May have to jump ship

Granny DI

The strange thing about the cruise on the Azamara Quest from Miami to the West Indies was there were NO storms. No thunder, lightning etc...a little rain and high waves. It was very strange and the high waves continued for most of the cruise making tendering very interesting.

Granny DI!!! You've made my day. We're sailing the Quest next Friday from Miami for an Xmas West Indies cruise!! I hope we encounter the same weather & wave conditions that you did. Right up my alley. :D

Granny DI!!! You've made my day. We're sailing the Quest next Friday from Miami for an Xmas West Indies cruise!! I hope we encounter the same weather & wave conditions that you did. Right up my alley. :D

The last few cruises have been so smooth it hasn't felt like I'm on a ship. That's Azamara as well as Celebrity. I do like some feeling of movement, but I may regret saying that. I've done half a dozen transatlantics and once again been lucky. The Atlantic is very fickle. You stand a better chance of calmer seas taking the more southern North Atlantic route, but it can still be rough there too. The bumpiest I ever had was taking the more northerly route from Ireland across to New York. That was on Celebrity Constellation and by the time we got to Newfoundland it had salt blasted part of the name of the ship off:

Connienamesaltblasted_zpsf4aafaa3.jpg

I wish you a comfortable sailing Deirdre;)

Phil

Speaking as a marine scientist with over 300 sea days, there are many variables between "storms". Wind direction/ speed compared to ship direction/speed being a major one and that has nothing to do with ship size. You should consider yourself lucky with the conditions of your previous storm experiences.

Also, speaking for myself there are also personal issues that make one more susceptible to stormy seas at certain times. For example, sinus pressure, associated with the passage of certain storm fronts may add to the impact of sea conditions for certain passengers. Also unrelated to ship size or design.

I really think you need to consider parameters other than the ship size with respect to storm conditions.

Really interesting post, and thanks for your analysis. To clarify, is ship's size not one of the parameters to consider or is it relatively minor?

When I was a student, I was helping to reposition a fishing tug on the Great Lakes and we encountered a rather infamous storm on Lke Erie.

The only position on the tug that saved me from serious illness was at the helm.

Unfortunately, much as the crew attempt to please us, I can't imagine the captain of the Quest handing over command so that I can avoid distress. :)

Edited by nordski

Thanks for your best wishes, Phil. I daresay we'll have a marvelous sailing. However, this topic interests me because I'm one of those unfortunates who suffers from seasickness. Unlike Granny DI I've managed to quell the angst by simply taking Bonine, and as of now it's never failed me. I did look up a lot on the internet though because forewarned is forearmed! I found out--and this made me laugh--that the term "nausea" has its roots in Greek. "Naus" is Greek for ship. Oh dear, I feel the irony. :eek::eek::eek:

The strange thing about the cruise on the Azamara Quest from Miami to the West Indies was there were NO storms. No thunder, lightning etc...a little rain and high waves. It was very strange and the high waves continued for most of the cruise making tendering very interesting.

Granny DI- I was on the transatlantic immediately preceding your cruise, and indeed there was a storm. TD Melissa was far out in the Atlantic, but was still producing the high waves and strong swell that you experienced. Waves travel great distances.

NORDSKI- To clarify ship size, hull shape, stabilizers etc. do make a difference, but the sea is huge and strong seas (and I speak from experience with TD Melissa) will impact all vessels regardless of physical characteristics.

Also, It is well known that staring at the horizon helps settle some sea queasiness, this may be what you were doing "at the helm". Also focusing on something other than your sea sickness helps too.

On the Miami roundtrip West Indies cruise on the Quest the weather was mildly unsettled during the Atlantic sea days. Winds force five to six per the bridge. Swells were up to 5 meters as I recall. Occasional showers. Somewhat tropical in nature. Perhaps a little early in the season as we were the only ship in almost all ports (Azura joined us in St. Kitts, Carnival in St. Maarten while we were anchored off Marigot in St. Martin). The early season start put us on the edge of tropical weather risk I think. At sea we were Atlantic ocean, 5000 meters under the keel. I suppose we did that route because it was more economical or something. The Bahamas channel within the Carib sea would probably have been smoother but I am just speculating here. We saw no other ships at sea outbound from November 26 -28. On the return sea days, same route in reverse, we saw a Carnival on the same route and a Celebrity, I think, outbound. Otherwise, just us and King Neptune. The waves in the tendering ports were pretty brutal as well. I longed for a dock. I didn't notice too much seasickness outbound but the first Atlantic sea day on the return was brutal for some. The stairwells and elevators became vomatoriums and the smell could have made some want to join in. The crew did a great job of cleaning things up and things smoothed out on the last day before Miami.

Edited by flyingshoes

NORDSKI- To clarify ship size, hull shape, stabilizers etc. do make a difference, but the sea is huge and strong seas (and I speak from experience with TD Melissa) will impact all vessels regardless of physical characteristics.

Also, It is well known that staring at the horizon helps settle some sea queasiness, this may be what you were doing "at the helm". Also focusing on something other than your sea sickness helps too.

Thanks!

Speaking as a marine scientist with over 300 sea days, there are many variables between "storms". Wind direction/ speed compared to ship direction/speed being a major one and that has nothing to do with ship size.

As a meteorologist and boat owner, I can second leo178's assessment. Wave height is certainly important, but wave direction relative to ship course and distance between waves also play a big role. TAs in November are risky for any size ship. I'm surprised the captain didn't seek a more southerly route to avoid rough conditions, but maybe it was no better there. On last year's TA on Celebrity S-class Reflection, the captain did alter his planned route to get better conditions. And we've been on the M-class Summit in the southern Caribbean, and encountered conditions and results similar to what's been described on Quest. So, yes, its about more than ship size.

I'm surprised the captain didn't seek a more southerly route to avoid rough conditions, but maybe it was no better there.
What makes you think he didn't? In fact, he did on the trans-Atlantic, going well south of the normal route from Tenerife to Bermuda. While not hurricane force, Melissa was huge in area, generating waves to the southern tip of Florida and Puerto Rico.

"....but maybe it was no better there." You're probably right. I'm sure he did the best he could for safety and passenger comfort.
Captain Carl made a point of how much extra fuel he was burning by taking a circuitous route (requiring pretty much top speed to make Bermuda on time) in an effort to avoid the heart of the storm.

And, frankly, it wasn't all that bad. We encountered much worse in the Med on the cruise just before, causing us to miss Trapani and more than a few to miss a meal or two.

din929 We'll be on the same cruise with you next week. I'm usually okay with average waves and like to be rocked to sleep by moderate ship movement, but I've also sailed thru some horrific storms that have made me quite ill.

My fortunate DH never gets sea sick.:rolleyes:

But please don't hope for a repeat of Granny Di's experience on us.

That may be fun for you and my DH with his stomach of steel, but the thought of being sick with hundreds of other queasy passengers in a ship that small has me running to the store for some ginger caps, wrist bands, Bonine and anything else I can think of. :eek:

P.S. I can't wait!:D

Bring saltine crackers with you. The ship's crackers are what I call table crackers and have very little salt. Ask your cabin steward for ginger, apples and ginger ale. If you have it in your cabin then you won't get sick. I found if I could force myself to eat the ginger, apple and crackers then I felt better...not good enough to leave the room but better.

I love the gentle rocking of a boat...helps me sleep. This was something different...I didn't dare move or I'd get sick. Start taking the meclizine a day before...I took mine about 4 hours prior to sailing and I was a goner by bedtime.

din929 We'll be on the same cruise with you next week. I'm usually okay with average waves and like to be rocked to sleep by moderate ship movement, but I've also sailed thru some horrific storms that have made me quite ill.

My fortunate DH never gets sea sick.:rolleyes:

But please don't hope for a repeat of Granny Di's experience on us.

That may be fun for you and my DH with his stomach of steel, but the thought of being sick with hundreds of other queasy passengers in a ship that small has me running to the store for some ginger caps, wrist bands, Bonine and anything else I can think of. :eek:

P.S. I can't wait!:D

Oh no! I wasn't thinking of the storm weather that made Granny DI so ill but the high waves she said they had on their West Indies sailing. I figured since the waves didn't bring on storms, then they were only high enough to make for a comforting kind of rocking, not the kind that induces barf bags. I hope I didn't read her wrong because like you, I get seasick (DH, like yours, doesn't...life's so unfair sometimes ;) ). Oh well, there's not much that we can do about it, is there? Weather will be weather no matter how much we hope otherwise. I can't wait for next Friday either!!! I know it's going to be such a wonderful cruise.

There is a positive side to all of this...I didn't gain a single pound in 12 days. The only thing that looked good to me was, bread, cheese, fruit, sorbet etc.....The last sea day I was feeling better so I had a piece of pizza....tasted good. I usually gain at least 5 pounds. I wasn't hungry for most of the cruise, but kept thinking I'd get hungry before the cruise was over!!! DH gained the weight I didn't! He never gets motion sickness!

We were on the same West Indies cruise and it really wasn't all that bad. My DH is very sensitive to motion but he managed just fine after the 2'nd day. Yes lots of rocking and rolling the first few days,but we encountered higher waves in the same area last year on Azamaras San Juan to New York via Virgin Islands and Bermuda. Some rough enough to almost roll one out of bed !!!

We were on that same November West Indies Cruise and, although, I am usually prone to seasickness and motion sickness, I was never even queasy. I did see some barf bags placed in a few stairwells, but happy to say, I never saw anyone sick or evidence that anyone even had been sick. Looking forward to getting back on the Quest January 5th for the Panama Canal.

ALSO gotta say... Captain Jose is a gem!

Oh no! I wasn't thinking of the storm weather that made Granny DI so ill but the high waves she said they had on their West Indies sailing. I figured since the waves didn't bring on storms, then they were only high enough to make for a comforting kind of rocking, not the kind that induces barf bags. I hope I didn't read her wrong because like you, I get seasick (DH, like yours, doesn't...life's so unfair sometimes ;) ). Oh well, there's not much that we can do about it, is there? Weather will be weather no matter how much we hope otherwise. I can't wait for next Friday either!!! I know it's going to be such a wonderful cruise.

Yes, it will be a wonderful cruise. And you're right, nothing we can do about the weather so why worry. ;) Maybe I read Granny DI wrong as well.

I really was not being serious, just a little overly dramatic, lol.

It takes a lot for me to get seasick, really.

Granny DI - If it looks like we might be rockin' and a rollin' I'll take some Bonine asap, too. It doesn't make me as drowsy as Dramamine, for sure. Packing those salty saltines soon, too!:)