wife doesnt know. Shhh!"