Travel sound machine?

LHC

I have been a RN for 40 years. I can wake upon a second and respond to emergencies. That explained I need a light weight sounds home for my cabin to block noise. Any suggestions?

I have been a RN for 40 years. I can wake upon a second and respond to emergencies. That explained I need a light weight sounds home for my cabin to block noise. Any suggestions?

My wife travels with a Marsona Sound Conditioner, Model DS-600A. About the size of a thick paperback book, works with either AC or 4AA batteries. I believe she got this from Amazon. It's not as realistic or sophisticated as the home unit she uses, but it does the job. Sorry I can't be sure about where she got it. The unit has been on a number of land trips and several cruises, and has stood up well.

If you have an iPad you can get some sound machine apps. I have a few loaded on mine. Nothing extra to carry/pack. There are probably ones for smart phones, Kindle Fire, and other electronic gizmos.

Yes! We have an app that we use for our 9 month old granddaughter when she visits and needs a nap. Works on both iPad and iPhone, with many sound variations, a timer, etc.

:confused: With an iPhone you can easily go to iTunes on it. Any app will download within a minute or so.

Just make sure while on your cruise that you have 'data roaming' turned off. You don't want to come home to a HUGE phone bill.

Edited by Mary Ellen

:confused: With an iPhone you can easily go to iTunes on it. Any app will download within a minute or so.

Just make sure while on your cruise that you have 'data roaming' turned off. You don't want to come home to a HUGE phone bill.

Unless you want/need to use your phone to place or receive calls during the cruise, and understand the cost of doing so, you are safest putting it in airplane mode.

My wife travels with a Marsona Sound Conditioner, Model DS-600A. About the size of a thick paperback book, works with either AC or 4AA batteries. I believe she got this from Amazon. It's not as realistic or sophisticated as the home unit she uses, but it does the job. Sorry I can't be sure about where she got it. The unit has been on a number of land trips and several cruises, and has stood up well.

I love this model and have traveled with it for years to make very hotel room sound just like home and it blocks most sounds that would disturb sleep.

I've been traveling with the Marsona for many years now. The "newer" version is much lighter, as the adaptor for European current is built in. However, mine does not have the battery possibility, which must be nice.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been using the Sound Oasis Travel Alarm Clock that I bought from Magellan's well over 5 years ago and love it! It plays 19 sounds, includes a dual-voltage AC adapter and 4 foreign adapter plugs, or works via 4 alkaline AA batteries. It comes in a leatherette carrying case and is very small (5¼'' x 3'' x ¾'') and lightweight. The sounds are so realistic, my traveling companion woke one morning on board thinking we'd slept with the porthole open - LOL! The "Harbor Cove" sound was the culprit. ;)

The only downside is that it is a bit pricey at $89.50, but I feel I've gotten my money's worth many times over for the number of times I've used it.

Here's the link to it on Magellan's site:

http://www.magellans.com/sound-oasis-travel-alarm-clock

KK