My worse January cruise travel nightmare happening for some today

INCHARGE

I am cruising on the Valor out of San Juan in January, traveling the same day of the cruise, on a Sunday. :eek: One of my biggest fears has been to be snowed in, and the planes being grounded. Today, this is exactly what is happening. Ice and snow is causing delays and cancellations in the DC area. If this has happened to you, or someone you know, what did you do? There are 3 couples, so we are thinking if it is a predicted storm on that Sunday, to drive as far south as we can to Florida on Saturday. We are with Jet Blue, and they are offering to rebook people today because of the storm, with no fee. I don't like traveling the day of a cruise, so I have been a wreak about this.

In total agreement with the prior post. It would be wise to switch your flight to two days before the cruise and find a reasonable hotel to stay in, even if it is in the new part of San Juan and not a Old San Juan hotel that would be close to port.

Worse comes to worst, drive as far as you can and fly from a Florida city to San Juan the day before.

We did the same thing only on a good weather day! Flight canceled split up three couples onto different flights. We were last to come into San Juan at 9:30 pm. It was horrible so late we missed the muster. They hurried us on I think we went in the hatch where they take the luggage. It was like amazing race and we lost. Never doing that again. I would freaking start driving now! Good luck!

What does your travel insurance policy cover in case of cancelled or delayed flights due to inclement weather?

Edited by Tapi

When we lived in the mountains of NC, we had two cruises that got threatened by major snowstorms. Mind you, neither of these where to San Juan, which definitely creates its own challenges.

We had flights booked and as the storm appeared to seriously threaten our ability to fly (I monitored the progress of the storm across the states and saw that it was going to impact our flights)... I called Expedia, cancelled the flights and took a credit with them. We then hastily packed, got the dogs to the kennel, and drove to the port two days before our cruise left. (We left on Friday and the ship left on Sunday. Our flights were scheduled for Saturday morning.) For one of these events, we left Asheville just as the flakes began to fall. All the flights were cancelled across the state... it was a good call. We later used the fight credit for a summer vacation. I had to pay $50 change fee per person but it was well worth it. Both times.

We still book flights in the winter to our cruise ports but I know that if a storm is going to threaten my cruise, I am bugging out of here and getting to the port well before the storm hits. Just because the ticket is non-refundable does NOT mean they won't cancel that reservation and change it for another one. Also, because they have so many people that are changing their flights...they might be willing to waive the change fee.

Getting to San Juan might be a challenge... but if you can fly out early, do it. If you can get to Florida and then regroup... that might be the only option.

Good luck! And try not to sweat it!

We have done both, being from Minnesota we plan at least a day ahead to be sure we get there. We have done the same day and I am a wreck the week before with just worry that we wont make it, so no more of that we pay for a room for the night before or two. I think this year we would be better off with two lol weather is a mess right now and even some have been cancelled for over three to four days. Going back I could care less if we get back late I just don't want to miss out on the cruise itself!! :D

We don't cruise often. We're going on out 5th cruise next month - first one was in the 80's. On the first 4 cruises (including one from San Juan) we always arrived at least a day ahead of the departure. We have relatives in Florida so always had a place to stay. On our first cruise the ship actually stopped and pulled over to the dock to pick up 2 passengers arriving by cab from the Miami airport. That has made me gun-shy about same day travel. When we sailed from San Juan I used USAir frequent flyer miles to fly down on Saturday and Holiday Inn Priority Club points to stay at the Intercontinental and had a great Saturday night before our cruise. In January 2012 we drove to Port Canaveral and arrived on Thursday and spent a couple of days with my cousin. Next month we're leaving from Baltimore which is an hour away from us so the current plan it to drive down mid-morning. Today, however, we have several inches of snow on the ground and the hour trip might take 2-3 hours. The Carnival Pride sails at 4:30 so I'm not worried. Next month I'll watch the weather and if it looks ugly, we'll stay at a hotel near the port Saturday night reducing our drive to a couple of miles. The main thing it to be thinking about these possibilities. Generally, that thinking needs to start when you book air travel. On the cruises we've flown to, I always figured going the day before was prudent.

From Jet Blue for today's travelers: I only printed places that would work for us. I don't know what is off of 95 south, but we will find out.

Rebooking

If your flight is cancelled for any reason, you can rebook your flight without incurring a fee by calling 1-800-JETBLUE (538-2583). For your convenience, you may rebook your flight in or out one of the neighboring airports listed below.

If you're traveling in or out of the following areas, consider these neighboring airports:

Norman Y. Mineta San Jose International (SJC)

South Florida

Palm Beach International Airport (PBI)

Fort Lauderdale Hollywood International (FLL)

Tampa Bay

Sarasota-Bradenton International (SRQ)

Tampa International (TPA)

I am a smart traveler, and believe in going a day early, especially in the winter, but it is his job. That's why I have always enjoyed my solo cruises, no worries about any of this. I could leave when I wanted, but he is worth the aggravation. :)

Edited by INCHARGE

consider these neighboring airports:

Norman Y. Mineta San Jose International (SJC)

South Florida

Palm Beach International Airport (PBI)

Fort Lauderdale Hollywood International (FLL)

Tampa Bay

Sarasota-Bradenton International (SRQ)

Tampa International (TPA)

SJC (San Jose) is in California :eek: Something tells me that might not work.

Most northernmost airport in Florida with nonstop service to San Juan on JetBlue is JAX-Jacksonville.

SJC (San Jose) is in California :eek: Something tells me that might not work.

Most northernmost airport in Florida with nonstop service to San Juan on JetBlue is JAX-Jacksonville.

Thanks so much, Tapi. I will note that info in my travel papers to have JAX as a back-up. Haha, I deleted all except SJC. :)

Some people do not have the option of flying in a day or two before.

That's why I feel so scared this time, due to DH work schedule. We can head out to Fla by car as soon as he gets off, even if we have to drive all night. Hopefully this won't be needed, but I like options, just in case.

I am cruising on the Valor out of San Juan in January, traveling the same day of the cruise, on a Sunday. :eek: One of my biggest fears has been to be snowed in, and the planes being grounded. Today, this is exactly what is happening. Ice and snow is causing delays and cancellations in the DC area. If this has happened to you, or someone you know, what did you do? There are 3 couples, so we are thinking if it is a predicted storm on that Sunday, to drive as far south as we can to Florida on Saturday. We are with Jet Blue, and they are offering to rebook people today because of the storm, with no fee. I don't like traveling the day of a cruise, so I have been a wreak about this.

We maintain a "never on a ship and a plane in the same day" policy. It is risky if you are flying into anywhere, to fly in the day of the cruise.

As for flying out the day you return, we have seen people burnt over the years with this, especially in ports like Galveston, and New Orleans that are prone to fog issues.

Edited by 13607

Those cabin pictures are awesome . What ships have them? What category?

Hope it works out well.

We drive down to P.C. and to S.Florida. while weather is not an issue, we worry about flat tires, etc. Once we got into a fender bender on the day of a cruise. OHHH. Luckily the other car was not damaged..and our agent had been a High School Coach with my Dh..so he told us to park the car..take the cruise and call him when we got in... We did.

Our car had a tiny dent..so nothing came of it. We bought a new car soon after...his old one had OVErR 150,000 miles....so we never had it fixed. Still. I don't want that happening again. it could have been far worse.

Now we drive to Fort Pierce. Stay at the Hampton Inn there. or drive to Fort Lauderdale and stay at the Hampton Inn on Commercial Blvd. Not near the port, but we have stayed there a lot. They gave us a room when Hurricane Rita had the electric off for months it seemed. Lovely people. We like the area and the Staff.

Edited by AmberTeka

We maintain a "never on a ship and a plane in the same day" policy. It is risky if you are flying into anywhere, to fly in the day of the cruise.

As for flying out the day you return, we have seen people burnt over the years with this, especially in ports like Galveston, and New Orleans that are prone to fog issues.

I like that "never on a ship and a plane in the same day" policy. :) unfortunately for us, DH and another of the husbands are in Law Enforcement. You never know what will come up. Things are unpredictable at times, but it will work out. I panicked this morning because of the ice, and it is Sunday, the day of the week we leave. Put the fear in me for a minute, but I'm calm now. :)

Edited by INCHARGE

Hey Incharge.

I hope you make it.

I'm counting on a review of that room. :D

I have it booked for Mar 16.

We will make it, I am claiming it. :)

Have you seen this video of the cabin? One of our CC members recorded it.

If it were me and I was flying in for a cruise from the north anytime between mid December thru the end of March I would plan to fly in the day before.

If your able to I would change your flights to give you that extra cushion before the start of your great vacation to be.

Have a great cruise!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - Please excuse any errors.