Alaska Cruise - does the side of ship matter?

Bizylizy1123

We are going on an Alaska cruise next year - which side of the ship is better view wise, or doesn't it matter since you basically go up and come back down again? We will be on the Pearl Glacier Bay 9/14 cruise.

Please excuse the non-ship verbiage (I can never remember which is port and which is starboard, I also have a hard time with left and right), but we are currently on the left side as you face forward, so the balcony view will be out to sea as we go north and towards land as we go south.

on the jewel out of skagway, the views from the starboard side were stunning. Not sure if the Pearl goes through that same area, but if she does, pick Starboard.

IMG_3417-vi.jpg

Edited by sdmike

We had a port side balcony on the Pearl which was perfect for Glacier Bay. We hung out on the balcony with the door open and the TV turned up so we could hear the ranger presentation.

In addition to ordering a couple of "warm, adult beverages", we enjoyed some mimosas that we made with some room service OJ and the bottle of champagne we had from our anniversary package.

We went up to the Spinnaker Lounge after turning around at Marjorie Glacier.

Glacier Bay Drink Specials.pdf

We had a port side balcony on the Pearl which was perfect for Glacier Bay. We hung out on the balcony with the door open and the TV turned up so we could hear the ranger presentation.

In addition to ordering a couple of "warm, adult beverages", we enjoyed some mimosas that we made with some room service OJ and the bottle of champagne we had from our anniversary package.

We went up to the Spinnaker Lounge after turning around at Marjorie Glacier.

Just wondering if those "Glacier Bay Drink Specials" are included in the UBP?

IMO, there's no difference between either side when cruising Alaska. The views are stunning either side. You are mostly cruising in narrow waterways where you're going in and then out again on the same waterway, so you'll see both sides no mater which side of the ship your cabin is on.

However, let me make a pitch for the forward balcony suites. The views from those balconies are beyond amazing, particularly when the ship stops up close to the glacier in the Tarr inlet. Yes, it can be chilly on the forward balcony when the ship is moving, but I'll take a little chilly in trade for the wonderful views.

Once you reach the inside passage area (around Dixon Entrance) the side of the ship does not matter as the views will be similar. I do love the aft cabins so you can see both sides - I have not tried a fwd facing suite yet - just assumed they were too windy.

Both the Jewel and Pearl transit around the windward side of Vancouver Island both leaving Seattle and on the return trip via Victoria. If you are on the starboard (right) side of the ship you will see Victoria and Vancouver Island on the trip up and ocean and Washington on the return.

This area is known for pods of resident Orcas - often seen on either side of the ship on the way out of Seattle - you make the return at night.

If you are on the Sun then you departure will be from Vancouver and you will travel on the leeward side of the Island and the only real open ocean will be after Hubbard glacier until you reach Whittier.

Edited by bonvoyagie

We enjoyed our "really big balcony" on the Sun.

Actually, we had an inside cabin and spent most of the inside passage sail on the top deck of the ship.

This was a terrific place to be.

We were mesmerized by the scenery and could move port or starboard whenever we saw or heard of whales, eagles, etc.

If I were to book Alaska again and had the opportunity to have a balcony, I would want a forward or aft.