Amsterdam

Grumpy100

We are thinking about doing a short trip to Amsterdam in late April and early May, 2014. We would fly from US to Amsterdam and do 3 or 4 nights in Amsterdam. Then on the return do a 6 night fly/drive trip around Iceland. When you add an extra stop the airfare is not that much more so thought I would save some money on airfare and combine the trips.

Question: Looking at Amsterdam tulip time I know it depends on the weather as to when the peak time for the tulips. So...thought we would leave the US on 5/1/14 and then visit Amsterdam from 5/2/14 through 5/5/14 and depart on 5/6/14.

Is that enough time to see the tulips at Kukenhoff Gardens as well as see them out in the farmers field. Then I would also want to go to the area that has the windmills. We are not museum people so would want to do a canal cruise in Amsterdam and see some of the highlights of Amsterdam.

Is 3-4 days enough to see what I stated above.

Thanks for any input and any suggestions of where we would stay in Amsterdam looking at 3-4 star hotels.

Thanks.

Are you looking at Icelandair? they offer good stopover package rates

I think you should beable to see what you want in the time frame

I am sure INE will be better to advise you on the timing

Just to prepare you, "That said, the safest bet for hitting peak tulip time is around mid-April, smack in the middle of the opening dates for the Keukenhof. If you miss peak tulip time, don't fret -- you'll still see flowers in bloom. Before the tulips come narcissi and hyacinths, whose fragrance is so strong you can smell it from the road as you ride by. Late-season highlights at the Keukenhof include lilies and dahlias, as well as indoor exhibits." (from Amsterdam travel page).

We went mid April and just caught the beginning of Tulip Time. It is awesom to see so many million tulips in a row in the fields, but then when you get to Keukenhof and see all the displays, truly beyond words.

Have a great trip? Wish I were going back.

Indeed much depend on the weather in spring, the week you mention is in general very good for Keukenhof. Since there are many trees around flowers always bloom a little later there. Inside Keukenhof you will see a not working windmill.

However most fields will not bloom anymore. Flowers are topped soon after they bloom. Remember the trade is for the bulbs, not the flower.

Windmills still working can easily be seen and visited at Zaanse Schans, just north of Amsterdam An easy bus or tramride away.

http://www.dezaanseschans.nl/en/

PA Be aware that writing 5/1 - in Europe this means 5 January. Here we write 5/1 when meaning May 5. So when making reservations beter write it in full to avoid mistakes, e.g. for hotelreservations.

Wow I really wanted to see the fields in bloom. That is disappointing. I may cut a day in that event and just stay three days. I think I can fit everything in in that amount of time.

Thanks for the answers.

Can you go a few weeks earlier in April?

That would probably get you there to see most of them blooming

It would be a shame to miss it

Lyn

Wow I really wanted to see the fields in bloom. That is disappointing. I may cut a day in that event and just stay three days. I think I can fit everything in in that amount of time.

Thanks for the answers.

Again it also depends on the weather. Last spring was that cold that all flowers bloomed at least 2 weeks later. We drove through the fields mid May and some were still blooming. But that was rather unusual.

That's why I was going to go the first week of May that way I may hit it at full bloom or maybe hit it at the end. Either way if we go to Kukenhoff Gardens (which we will) then maybe I can see them bloom there.

A previous post on this thread said that they don't have alot of blooms out in the field anymore because the main business is the bulbs.

I don't want to go too early to Iceland because it is already cold there.

I don't want to go too early to Iceland because it is already cold there.

You will probably be in the 40's in April/May it may not get very warm until July

there

Just take warmer clothes;)

Enjoy

Lyn