First Time NCL - Dilema - Need Advice

gooselover

DH and I have been wanting to try NCL for a while now. We currently have the Getaway booked in May and got an aft cabin! However, airfare for us is a tad costly from OK.

Now, here is where the dilemma comes in. On the Jewel, we could get a Suite and drive down to Galveston (about 8 hours) and get an onboard credit of $300! In the long run, this would be cheaper than the aft and airfare for the Getaway. Also, which deck would be better for the aft suite? 8, 9, 10?????

So, for you experienced NCL cruisers - should our first time cruising with NCL be on the Jewel with a suite - or Getaway aft. Should we be spoiled first time out????

Thanks for any replies!

Edited by gooselover

Pretty simple. What's important to you?

Either room will be very nice. For my money the whole suite thing is over hyped, but that's just me and I understand why people really like them.

Getaway will give you more entertainment and dining options. The Jewel will give you the smaller, more intimate ship experience.

So again, what's important to you? Money issues, entertainment, dining?

Bottom line is I think you are in a win/win situation. Enjoy whatever you decide.

We are pretty simple in dining options and easy to please. I know the Jewel has all the dining options we would want. We just got off Carnival Magic with the same itinerary - nothing to shout home about. We do love St. Thomas and St. Martin, so that's a plus for Getaway.

It's the airfare that makes me want to scream. We could probably get it under $900 if I try real hard, but then again, we would need to come in a day early and have the hotel expense.

Itinerary is no big deal really. I think what is important to us is the $$ and the onboard activities - shows, etc. Plus the $300 OBC is a nice perk for Jewel!

Cruising for the first time on NCL in a suite will spoil you forever - happened to us. :D

I just love the Jewel class ships over new mega ships, Jewel would be my choice hands down - especially if that eliminates flying, no matter how long.

Edited by Demonyte

I have a courtesy hold on Jewel right now for a suite on Deck 10. From what I am hearing - this may be the way to go!

It is ... You get , No lines . Breakfast in peace and quiet at Cagneys . No lines .

Priority everything .. No lines ( did I already say that ) :D

If you have not sailed a suite give it a try ...

Edited by mpk218

The Jewel is a lovely ship and the suite life is lovely, so to me it comes down to how much extra you're willing to pay (or not) in airfare/hotel in order to experience being on a new ship with its new and different dining, entertainment, and activities.

When are you flying? R/T OKC to MIA in January is $350 not $900.

We are booked on Getaway for May 3rd. Airfare for SW right now is about $700 which isn't bad. The Getaway does sound appealing due to the size and all the amenities - and we got on OBC of $50. So, total price WITH airfare for Getaway is about $3300.

Now, on Jewel, I can get the aft suite for about $3100 with an OBC of $300. We CAN drive down to Galveston - again about 8 hours. So, all in all, it's a wash in some respects. A tad cheaper to go down to Galveston, but if we fly down there - SW will be about $500 for both of us total.

We are booked on Getaway for May 3rd. Airfare for SW right now is about $700 which isn't bad. The Getaway does sound appealing due to the size and all the amenities - and we got on OBC of $50. So, total price WITH airfare for Getaway is about $3300.

Now, on Jewel, I can get the aft suite for about $3100 with an OBC of $300. We CAN drive down to Galveston - again about 8 hours. So, all in all, it's a wash in some respects. A tad cheaper to go down to Galveston, but if we fly down there - SW will be about $500 for both of us total.

The Jewel leaves from Houston not Galveston. A little shorter trip.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - Jim

You are right - just checked it out on MapQuest and it is 530 miles to Houston. Just talked to DH on this and he really doesn't want to go back to Belize, Roatan, etc. for now.

So, I guess we are staying on Getaway. But you know what????? Our NEXT cruise will be on Jewel in a suite!

DH and I have been wanting to try NCL for a while now. We currently have the Getaway booked in May and got an aft cabin! However, airfare for us is a tad costly from OK.

Now, here is where the dilemma comes in. On the Jewel, we could get a Suite and drive down to Galveston (about 8 hours) and get an onboard credit of $300! In the long run, this would be cheaper than the aft and airfare for the Getaway. Also, which deck would be better for the aft suite? 8, 9, 10?????

So, for you experienced NCL cruisers - should our first time cruising with NCL be on the Jewel with a suite - or Getaway aft. Should we be spoiled first time out????

Thanks for any replies!

I would go with the suite and yes, you will get spoiled but you will get over it!!! LOL

For a lot of reasons I would advise the Jewel: you will get more for your money, you can drive to the port and the Getaway will still be very new, which might mean some tweeking is still needed.

, Here is what our daughter had to say about the Breakaway, no it isn't the same ship, but I am guessing they are similar: overall she liked the ship, the entertainment was great, the food, regardless of where she ate was excellent and the cabin (mini suite) was beautiful and large. The down side: the service was hit or miss and she said the balconies were so small you almost couldn't even sit on a chair without falling over; well, of course I am exaggerating, but she did say they were really tiny. I have been on the Jewel, in fact we have been on several Jewel class ships, I really don't think you would be disappointed. The draw back to that is, you have been to the ports already.

Hummmm....I think I would like to try the Jewel, but the dates I don't think will work for us since it doesn't come to Houston until 10/14.

Darn, this is harder than I thought!

You could always check out the Jewel out of New Orleans. Houston from OKC is 8 hours driving, New Orleans is only 12. We'll be on the Jewel out of both ports - NOLA for Christmas, Houston for Thanksgiving. NOLA is a great port to sail out of because of starting on the Mississippi River - which is a very cool experience in itself.

I'm going to swim against the riptide here and say go for the Getaway. We've been to Belize and it's so boring compared to the Eastern Caribbean.

You seem like a young couple and I think you would have more fun exploring the Getaway. Also, do your research as there are some hidden 'gem' balconies to be had. Check out Decks 8 and 9 forward as well as the aft balconies. ;)

Either way, I would fly. Driving 8 or 12 hours is no way to start a vacation, IMO.

Have a great cruise! :D

Alison

I so do appreciate everyone's replies. But for now, we are sticking with Getaway due to the timing of the year. However, believe me, our next cruise, as long as we like NCL, which I am sure we will, will be on Jewel out of Houston and try those suite perks!

I agree that Belize is boring. On our last cruise in Belize, we went to the Altun Hum (sp?) ruins. DH had REALLY been wanting to see the ruins. We were a tad disappointed. Belize was so poor! We did do the River Wallace, and that was great fun there in Belize.

And thanks for thinking that we are a "young" couple. We would like to think so, too! However, we are close to 60!

Edited by gooselover