May have to jump ship

Granny DI

Just off the Azamara Quest West Indies Cruise. I may have to rethink the "R" ships. This was our second cruise on the Quest. I haven't been sea sick in 11 years since I started taking Meclazine...it didn't work this time. I was very sick the first two days out of Miami. Many people were sick. Butler brought me crackers, ginger and apples. He was so sweet. I've been in hurricanes and terrible storms on the bigger ships but haven't been sick in 11 years. I don't like being sick so I may have to return to the bigger ships.

I forgot to add that he also immediately filled our frig with ginger ale! Our cabin steward brought me sea sick pills but told her I had some and they weren't working. She then told me this was a good sea day...then I started thinking bigger ships in the Atlantic!

Cabin was aft as we like that area. Last time I was sick was a mid ship cabin. The Quest sailed east to the Atlantic and not through the Caribbean, There were also 5 tender ports so I was having a less than fun time. The Meclazine ALWAYS works but didn't this time. I don't think it was the location of the cabin as people were sick all over the ship. Barf bags were on all the stairs etc...

We have booked a "R" ship to the Med in October so going to try to find a larger ship that does a similar itinerary.

I was on the same cruise. People were barfing on the carpet in public areas on the return voyage first sea day. Pretty rough in the Atlantic both directions. Last carib cruise I did on the Journey we took the Bahamas channel route past Cuba, etc. and it was smoother. Wonder why we went the Atlantic route this time? :confused:

I was on the same cruise. People were barfing on the carpet in public areas on the return voyage first sea day. Pretty rough in the Atlantic both directions. Last carib cruise I did on the Journey we took the Bahamas channel route past Cuba, etc. and it was smoother. Wonder why we went the Atlantic route this time? :confused:

My husband thought the Atlantic route was taken to save money along with the extra tenders. He couldn't understand why we took that route as passengers comfort should be the most important.

A friend was on the Quest Transatlantic cruise which I believe was the cruise before yours. She too was terribly ill for the first time in ten years.

So sorry part of your holiday was spoilt. Surprised your butler didn't suggest you have an injection.

Wishing you smoother seas in the future.

We were on this cruise also; for the first time in 10 years (including a bad storm out of San Francisco) dh and I experienced seasickness. Loved our first Azamara experience, but wondering if this size ship is too small for us.

On the last two sea days, no problem.

OP (Donna) - enjoyed chatting with you and dh - hope your return trip avoided weather problems.

Marion

I would never consider an Atlantic crossing on a ship the size of Quest. The only way to do a crossing comfortably is on Queen Mary 2 and even that can be hairaising at times.

Oh, please. We've done one crossing on Journey and two on Quest, including the one last month, and have never had a problem. Never say "never" or "only."

Oh, please. We've done one crossing on Journey and two on Quest, including the one last month, and have never had a problem. Never say "never" or "only."

Completely agree. The Atlantic can be unfriendly at any time of the year.

Have done several transatlantics but not yet on Azamara. However, I wouldn't hesitate to do one on Quest or Journey.

I was on the last TA on the Quest. We ran into Tropical Storm Melissa and it was also the 2nd time I got seasick. It was not good. I was in bed for a day. Then I got my sea legs and was better during the rocking and rolling :)

I was one time in the Atlantic side of the Carribean in December and it was rock and roll time.

Thank you for your instructions on the words I can use. :rolleyes:

You were very lucky marinaro44 if you didn't have a rough crossing on a November T/A especially if you did the North Atlantic. Personally I don't enjoy being seasick and not being able to walk upright, plus the long sea days so a transatlantic is not my thing but if it was, then QM2 would be the only way I would consider it. The ship is built for the North Atlantic run. My opinion only. It doesn't have to be yours.

I would rather be on an Azamara ship in The Mediterranean anytime though.

I would prefer a bigger ship for a translatic or Pacific sailings .... Mid ship all the way! Have done it many times on an "M" class ship's. I have always taken meclozine at night 2 or 3 days prior and every night of the cruise and have (knock wood) not been sick.

Not a pleasent experience to be sea sick and sadly not much you can do to reserve it once it starts.

Kathy

I was on this cruise too. I thought the first 2 days were rocky but never felt sick. I also never saw a barf bag or any other signs. Guess Jean and I were just lucky. Didn't realize we were in the Atlantic.

Marion B. Hope your flight home to Texas was uneventful. The porter who took our bags said the people whose cruises ended Saturday had many cancelled flights.

Marion, really enjoyed meeting you and Randy.

Sue

Sue in Florida - enjoyed meeting you and Jean also.

Donna - check your e-mail.

After completing my first Azamara cruise, I can say without doubt that the sense of community I felt onboard was greater than ever experienced on any other cruise line - loved the personal interaction with passengers (and crew) made possible by the smaller ship size.

Also, for those who will be sailing with Captain Jose, you are in for a treat - I am a fan.

Marion

Thank you for your instructions on the words I can use. :rolleyes:

You were very lucky marinaro44 if you didn't have a rough crossing on a November T/A especially if you did the North Atlantic. Personally I don't enjoy being seasick and not being able to walk upright, plus the long sea days so a transatlantic is not my thing but if it was, then QM2 would be the only way I would consider it. The ship is built for the North Atlantic run. My opinion only. It doesn't have to be yours.

I would rather be on an Azamara ship in The Mediterranean anytime though.

I have no problem with your making a decision for yourself but when you tell others the "only way to cross the Atlantic comfortably is on the QM2" I think that's a bit presumptuous, and, frankly, bad advice for most people. As I wrote, we've done five crossings, three on R ships and two on larger ships, and I'm ready to sign up for another.

I will also tell you that the roughest seas we encountered on Quest this past November were in the Mediterranean. We missed port in Trapani because of it and it was much rougher all the way from Sorrento to Barcelona than it was anywhere in the Atlantic on the following cruise. Perhaps you should just avoid ships the size of the R ships if you are that sensitive. Rough seas can happen anywhere.

Just off the Azamara Quest West Indies Cruise. I may have to rethink the "R" ships. This was our second cruise on the Quest. I haven't been sea sick in 11 years since I started taking Meclazine...it didn't work this time. I was very sick the first two days out of Miami. Many people were sick. Butler brought me crackers, ginger and apples. He was so sweet. I've been in hurricanes and terrible storms on the bigger ships but haven't been sick in 11 years. I don't like being sick so I may have to return to the bigger ships.

Granny DI, with all due respect, I don't think you can lay the blame on your seasickness on the Quest. It sounds like you went through a very bad patch of weather that would have made anyone sick, regardless of the size of the ship. If you love the Quest, I wouldn't let this unfortunate incident deter you from booking another voyage on her.

Look at this post from the RCI forum. You will see the size offers no protection against seasickness! I can tell you that from experience. We sailed on the Independence of the Seas across the Bay of Biscayne. We're talking a ship that holds 3,000+ passengers. We came back from a day at port to be greeted by barf bags everywhere! That was a bumpy night. Another time we were on the Voyager and the decks were closed due to high winds and waves, and that was in the Adriatic Seas. In short, sometimes there's just no hope for those of us who are prone to seasickness, no matter how large or small the ship may be. Here's some graphic reading for you. :eek: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=195370

Deirdre,

I was in a hurricane off the coast of Greenland on the Grand Princess...many people were hurt but I didn't get sick. We were in an awful spring storm sailing to Bermuda aboard the old Norwegian Crown...we were scared to death but I didn't get sick. Two years ago we encountered 3 horrible storms on the Tasman sea aboard the Emerald Princess. We missed several ports, but I didn't get sick. The only thing I can attribute this bout of sea sickness to was the size or design of the "R" ships.

Edited by Granny DI

Deirdre,

I was in a hurricane off the coast of Greenland ..an awful spring storm sailing to Bermuda... 3 horrible storms on the Tasman sea abut I didn't get sick. The only thing I can attribute this bout of sea sickness to was the size or design of the "R" ships.

Speaking as a marine scientist with over 300 sea days, there are many variables between "storms". Wind direction/ speed compared to ship direction/speed being a major one and that has nothing to do with ship size. You should consider yourself lucky with the conditions of your previous storm experiences.

Also, speaking for myself there are also personal issues that make one more susceptible to stormy seas at certain times. For example, sinus pressure, associated with the passage of certain storm fronts may add to the impact of sea conditions for certain passengers. Also unrelated to ship size or design.

I really think you need to consider parameters other than the ship size with respect to storm conditions.

The strange thing about the cruise on the Azamara Quest from Miami to the West Indies was there were NO storms. No thunder, lightning etc...a little rain and high waves. It was very strange and the high waves continued for most of the cruise making tendering very interesting.