Ocean View vs. Verandah

runnergirl71

On our first cruise we had a balcony and we went out on it once in a while, we preferred to go out of the deck. The next two were ocean view. We have got an ocean view for our Alaska cruise next summer.Tthe windows (on the Oosterdam) are really big and are just fine.

The problem with a non obstructed ocean view those on Main deck is that the head of the bed is up against the wall for the window and to me making a window absolutely worthless.

I agree theat the window is almost useless except for letting in light. Most ships have the bed near the bathroom and other furnishings close to the window. You can stand or sit and look out. There is no comfortable way to look out when you stick the bed in front of the window. :eek: I wish HAL rearranged the OV cabins.

I agree theat the window is almost useless except for letting in light. Most ships have the bed near the bathroom and other furnishings close to the window. You can stand or sit and look out. There is no comfortable way to look out when you stick the bed in front of the window. :eek: I wish HAL rearranged the OV cabins.
On the Signature ships the OVs have the bed oriented forward/aft, just like verandahs. In OVs on other ships we have the steward split the bed into twins.

For me the verandah was worthless in Alaska. Way too cold to use it. And, there are plenty of other areas on board for viewing. Having said that, if luck granted me superb weather, and I'd booked an Outside, I would have been disappointed not to have the verandah. :rolleyes:

I think we're all agreed that a verandah is great to have for Alaska, but the OP was asking the question based on cost and smoking issues. As I said before, having done both ocean view and verandah, if both those issues are a factor (and there certainly is a big price differential for her cruise) then an ocean view is a good choice, given that HAL ships have the promenade deck and other areas perfect for viewing.

I'm with you on this, Annette. We had a verandah on our recent crossing. We didn't use the verandah all that often...and when we did, we had the smell o smoke from the aft wrap next to us. It's pretty much a waste of money a lot of times.

We have had both and didn't find much difference between the cabins.

If you get a balcony and have good neighbors you will probably love it but if you get a cigar chain smoker in the cabin in front of yours like we did then it will be $1,000 up in smoke.

• 1 month later...

I don't spend a lot of time in my cabin or on a veranda. I prefer to be out and about on the ship. I'll find a few favorite spots -- a covered lounger on deck, a comfy seat with a view inside -- and that's where I prefer to be. Maybe it's because I usually travel solo. I enjoy watching people and talking with others.

We just had a lovely balcony cabin on Celebrity Silhouette with beautiful weather throughout the New Year's cruise. How much time did I spent out there? Probably not more than 5-6 hours total over the course of the cruise...

I hate getting dressed in the mornings so a balcony is so nice in that I can still get a breath of fresh air and not have to wear my white robe out in public;).

LOL -- so do I, but for $1000 savings, I think I can manage it.

I can live with cigar smoke, but cigarettes make me sick! (Nostalgia, probably....my Grandad was the cigar smoker, and I miss him!)

But.....I would never cruise without access to fresh air and natural light. Reading about the disastrous cruises convinced me about this. I know everyone survived those trips, but not sure we would!

In Alaska, the best thing is getting all bundled up and calling room service for hot coffee or tea, and siting there watching glaciers. No one in your sight line, no one squeezing past to snap a photo after you have been waiting there for hours.....just your view....Amazing! It is a splurge we have never regretted!

Barbara M. In NH