MDR vs. Lawn Club Grill

poolwife

Read a lot of good reviews about the Lawn Club Grill. We are going on our first "S" class cruise on the Silhouette March 2. I don't usually tend to try specialty restaurants but this one is getting such rave reviews. Can anyone tell me the great advantages it has vs. the main dining room.

My husband and I and the other couple we were traveling with tried Qsine on the Millenium and none of us cared for it and certainly did not think it was worth the up charge. I know a lot of people enjoy it, but it was just not our thing at all at least not for that price.

The food I have heard about so far in the Lawn Club Grill sounds more my speed.

Can someone please educate me about it? Thank you.

The Lawn Club is situated up on the grass deck, and is covered over, it has a very laid back, relaxed vibe, (wear casual clothes) and is also interactive if you wish - you can join in with cooking, and make either flat bread pizzas, or grill your own steaks/fish etc. We enjoy the atmosphere, the staff make it fun, the pizzas were delicious, there is a salad bar, other food options include Steak, Skewers, Lobster Mac and Cheese, Baked Potatoes, Beans, etc. Desserts are yummy, my favourite is the giant warm cookie, with ice cream, or apple crumble, mmm.

There are some photos/video footage in my blog - see link below.

The Lawn Club is situated up on the grass deck, and is covered over, it has a very laid back, relaxed vibe, (wear casual clothes) and is also interactive if you wish - you can join in with cooking, and make either flat bread pizzas, or grill your own steaks/fish etc. We enjoy the atmosphere, the staff make it fun, the pizzas were delicious, there is a salad bar, other food options include Steak, Skewers, Lobster Mac and Cheese, Baked Potatoes, Beans, etc. Desserts are yummy, my favourite is the giant warm cookie, with ice cream, or apple crumble, mmm.

I agree with Louise, probably one of the best desserts on our trip and the children had a great time making the pizzas.

If you are cruising in March, weather shouldn't be a problem. When we tried the Lawn Club we were on the Adriatic, it was 7:00 PM and it was super hot and uncomfortable. My son had to go to our cabin and change his shirt between courses. :( My best advice is to make a reservation after sunset. Some days there are jazz concerts on the lawn, we were really fortunate and had the opportunity to enjoy the music during our dinner. If you can find out when they are offering the concerts, make the reservation for that day. Hope you enjoy the Silhouette, it is a beautiful ship.:):)

Ahhhh, I LOVE the Reflection video on your blog! I was just thinking the other day that "All Night" would be a great cruise/vacation video song :) Good job!

Thank you for your replies.

So then I gather you all think it is worth the $40.00 upcharge per person even when ordering just pizza? Sounds high for pizza per persons.

Sounds good for dinner for the rib eye, lamb, etc..

Any more thoughts?

Thank you for your replies.

So then I gather you all think it is worth the $40.00 upcharge per person even when ordering just pizza? Sounds high for pizza per persons.

Sounds good for dinner for the rib eye, lamb, etc..

Any more thoughts?

The flatbread appetizer is very good, not $40 good. Sometimes during the cruise, they will offer dinner in the speciality restaurants at 50% off. I'd wait for that offer if you're only having the flatbreads.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Forums mobile app

And don't forget to try The Porch for lunch. Well worth every penny and more of the $5 up charge. Great pulled pork, med. rare roast beef paninis and GREAT cupcakes for dessert. Good soup and salad also. It may have eclipsed Bistro on 5 as my favorite "go-to" spot.

Thanks so much. That sounds yummy. Sounds similar to The Park café (I think that is the name of it) on deck 8 on the Allure of the Seas and Oasis of the Seas.

I love Bistro on 5 also when we were on the Millenium sailing Alaska. They even made our favorite crepe custom done being nutella with bananas (which is on their menu) but we added strawberries. Yum, yum. Can't wait to try it again.

What deck is The Porch on?

Thanks so much for the tips. This is our first time on the Solstice class ship and I am really looking forward to it. Wish we were going in January. That is when we usually cruise to the Caribbean. I will have to be patient and wait until March.

Read a lot of good reviews about the Lawn Club Grill. We are going on our first "S" class cruise on the Silhouette March 2. I don't usually tend to try specialty restaurants but this one is getting such rave reviews. Can anyone tell me the great advantages it has vs. the main dining room.

My husband and I and the other couple we were traveling with tried Qsine on the Millenium and none of us cared for it and certainly did not think it was worth the up charge. I know a lot of people enjoy it, but it was just not our thing at all at least not for that price.

The food I have heard about so far in the Lawn Club Grill sounds more my speed.

Can someone please educate me about it? Thank you.

Have dined at the lawn club, and will again on our next Silhouette cruise. It is a wonderful venue. Unlike the MDR, food is prepared for the individual guest. Not banquet style.

We started our dinner at the Lawn Grill, with a individually prepared pizza appetizer. (other choices are available). You decided on all of the toppings you want- and can even help prepare it if you wish- Then we had a wonderful fresh salad from a small but very adequate salad bar. The next course can be a steak, chicken, fish or other delicious main course, with true steak house sides- like creamed spinach, grilled mushrooms, mashed potatoes and onions. Plus other choices- Last but not least is a great dessert. You can even grill your main course with the assistance of a chef- we opted not to prepare- but have the chef prepare for us.

The service on the Reflection at the grill, was wonderful! We were so impressed that we dined at the grill twice on our reflection cruise. This is our new favorite restaurant. Only available on the Silhouette and Reflection.

Enjoy!

Edited by Cruise a holic

So, I am gathering that it is worth it if you are dining there for dinner.

We are going on the March 2 cruise, what time do you recommend? Wonder what time sunset is on that cruise.

I highly recommend it. Like Cruise aholic stated, it's cooked specifically for you. They have a large choice of meats and cuts. The sides are also very good. The ribeye I had could be cut with your fork. The Porch is just forward of the Lawn Club Grill on the starboard side.

SDT

I guess getting all that food that Cruise a holic mentioned then it is definitely worth the $40.00 pp. Not sure I could eat that much, though, in fact, I know I couldn't. Sounds yummy though.

I noticed that it was originally $30.00 pp and they have raised it now. What a bummer. Glad to know you all think it is worth it.

Not sure what time sunset will be but that sounds like a good time to pick.

We dined there last year on Silouhette and will again this Feb on Reflection. To really get the most out of the experience participate in the making of the flat breads and the meats. It was very educational and lots of fun! Also makes for some great vacation photos. The meats and seafood were top notch. Grilling my filet mignon with a glass of sangria in my hand under the stars was one of my favorite memories of my cruise.

I guess getting all that food that Cruise a holic mentioned then it is definitely worth the $40.00 pp. Not sure I could eat that much, though, in fact, I know I couldn't. Sounds yummy though.

I noticed that it was originally $30.00 pp and they have raised it now. What a bummer. Glad to know you all think it is worth it.

Not sure what time sunset will be but that sounds like a good time to pick.

One thing to know, typically if you dine the first night in a specialty restaurant, you get a 20% discount. Call Celebrity, or book when you board either in Specialty restaurant near Murano or at Kiosk, outside buffet area after you board.

One thing to know, typically if you dine the first night in a specialty restaurant, you get a 20% discount. Call Celebrity, or book when you board either in Specialty restaurant near Murano or at Kiosk, outside buffet area after you board.

I was just on Reflection and I had to argue this with 2 different reservers it ticked me off. I went to customer service and they got a manager. He said no also, only if you prebooked. I pulled up the web flyer he didn't look at it, but he changed his tune and honored the 20% off. The flyer says first night pre-book or book on board. It was one of my only negative on reflection.

We are going on the March 2 cruise, what time do you recommend? Wonder what time sunset is on that cruise.

You can find that our here:

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html?n=226

If you're doing Eastern Caribbean, San Juan will be pretty close. You can play with dates & locations.

Just me, but I have no intention of cooking for myself on a cruise. If we do a specially restaurant it will be Murano.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app