Plastic pirate swords allowed through security?

KimtheCruiser

My next cruise is a group cruise, where I teach continuing education classes on the sea days - getting the class/party favors together - you would not believe how much these adults love getting rubber duckies, etc.

This year it's a pirate theme, since we're going to St. Thomas - in past years (this is our 6th cruise like this), we've done Mexican, Jamaican, Mardi Gras - I'm ordering pirate rubber duckies, eye patches, but I wondered about plastic pirate swords.

These are adults - mostly women - so I don't foresee sword fights in the hallway, but.... just hate to order them if they won't make it onboard.

My next cruise is a group cruise, where I teach continuing education classes on the sea days - getting the class/party favors together - you would not believe how much these adults love getting rubber duckies, etc.

This year it's a pirate theme, since we're going to St. Thomas - in past years (this is our 6th cruise like this), we've done Mexican, Jamaican, Mardi Gras - I'm ordering pirate rubber duckies, eye patches, but I wondered about plastic pirate swords.

These are adults - mostly women - so I don't foresee sword fights in the hallway, but.... just hate to order them if they won't make it onboard.

Pirates! :eek:

On a Halloween cruise in 2011 and on a cruise in 2009, I took a plastic Sword -- 24 inches long -- in my packed luggage -- and had no problems. Of course, I didn't declare anything or say anything... But no problems and no problems carrying them on the cruise -- in a non threatening way...

My son had his plastic sword and plastic bow/arrow confiscated while boarding at a port stop. The said we could get it back at the end of the cruise. The security supervisor said these were prohibited items and not allowed.

It's unpredictable. I was just on a Halloween cruise. Carnival has a

rule--no masks. Staff were all talking about it--no masks. Lots of people had masks so it wasn't enforced.

I didn't see any swords. Come to think of it, didn't even see the Pirate with the blade for the stupid MDR pic!

Depends on how strict security decides to be.

It's unpredictable. I was just on a Halloween cruise. Carnival has a

rule--no masks. Staff were all talking about it--no masks. Lots of people had masks so it wasn't enforced.

I didn't see any swords. Come to think of it, didn't even see the Pirate with the blade for the stupid MDR pic!

Depends on how strict security decides to be.

The No Mask thing is pretty interesting since we had Mardi Gras night on my last 2 cruises - one was sailing from NOLA during Mardi Gras but the other was in September - we had mask making classes and a parade of people wearing masks on both.

My 5 year old nephew had his small wooden sword confiscated when we got back on the ship in Nassau last week. He cried and cried. :( We got it back on the last night.

Seems inconsistent that they would take a sword from a 5 year old, but allow swords to enter the ship in luggage and not take them away from grown passengers. I would think that if they saw you with a sword, they should confiscate it and give it back to you on the last night...but I seriously doubt that this would happen.

We were on a Halloween cruise last year and while boarding I saw security tell people that plastic swords, plastic handcuffs, and a number of similar costume items were not allowed.

Perhaps this might be more fun and a heck of a lot easier to pack.

How to make a pirate sword out of a balloon.

:D

Could get interesting after a few drinks of the day.

Back during Halloween people were asking about Pirate Outfits including plastic swords and were told they would be confiscated if found.

I didn't see anyone that had one other than the photographer in the MDR.

from the :PROHIBITED ITEMS" on Carnival website:

Imitation or replica weapons (Including., de-commissioned weapons or those not capable of being fired, toy weapons, or any other item made, intended or adapted to be used as a weapon)

emphasis mine

Edited by oldmedic

from the :PROHIBITED ITEMS" on Carnival website:

Imitation or replica weapons (Including., de-commissioned weapons or those not capable of being fired, toy weapons, or any other item made, intended or adapted to be used as a weapon)

emphasis mine

Thank you very much! That is what I needed to know but did not take the time to check - I am a rule-follower, so no swords this trip!

I too, was told that there would be NO plastic/wooden weapons, of ANY kind allowed aboard the ship for Halloween. We were also told that no masks were allowed, but we too saw several people wearing masks for the Halloween Costume Contest. :confused:

"SKY"

Masks that cover your face completely are different than Mardi Gras masks, Zorro or others that you can still see and recognize the person.

If there were an incident, Carnival pulls security films, and it helps when they can distinguish people.

As for the sword, I really like the idea of the balloon swords. How many of your guests are going to want to take home a sword? Get bandannas, eye patches, and silly stuffed or inflatable parrots, and clip-on dreadlocks with beads (ala Johnny Depp/Captain Jack).

We have bought wooden swords in port and brought them on board, of course we weren't walking around with them. :) No one took them, it must depend on the security that day.

We've bought the wooden knives before. The first time they were confiscated till the end of the cruise.

This time ... nothing.