First time disabled travel

RestonGal

June will be my first cruise with mobility issues. I have a pride go-go elite traveler. I have a handicap accessable room with HAL.

It's definitely very hard emotionally on me as I try to figure this all out in terms of what activites/tours I'll be able to do. I used to do very active, walking activities on our cruises. Hiking in rain forests and up mountain paths is definitely out now. Not sure how accessable things like old forts are. *sigh*

I plan on taking my scooter to the airport, haven't figured out yet if it's best to have them box it up with the luggage and then be transported to the gate via cart or wheelchair or if I should ride the scooter all the way through security to the planes gate. My understanding is that they have to take it for ADA reasons and can't charge extra, but this will be my first time flying with it as well.

Sherilyn

This July will be our first time with a scooter and I am equally worried. Everyday I pour over the forums looking for info. BTW,I've noticed your signature on the forum so many times. It looks so cool. How did you do that?

Yoletta

We will renting a scooter for the first time for our Crown Princess Alaska land tour & cruise in August. We have a standard balcony cabin reserved. My DH will be using the scooter to save on the walking as he is slow walking and doing stairs. We don't want to take up a handicap cabin from someone that really needs it.

He won't be using the scooter for any of the excursions.

I am very much like your husband, can't walk even short distances, can't stand for any extended time, and stairs... well I can go down s l o w l y... but forget about going up for me!

We took our first cruise, since my spinal problems, in October to the Panama Canal... all I did pre-cruise was worry. I didn't use a power scooter, but rather a light weight folding walker (rollator with seat). We also booked a balcony cabin not a HC cabin and had plenty of room to move around. I was able to get around the ship with little problem... as mentioned the biggest problem were the steward carts, which were ALWAYS blocking the cabin hallways from morning to mid-afternoon.

Saw lots of power scooters and walkers on-board, so DH shouldn't feel at all uncomfortable. However, one thing I could not have done, without my walker (at least within the Panama Canal cruise ports) was go on excursions. I just want to caution you from my experiences... I always took my walker. I had no problems with it on transportation vehicles (buses, mini-buses, cars, or tenders). I found no matter what type of excursion my wife and I took, there was always a lot of walking (if nothing else from the gangway exiting the ship to the end of the pier to start our excursion) and even more standing and walking at where ever or what ever we were visiting. I never would have been able to to handle the excursions without the ability to sit down when tired from walking and/or standing while waiting.

We are taking an Alaska Cruisetour this July and I will be taking my walker... for both getting around the ship and for the excursions we have planned.

Again, I only say this to to give you my prospective, I don't know what your planning on doing away from the ship, so perhaps you'll be fine, but I would give serious consideration to having some type of assistance for DH when off the ship!

Hope you have a great time and tell DH not to worry there will be a lot of passengers who need assistance from scooters and walkers on your cruise... he won't be the only one.

I am very much like your husband, can't walk even short distances, can't stand for any extended time, and stairs... well I can go down s l o w l y... but forget about going up for me!

We took our first cruise, since my spinal problems, in October to the Panama Canal... all I did pre-cruise was worry. I didn't use a power scooter, but rather a light weight folding walker (rollator with seat). We also booked a balcony cabin not a HC cabin and had plenty of room to move around. I was able to get around the ship with little problem... as mentioned the biggest problem were the steward carts, which were ALWAYS blocking the cabin hallways from morning to mid-afternoon.

Saw lots of power scooters and walkers on-board, so DH shouldn't feel at all uncomfortable. However, one thing I could not have done, without my walker (at least within the Panama Canal cruise ports) was go on excursions. I just want to caution you from my experiences... I always took my walker. I had no problems with it on transportation vehicles (buses, mini-buses, cars, or tenders). I found no matter what type of excursion my wife and I took, there was always a lot of walking (if nothing else from the gangway exiting the ship to the end of the pier to start our excursion) and even more standing and walking at where ever or what ever we were visiting. I never would have been able to to handle the excursions without the ability to sit down when tired from walking and/or standing while waiting.

We are taking an Alaska Cruisetour this July and I will be taking my walker... for both getting around the ship and for the excursions we have planned.

Again, I only say this to to give you my prospective, I don't know what your planning on doing away from the ship, so perhaps you'll be fine, but I would give serious consideration to having some type of assistance for DH when off the ship!

Hope you have a great time and tell DH not to worry there will be a lot of passengers who need assistance from scooters and walkers on your cruise... he won't be the only one.

Thank you for the advise. Enjoy your cruise in July, this will be our 3rd time going back in August.

Since my Dad essentially cannot walk at all, I booked private tours for the 5 of us for each port on our Eastern Caribbean cruise--San Juan, St. Thomas, and St. Maarten. This worked out beautifully. The drivers were wonderful and showed us so many things we probably couldn't have seen with others. We didn't have to worry about whether or not they would take my Dad's scooter since I had provided all of the dimensions upfront so they all had vehicles that he could put his scooter (he has a Tzora). The kids and I got off at the stops that we were interested and walked around while my folks could stay in the van and still enjoy the view. Since most of the tours are about 2 hours, it still leaves enough time for other family members to schedule more "active" excursions if they so choose. What I didn't want is for my Dad to sit out every port and wait for us to return from our outing. I used both ShoreTrips and Shore Excursions and everything went fine.

• 3 weeks later...

I would also gate check the scooter. I checked mine one time, when I got to Detroit, my scooter was at the gate, and my battery was at check luggage. It was midnight. I have always gate checked since then even with connecting flights.

I would also suggest, if he is a new rider, he goes to a mall or some place that as a lot of people milling about. Just to get use to driving and avoiding the ones who think they are the only ones on the ship.

We have never had a problem in the dinning room. They take you the table, remove the scooter and return it when you are ready to leave.

Have a great trip.

Hi! I am hoping I am in the place. My cruise is from Emerald Princess going to Carribean on April 8th. I had a stroke past in September and doing some great but I walking is a problem so I have a scooter. This is very new for me but I have sailed for many years that I could use my legs. Is any on this cruise?? And if I am in the right for the questions?? Thanks!

Marcy

Hi! I am hoping I am in the place. My cruise is from Emerald Princess going to Carribean on April 8th. I had a stroke past in September and doing some great but I walking is a problem so I have a scooter. This is very new for me but I have sailed for many years that I could use my legs. Is any on this cruise?? And if I am in the right for the questions?? Thanks!

Marcy

Marcy,

If you want to find people who will be on your cruise, look under Roll Calls for your sailing. If you have a question about traveling with a scooter, then this is the place to ask or continue to look down the list of topics until you find what you are looking for.:)

Yoletta

You are all so lucky. My DH suffered a stroke, could not walk and enjoyed two cruises before he succommed to his symptoms. We loved every minute we cruised together and found the ships crews to be very, very helpful and accommodating. I highly recommend cruising for the best kind of vacation for someone in a wheelchair. I wish we had had the time together to enjoy more cruises.

Have fun everyone!!!!! Enjoy your time with your family.