Laundry Facilities on Marina

SweetPease

This will be our first cruise with Oceania (looking forward to it) and our first lengthy cruise (16 days). Several of you wonderful folks have advised to bring less and send out or do our laundry if needed. Hence my question, what are the "do it yourself" facilities like? Location, detergent provided? Still have 3 months to go, but I'm a planner! (Part of the fun.)

Also, I noticed in one thread that you are able to bring wine on board to consume in your cabin (outside cabin okay with a corkage fee). Doubtful we would do this given the length of our journey from US to NZ, but curious as to truthfulness.

We are staying in a Concierge Level room. From what I read, looks like we can make specialty restaurant reservatons (1 per restaurant) 60 days out. What's the likelihood of getting another night at one or more of these restaurants once on board?

Final question (for this go round), excursions are PRICEY. Noticed they have a package for $890 that allows you "unlimted" shore excursions. Is this worth it? We often like to explore on our own, but never having been to Fiji, Bora Bora, New Caledonia, etc., not sure how feasible this is.

Thanks!

This will be our first cruise with Oceania (looking forward to it) and our first lengthy cruise (16 days). Several of you wonderful folks have advised to bring less and send out or do our laundry if needed. Hence my question, what are the "do it yourself" facilities like? Location, detergent provided? Still have 3 months to go, but I'm a planner! (Part of the fun.)

Laundry facilities are on almost every deck -- plenty of availability -- if the laundry on your deck is busy, go up or down one deck. Soap provided. Minimal charge to use ($2) for wash or dry.

Also, I noticed in one thread that you are able to bring wine on board to consume in your cabin (outside cabin okay with a corkage fee). Doubtful we would do this given the length of our journey from US to NZ, but curious as to truthfulness.

No limit to wine that may be brought on board. Or other spirits.

We are staying in a Concierge Level room. From what I read, looks like we can make specialty restaurant reservatons (1 per restaurant) 60 days out. What's the likelihood of getting another night at one or more of these restaurants once on board?

Most people say they can always get extra reservations -- if you are flexible with days and times and are willing to share a table it's easier. Some people report eating in the Specialties every night of a cruise! Obviously it will depend on demand on your cruise.

Final question (for this go round), excursions are PRICEY. Noticed they have a package for $890 that allows you "unlimted" shore excursions. Is this worth it? We often like to explore on our own, but never having been to Fiji, Bora Bora, New Caledonia, etc., not sure how feasible this is.

IMO -- forget O's excursions. Get on our roll call and book private excursions with fellow cruisers. Cheaper and better.

Thanks!

Hope I have answered your questions

The laundries on on each deck are excellent.There are 3 washers & 3 driers & 2 irons.The best part is that the machines have a digital timer so you know exactly how long the cycle will take & can go & do something else & be back in time to take the washing out. There is a cost ,$ 2 I think. In the stateroom there is also a line that pulls out over the bath ,great for smalls but bring some clothes pegs. The wines in NZ & AUS are good so you may be tempted to buy some at some of your portsof call. I know that Oceania tours are overpriced . Enjoy your trip, just remember that in NZ you can have 4 seasons in one day as we say ,so make sure you pack a wool jersey.

I've posted on the Roll Call for our trip assume that gets me in the loop, or do I need to do something different

Research...see what interests you in the ports

See if others have private tours to share via your Roll Call

Lyn

Thanks Laraine. Appreciate all your answers. I've posted on the Roll Call for our trip assume that gets me in the loop, or do I need to do something different

Make sure you state on the roll call that you are looking to join private tours. You can provide your email so that those cruisers who organize the tours can contact you if they have a opening.

Don't get discouraged if you can't find a laundry. They are on decks 7 through 11 but access is from port aisle only except on deck 9 which is accessed both port and starboard aisles.

Just in case you find the above statement difficult to interpret without a visual:

190045.jpgThe self service laundries are indicated on the Deck Plans by the hanger symbol and are located towards the front of the ship on every passenger cabin deck of Marina & Riviera with the exception of Deck 12.

150034.jpgThey are spacious and airy rooms complete with ironing facilities. Detergent is provided (and it is required that you use Oceania's "Sea-friendly" brand), but fabric softener and dryer sheets are not.

Just in case you find the above statement difficult to interpret without a visual:

190045.jpgThe self service laundries are indicated on the Deck Plans by the hanger symbol and are located towards the front of the ship on every passenger cabin deck of Marina & Riviera with the exception of Deck 12.

150034.jpgThey are spacious and airy rooms complete with ironing facilities. Detergent is provided (and it is required that you use Oceania's "Sea-friendly" brand), but fabric softener and dryer sheets are not.

"spacious and airy" -- you should write real estate listing descriptions. LOL

That's a bit of a stretch.

"spacious and airy" -- you should write real estate listing descriptions. LOL

That's a bit of a stretch.

I suppose it depends on what you are comparing it to-

SelfServiceLaundry.jpg Dear friends of ours (usually Oceania Mainstays), just returned from a cruise where this was the sole laundry room available to passengers

DSC0225.jpgI must reiterate, "the laundry rooms on the Marina & Riviera are spacious and airy" :p

I suppose it depends on what you are comparing it to-

SelfServiceLaundry.jpg Dear friends of ours (usually Oceania Mainstays), just returned from a cruise where this was the sole laundry room available to passengers

DSC0225.jpgI must reiterate, "the laundry rooms on the Marina & Riviera are spacious and airy" :p

Certainly more attractive than the laundry room your friends experienced but it's still a windowless enclosure that is noisy, generates heat and smells and is not a place I want to spend much time. If it truly were "spacious and airy" I might be inclined to park myself there for a few hours and read or knit. LOL

A bit of hyperbole to be sure.

Don must have used a wide angle lens ..they are not very big at all

you pretty much have to turn sideways to get in there :D

That's us, but I didn't take the photo. Jim, as usual, seems to find images no one knows even exist! That laundry room is much tinier than the photo, and is shared by a laundry chute used by the room attendants. On the other hand, it's free...

...On the other hand, if I'm not busy, or Betsy is at a fabric arts gathering, I'll take my ebook to the laundry room and read until the laundry is finished -- usually about 1-1/4 hours. They may not be "airy" in the sense of open windows, but they are spacious and comfortable, cold water is in a fridge under the folding counter, flat screen TVs are installed, and they have never been hot or smelly when I've been there.

Edited by hondorner

That's us, but I didn't take the photo. Jim, as usual, seems to find images no one knows even exist! That laundry room is much tinier than the photo, and is shared by a laundry chute used by the room attendants. On the other hand, it's free...

They had newer washer/dryers on our cruise I could not see the settings on the top

do not forget that big ice machine in the corner also ;)

This is our first O cruise as well...a long one too! Do the washers and dryers take coins or do we have to buy tokens? If tokens...at passenger services or a machine in the laundry room? Thanks anyone who answers this!

The laundry uses a token system--one for each washer and dryer and they are $2.00 each. They can be acquired in 3 ways: by machine in the laundry rooms; at the reception desk; or by your butler if you have one.

Also you may be able to get them in the Executive Lounge--not sure.

Wiks

This is our first O cruise as well...a long one too! Do the washers and dryers take coins or do we have to buy tokens? If tokens...at passenger services or a machine in the laundry room? Thanks anyone who answers this!

If your on the R ships they are available at the reception desk or from your butler.

Some additional information for the original poster ... SweetPease. You can also have the ships laundry handle this chore. We have found it efficient and in the price range we experience locally.

There is a bag and form in your cabin for this and the charges will appear on your end of cruise statement. Really quite easy.

In many areas of the world they have been receiving tourists by ship for 50 years. THe local tourist bureau has fostered huge depth and availability.

There is always a ton of independent operators and booths waiting to offer you options.

Welcome to the South Pacific where some ships exceed the local population several times. There will not be variety or availability as one might expect.

Heck even here in Kona, Hawaii, when a ship is in it sucks up all our resources.. no other options many times.

The point is one must decide months in advance and lock in what one wants to do... or else pay the ship...or sit on the beach.

In many areas of the world they have been receiving tourists by ship for 50 years. THe local tourist bureau has fostered huge depth and availability.

There is always a ton of independent operators and booths waiting to offer you options.

Welcome to the South Pacific where some ships exceed the local population several times. There will not be variety or availability as one might expect.

Heck even here in Kona, Hawaii, when a ship is in it sucks up all our resources.. no other options many times.

The point is one must decide months in advance and lock in what one wants to do... or else pay the ship...or sit on the beach.

What does any of this have to do with laundry on the ship :confused:

Are you saying people should lock in plans to do laundry on shore :eek:

What does any of this have to do with laundry on the ship :confused:

Are you saying people should lock in plans to do laundry on shore :eek:

Was 1 laundry and 2 shore ex.

The laundry was answered the shore ex was not. As what should we do?

My answer if you discerned , was on the shore ex.