Dawn specialty dining review

legion3

Ok, I am here to review the specialty dining we did on the Dawn last week.

We splurged :o and did them all but Moderno. We did not eat diner in either MDR for the entire trip or the buffet. (we almost never eat the buffet anyway)

OK on to the cruise,

Teppanyaki

Day 1: we pre-booked Teppanyaki so we could depart Tampa with a bang. The show was very good and entertained my two DD's (7 and 4). At 5:30 we were a party of 4 and one other couple were all that were present.

The Food was very good too, it was too much food. It really was. Could have made a meal of just the salad, soup, grilled veggies and fried rice.

However we did order a main course. I got the Shrimp and scallops, my DW got the chicken with noodles, my one DD got lobster, scallops and calamari and my other DD got beef and chicken. No kids menu was offered so they got full meals. At the end we took back to our cabin two full plates of chicken and beef. :eek: Even a day later as a midnight snack the food was great cold.

Le Bistro

Day 2: My DW and I did Le Bistro the next night. It was good but did not wow us. Service was very so-so. I had heard so much good that I was somewhat disappointed. DW said "if this is the ceiling on food then I guess we now know." BUT...tune in for the tale of two sittings for Le Bistro.

Had the Pork and really was nothing special. We also sat in the wine cellar area which might have been nice except for the noise of Gatsby's and a live and loud singer, 6 feet away, singing not very french tunes ;), loudly. Also, we had just done the martini tasting a few hours before and were not fully out from under the affects of them. We could not even consider ordering dessert. All of which may have contributed to the evening as well.

La Cucina

Day 3: Whole family partook, much better than expected, nice big room, generally a more darker and intimate venue, way more than Le Bistro was. Unfortunately we had the kids :p. Fortunately they brought the kids meals way way early, which was good. They also were done eating before we had our main meals, which was bad. I quickly whisked them up to the kids splash academy and dropped them off and returned to find my meal waiting. It was still hot. So DW and I finished the meal. They served the only warm bread on the ship along with multiple olive oil dips. To be fair we did not have any pasta in the meals we chose, so that could have been cooked poorly, I don't know. Deserts were excellent.

La Cucina Pizza and meal in room

Day 4: We had a suite so we decided to have our Butler bring a La Cucina pizza for the kids and two salads and the bread service with olive oils and set it up in our room. Even delivered the food was warm and excellent. We really liked this venue even though Italian is not my first choice.

Bamboo

Day 5: Again we all went as a family and the food was good. it was nothing special but it was not terrible. The kids ate all of their Sweet and Sour pork, despite having little sweet and sour sauce. Oh there was a big bowl of onions, peppers and pineapple but the actual amount of sauce was small, but they had enough. Had the shredded chicken and spicy beef in orange sauce. Again a good family meal overall. A middle of the road Asian eatery.

Cagny's

Day 6: Just the two of us at the steak house. It was good to excellent, my bison steak was excellent and cooked perfect. DW had the Chicken and enjoyed it very much. Service was good and overall this was a good meal.

Le Bistro

Day 7 : Had pre-booked both sea days as I was really looking forward to the menu I had seen on line and all the good reviews. This time we went without 6 martini's and lowered expectations and made it clear we wanted to be inside away from the noisy bustle of the bar area. This meal was way, way better. Better service, better taste, and we got dessert. This saved Le Bistro!!!! Viva Le Bistro. I had the Lamb it was excellent. DW had the beef filet and thought it was great. Creme Brulee and Napoleon were both excellent. We cracked open our sparking wine that came with the room and ate well.

So that's it.

Just for the record we had a suite and so ate our breakfast and lunch at Cagny's everyday and once in a while at blue Lagoon. Excellent. The steak on the steak and eggs was always well cooked and flavorful, even if a tad small. It was a quite place to eat and they took good care of us.

My kids did eat at the MDR with the kids club one morning and they partook of the kids Cafe in the buffet and occasionally we got something as well but never a whole meal. The kids liked the Kids Cafe and it was convenient to feed them so we could do the "us" dining or if in a hurry.

I had not planned on not trying the MDR's but nothing on the menu's jumped out at us and the one night we thought we would try the line waiting at both was quite long. that said we would have eaten in them but it just didn't happen.

I want to ad one thing. Blue Lagoon had good wings and was a nice place for lunch too. However a number of the kids items have to come from room service, and they say it can take 20-25 minutes, which is a lot for a grilled cheese or PB&J. :rolleyes:

Also it may say its a 24 hour eatery but after a certain point the food all comes from room service, again with the built in delay.

Room service :confused: it really becomes a table for room service after dinner. Really! might as well order it to the cabin.

the wings were still good, ask for them without sauce, and the mild sauce is very mild. My one DD does not like spicy and this she had no problem with. Almost tasted like a sweet and sour type sauce but it was buffalo like in color.

all in all a good food week.

Cheers