First time disabled travel

RestonGal

Although my family and I have been on multiple cruises, this is the first year that my Dad will be in a scooter. We will be on RCL Grandeur for the Christmas cruise. Honestly, we are all still grieving my Dad's loss of mobility and although he has been using his scooter for a few months (he has a Tzora Easy Travel Elite), I am worried about any problems we might face. Any suggestions for us as we navigate this new experience?

I too would be interested in tips.

My DH brought a pride go go mobility scooter in July but hasn't really used it much.

Next year I am going to be taking my DH on the Dream with a mobility scooter.It is the first holiday I've been on with just my husband, usually the kids come too and they help but Uni commitments mean we are on our own. It is such a shock when someone you love suddenly becomes ill. I get what you mean about the grieving, on the Friday my son was helping his dad fix the barn roof, by Saturday morning my husband had a stroke out of nowhere :( Our whole family life changed in a split second.

Skoozie--I am sorry to hear about what you are going through. We are in the same spot as you. We are adjusting to our "new reality" and struggling a bit, but at the same time we are thankful that a mobility device will allow my Dad to participate on this trip which he couldn't have done otherwise. Since our cruise is occurring earlier than yours, I will be sure to post back after the cruise and let you know of about any lessons learned!

Although my family and I have been on multiple cruises, this is the first year that my Dad will be in a scooter. We will be on RCL Grandeur for the Christmas cruise. Honestly, we are all still grieving my Dad's loss of mobility and although he has been using his scooter for a few months (he has a Tzora Easy Travel Elite), I am worried about any problems we might face. Any suggestions for us as we navigate this new experience?

Did you book an Accessible Cabin ? If not than it's important to note that the scooter must be kept in the cabin. Following is copied directly from RCCL's website :

"Assistive devices including mobility scooters must be stored and recharged in your stateroom so fire doors, corridors and elevator lobbies are kept clear for emergency evacuation. When parked throughout the ship, they must be parked out of the way to allow safe and easy access by other guests and crew members."

Additionally if he has a standard cabin depending on the width of the scooter it might not fit through the doorway. In which case the Tzora will have to folded and you're father will have to walk into the cabin. RCCL's standard doorways are 23" from door frame to door frame. 2" than must be deducted for the depth of the door when open as it does not open flush to the wall. Therefore making the total useable doorway clearance only 21" wide.

Does the itinerary have any tendered ports ? If so, scooters are not allowed on the tenders. However since the Tzora folds there might be an exception made provided your father can walk down/up several steps to board/exit the tender.

Refer to this link : http://www.royalcaribbean.com/contentWithHero.do?pagename=getting_on_and_off_the_ship

Sometime after embarkation, go to the MDR to check your table location to make certain that there is a sufficient path for the scooter to get through. If there is than in the evening your father can ride the scooter directly to the table, transfer into a chair and the wait staff will than park the scooter in an out of the way place. It will be returned when dinner has ended. If the table needs to be change than speak to the Matre'D at that time as don't wait until your first arrive in the MDR that evening to make any changes as it's too disruptive to the other guests.

The Tzora has a low clearance and might get hung up on some of the door thresholds out to the decks. You're father will learn fast which path best suits his scooter.

For the Muster Drill suggest your father goes early so that he does not have to maneuver through the crowds. Also suggest waiting a while after the muster drill so again not to have to maneuver through the crowds.

During the day the busiest elevators are those closest to pool / windjammer so it's often easier to go to the farthest bank of elevators to avoid the crowds. In the evening it's the bank of elevators directly in line to the MDR. So suggest going early or a few minutes later to again avoid the crowds.

Edited by xxoocruiser

xxoocruiser has a lot of good tips.

I push my Dad in a wheelchair and it is a challenge getting through the hallways when the rooms are being cleaned (carts left out). If you encounter the same with the scooter, just use non-cabin floors to get to other side of ship.

Go up elevators to go down is sometimes necessary.

Have a great trip!

June will be my first cruise with mobility issues. I have a pride go-go elite traveler. I have a handicap accessable room with HAL.

It's definitely very hard emotionally on me as I try to figure this all out in terms of what activites/tours I'll be able to do. I used to do very active, walking activities on our cruises. Hiking in rain forests and up mountain paths is definitely out now. Not sure how accessable things like old forts are. *sigh*

I plan on taking my scooter to the airport, haven't figured out yet if it's best to have them box it up with the luggage and then be transported to the gate via cart or wheelchair or if I should ride the scooter all the way through security to the planes gate. My understanding is that they have to take it for ADA reasons and can't charge extra, but this will be my first time flying with it as well.

June will be my first cruise with mobility issues. I have a pride go-go elite traveler. I have a handicap accessable room with HAL.

It's definitely very hard emotionally on me as I try to figure this all out in terms of what activites/tours I'll be able to do. I used to do very active, walking activities on our cruises. Hiking in rain forests and up mountain paths is definitely out now. Not sure how accessable things like old forts are. *sigh*

I plan on taking my scooter to the airport, haven't figured out yet if it's best to have them box it up with the luggage and then be transported to the gate via cart or wheelchair or if I should ride the scooter all the way through security to the planes gate. My understanding is that they have to take it for ADA reasons and can't charge extra, but this will be my first time flying with it as well.

Much safer and less chance of damage if you ride the scooter to the plane door. It gets loaded with the strollers, walkers and It will than be returned delivered directly to the jet way upon landing and you can than just ride it through the airport.

Even though the airlines cannot charge you a baggage fee for the scooter ADA law does not apply if you have the airlines box it up as they can charge for that service. Additionally if you check it in it also stands a chance of being lost in the system just like any other piece of luggage.

Edited by xxoocruiser

Much safer and less chance of damage if you ride the scooter to the plane door. It gets loaded with the strollers, walkers and It will than be returned delivered directly to the jet way upon landing and you can than just ride it through the airport.

Even though the airlines cannot charge you a baggage fee for the scooter ADA law does not apply if you have the airlines box it up as they can charge for that service. Additionally if you check it in it also stands a chance of being lost in the system just like any other piece of luggage.

Thanks for the information. :)

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

Cruising with a mobility device is jsut like any other walk of life - it needs a bit more prior planning and preparation than normal, but there shouldn't be any great obstacles.

Here's my top ten snippets of advice. Apologies for any repetition, it's a cut and paste job:

• Make sure you contact the cruise line disability hotline and get everything set up that you might need. In my experience, RCCL aren't great when dealing with them by e-mail so try to deal with a human being. Even better, use a good travel agent.
  • Pre-book a shower stool in the cabin if you do not have an HC booked. Your Dad may not need to use it, but they are in short supply and sometime not available once on board.
  • Go very, very early for muster drill, at least 30 minutes. The lifts get full quickly and being on a scooter or in a chair can drive you nuts. Wait 15 minutes or so at the end of muster drill - the lifts get full, etc.
  • Just in case you need to evacuate, talk nicely to the room steward when he first comes to introduce himself and line him up to help.
  • Always navigate around ship by going to the nearest lift and riding to an open deck/public space. Go up or down at the other end if necessary. Linen carts, self service carts and scooters (!!!) parked in corridors are a pain.
  • Ask well in advance for a restaurant table close to the door, to save having to navigate to the far end of the room on a scooter.
  • Ask the tour desk about accessible tours. They may have one or two on a wheelchair accessible bus (you might be able to borrow a ship's chair). Otherwise, most normal tours are possible if your Dad can climb up the couple of steps to a reserved seat at the front of the bus and his chariot can go underneath in the luggage comartment. Get to the quayside early for tours.
  • Eat quick and arrive early for the shows. There are disabled seats, usually at the back but they fill up quickly.
  • Get to the airline gate early and make sure they know you are there and will need to board first. Ask for the scooter back at the airbridge otherwise at the other end otherwise they might try to provide a wheelchair with pusher and the scooter to collect at baggage reclaim. Make sure you have registered with them well in advance of the flight and confirm they have details the day before.

Sorry, there's only 9.

Most of all - enjoy it! Cruising is a great way to feel a little less hampered and it makes a holiday feel very relaxing if you can get the right balance.

Edited by Chunky2219
typo

Something else to remember

When you go through security at the airport with a scooter or wheelchair, you go through a separate entrance which bypasses the lines. Make sure you look for it or ask. They will then ask you if you want to walk through the machine while they inspect the scooter (I never do this as I cannot stand for long and they never have a chair) or you can stay on the scooter and be patted down. The only downside to this is sometimes waiting for a female TSA agent.

Also, if you do plan on scootering to the door of the plane, I ALWAYS do, ask the gate agent for a " gate check tag". They will attach it to your device and it will have the all important return to jetway instruction on it.

Have a great time!

Marlee

Something else to remember

When you go through security at the airport with a scooter or wheelchair, you go through a separate entrance which bypasses the lines. Make sure you look for it or ask. They will then ask you if you want to walk through the machine while they inspect the scooter (I never do this as I cannot stand for long and they never have a chair) or you can stay on the scooter and be patted down. The only downside to this is sometimes waiting for a female TSA agent.

Also, if you do plan on scootering to the door of the plane, I ALWAYS do, ask the gate agent for a " gate check tag". They will attach it to your device and it will have the all important return to jetway instruction on it.

Have a great time!

Marlee

Thanks for your tips. I will be going on my first cruise using a scooter in February. We are driving to Florida, however, in June we will be flying to see my son and I will have to take my scooter with me.

Do you know what happens when it is not a direct flight? Will they bring my scooter to me at the first stop and then take it back until we arrive at our final destination?

Thanks for your tips. I will be going on my first cruise using a scooter in February. We are driving to Florida, however, in June we will be flying to see my son and I will have to take my scooter with me.

Do you know what happens when it is not a direct flight? Will they bring my scooter to me at the first stop and then take it back until we arrive at our final destination?

They will bring the scooter up to the jetway, but, if you have a tight connection, it might not be possible. I find that with my scooter, if the connection is less than 45 minutes, I'll check the scooter to the final destination and have a wheelchair take me to the next gate.

They will bring the scooter up to the jetway, but, if you have a tight connection, it might not be possible. I find that with my scooter, if the connection is less than 45 minutes, I'll check the scooter to the final destination and have a wheelchair take me to the next gate.

I may have to do that since I have only 45 minutes at my Newark, NJ connection on the way to Quebec.

I may have to do that since I have only 45 minutes at my Newark, NJ connection on the way to Quebec.

Whoa, that's a very short connection, especially for EWR. Make certain the flight attendant knows you have a very tight connection. Also make sure when your scooter is tagged, they put a yellow "Priority Handling" tag on the handle of your tiller in addition to the regular baggage tag.

Haven't read all the replies...My husband has used a power chair for several years on the cruises...We drive to the ports as we have a lift in our van for the chair & for us is so much easier...A handicap accessible room is a necessity...The elevators can be trying at times but we just wait our turn...In the buffet we usually get a place to sit down, then I go for the food. Help is always there if needed...When you get on board first stop should be the main dining room to see where they have you seated...It may need to be changed which they will do...My husband used to have his chair parked & sit down at the table but the last couple of years he has sat in his chair at the table...If getting off the ship & the gangway is steep there is always help for him...Same for getting back up gangway from a destination...He cannot do a tender port but usually doesn't mind...Likes to stay on the ship & see the sights...The chair gives him so much more freedom to get around...At the theater he usually sits in his chair in the back & I get a seat near him...Don't forget your charger for the scooter unless it has an on board one & I always take an extension cord with us...All the staff has gone over & above to help if we needed it...Happy cruising...

• 4 weeks later...
...Don't forget your charger for the scooter unless it has an on board one & I always take an extension cord with us...

We will renting a scooter for the first time for our Crown Princess Alaska land tour & cruise in August. We have a standard balcony cabin reserved. My DH will be using the scooter to save on the walking as he is slow walking and doing stairs. We don't want to take up a handicap cabin from someone that really needs it.

He won't be using the scooter for any of the excursions.

We plan on putting the scooter where the clothes are hung and move the scooter to the desk near the balcony doors to charge if we can get around the bed, if not, an extension cord from your answer.

What kind of extension cord, a heavy duty one like for outside or an inside the house one? The scooter company mentioned that the battery goes for 8-10 miles before charging and has a battery indicator on it, and that you have a cord from the battery to plug into the wall (you can see I am new to this).

We will renting a scooter for the first time for our Crown Princess Alaska land tour & cruise in August. We have a standard balcony cabin reserved. My DH will be using the scooter to save on the walking as he is slow walking and doing stairs. We don't want to take up a handicap cabin from someone that really needs it.

He won't be using the scooter for any of the excursions.

We plan on putting the scooter where the clothes are hung and move the scooter to the desk near the balcony doors to charge if we can get around the bed, if not, an extension cord from your answer.

What kind of extension cord, a heavy duty one like for outside or an inside the house one? The scooter company mentioned that the battery goes for 8-10 miles before charging and has a battery indicator on it, and that you have a cord from the battery to plug into the wall (you can see I am new to this).

A standard extension cord is all that's needed. However many cruise lines do not allow passengers to bring their own extension cords. If one is needed that you can request one from the cabin attendant. Additionally I replied to your other post on a different thread with more details . Here's the link

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1948493

Edited by xxoocruiser

• 2 weeks later...

I will be cruising with my mom, dad, and an aide on the July 27 sailing of the Celebrity Summit to Bermuda. This will be my parents' first cruise since my dad's stroke 4 years ago. Just before his stroke they had returned from a cruise around South America and this is the first trip we have ventured since he became disabled. He uses a power chair, cannot walk and needs assistance for all activities of daily life. We are sailing out of NJ, will drive the accessible van to the port. We have booked an aft accessible Concierge Class cabin with an inside cabin across the hall for our aide. I am looking for tips, advice, inside information etc. which might make this a special vacation for all. Many thanks for all your expertise.

You booked the aft Cc. Good job. He will be able to wheel around on it, doing wheelies as there is so much room. Call ahead to make sure the ramp for balcony is in place. Room service on the balcony table is nice. Great breakfast menu with cc class. Check ypur dining table upon arrival, making sure it is right.

Scope out theatre to check access..usually back.

With aft cabin, long way to elevator. Carts sometimes in way. They will mobe them if around. On elevators....go up to go down, down for up....whatever is free to get on.

Bermuda is very accessible. Ferry to St. Georges and Hamilton are both accessible to him. Catamaran type whereby weight makes it go up or down. Accessible line and when ready they adjust height by portable metal lifts to go on/off. Easy. He rides inside of ferry, staying in chair. Buses are NOT accessible. Ferry tickets needed. Bought at pier. Ferries are crowded. Google ferry schedule and plan.

Hamilton....mainly shopping. St. George, noon Wench show, historical, shops.

At Dockyard there are many things for him to do. It is flat and stores have rustic ramps but they work. Go to the Governor's House....a/k/a Museum. It is up a hill but chair can make it. WW Ii memorabilia on first floor, Bermuda old time on 2nd floor....small elevator....ask at ticket booth which is by Dolphins.

Frog & Onion has outside tables, good burgers, drinks. Snorkel Park is worth a peak..free for him go have a look. One night they have a show, on Celebrity list. Drinks, limbo, outside by ocean. Just ask them to put table on cement.doable anead of time.

Glass blowing, rum cakes, arts and crafts, etc all at Dockyard. Please see Bermuda port section. Also a glass bottom boat called Destiny takes wheelchairs on easily. Personally not too thrilled but something for all to fo. Booth in Dockyard.

Two h/c vehicles exist for tours with reservations only. Celebrity generally has one called Easy Access with a minibus with lift. The other is a van, total 3 people. If needed give a yell and will supply info.

The aquarium/zoo, although small and the Underwater Museum are accessible. Quite a distance from Dockyard.

Buses are not accessible. Go to Bermuda Chamber of Commerce, lots of info. You must do research on ypur own. Shore Excursions not aware of a lot. You can try emailing Special Access ahead of time, but can be frustrating.

Advice for ferry. Go early. Breakaway on same timeframe....4,000 people.

Getting off ship in chair there is help if fearful. Ask and someone will either go in front or back to assist, but generally no problem. Enjoy. Vicki

You booked the aft Cc. Good job. He will be able to wheel around on it, doing wheelies as there is so much room. Call ahead to make sure the ramp for balcony is in place. Room service on the balcony table is nice. Great breakfast menu with cc class. Check ypur dining table upon arrival, making sure it is right.

Scope out theatre to check access..usually back.

With aft cabin, long way to elevator. Carts sometimes in way. They will mobe them if around. On elevators....go up to go down, down for up....whatever is free to get on.

Bermuda is very accessible. Ferry to St. Georges and Hamilton are both accessible to him. Catamaran type whereby weight makes it go up or down. Accessible line and when ready they adjust height by portable metal lifts to go on/off. Easy. He rides inside of ferry, staying in chair. Buses are NOT accessible. Ferry tickets needed. Bought at pier. Ferries are crowded. Google ferry schedule and plan.

Hamilton....mainly shopping. St. George, noon Wench show, historical, shops.

At Dockyard there are many things for him to do. It is flat and stores have rustic ramps but they work. Go to the Governor's House....a/k/a Museum. It is up a hill but chair can make it. WW Ii memorabilia on first floor, Bermuda old time on 2nd floor....small elevator....ask at ticket booth which is by Dolphins.

Frog & Onion has outside tables, good burgers, drinks. Snorkel Park is worth a peak..free for him go have a look. One night they have a show, on Celebrity list. Drinks, limbo, outside by ocean. Just ask them to put table on cement.doable anead of time.

Glass blowing, rum cakes, arts and crafts, etc all at Dockyard. Please see Bermuda port section. Also a glass bottom boat called Destiny takes wheelchairs on easily. Personally not too thrilled but something for all to fo. Booth in Dockyard.

Two h/c vehicles exist for tours with reservations only. Celebrity generally has one called Easy Access with a minibus with lift. The other is a van, total 3 people. If needed give a yell and will supply info.

The aquarium/zoo, although small and the Underwater Museum are accessible. Quite a distance from Dockyard.

Buses are not accessible. Go to Bermuda Chamber of Commerce, lots of info. You must do research on ypur own. Shore Excursions not aware of a lot. You can try emailing Special Access ahead of time, but can be frustrating.

Advice for ferry. Go early. Breakaway on same timeframe....4,000 people.

Getting off ship in chair there is help if fearful. Ask and someone will either go in front or back to assist, but generally no problem. Enjoy. Vicki

Are you sure the ferry to St. Georges is accessable? I had read that the ferry is only W/C friendly to Hamilton?

Are you sure the ferry to St. Georges is accessable? I had read that the ferry is only W/C friendly to Hamilton?

You are correct. The 2013 schedule says only Dockyard, hamilton and Rockaway are accessible. However in 2012 it definitely was fully accessible....10:30 am ferry over, 2:30 pm back. I would check beforehand. Google Bermuda Ferry or Bermuda Chamber of Commerce. Vicki