Planning a European NCL Cruise on my own

Scooterpi

So I have read glowing reports of TAs who offer onboard credit and make things so, so easy. I have tried two and been burned twice. The one I am using for my cruise in a few weeks started out fine, but now seems unable to spell our names correctly or answer simple questions.

I want to plan some sort of European cruise for summer 2015. I figure I can try to see if third time is the charm with a TA or try to go it alone. I have planned basic trips in the US, know how to research, and plan our shore excursions so I feel semi-competent in travel planning.

But... Europe! I feel so lost with how to begin to make sure it all goes right. If I go with a new TA I would probably grill them first and be a big pain to make sure I wasn't getting another half assed "TA." Ugh. I've never cruised on NCL but think it will be a good fit for us and never been outside the US except in caribeean cruises. Advice? Can I do this? Should I go for a third time and just make sure to interview the heck out of them first?

I would ask my friends and family is they have any TA that they have full confidence in, but personally, I would only go in that direction if they gave me a great price and special offers of ship board credit. I think the people who are most successful with TAs are the ones who book more expensive cabins and their TAs have some wiggle room to comp. If you are a budget cruiser, a TA doesn't have much incentive to spend hours on research for you. We have never traveled higher than a balcony and we have been happiest with our own work. It is really hard to find a travel agent who really knows the cities and port areas and they can usually give you only their perspective which is probably pretty narrow and maybe dated. I am guessing even the best ones just read from the same info that is offered to us.

We have traveled in Europe three times and found that our research gave us the best experience. I arm myself with lots of advice from this site, tripadvisor and Rick Steves.

Listen to lots of people, including TAs you may interview but realize that you are ultimately in control. We were on a TA right before Hurricane Sandy hit and I can tell you that all the promises went out the window. They wouldn't do anything proactively and finally just turned us over to some guy in India who didn't even know about a hurricane coming... If I hadn't taken action, we would have missed half our days in Rome.

We just planned a month in Europe visiting 12 different countries. 6 of us total. We have 4 teenage boys. 2 weeks of that will be on the Spirit. We did it all on our own. It wasnt hard. My wife did the hotels which was the hardest because we wanted 4 or 5 star hotels and we wanted a family suite or 2 connecting rooms. I did the 5 flights, cruise, one way car rentals and the train.

We talked to 3 different TA's. we weren't happy with what they offered. They are limited on their hotels that they work with. We did a much better job on our own.

You can do it yourself. It will be better. You know exactly what you want. Expedia is your best friend. I will be glad to answer any questions you have.

We always plan our own vacations, I planned our up coming trip to Europe on my own. Its relatively easy to book your own hotels and arrange transportation to and from the airport and cruise port. All you really need to do is use all the great resources you can find online. As far as shore excursions go you can use the ports of call boards on here to find lots of great private tour companies.

We just took a med cruise and booked everything ourselves. We did 3 shore excursions through the ship in ports we had never been too, where you had to drive a long ways to get to anything worth seeing, but the others we just researched through cc ports of call sections, tripadvisor, etc. And it worked out great. I don't know what ports you are looking at, we found the mainland ports required some kind of tour or excursion because you had to drive somewhere, but most of the islands had plenty to see right off the ship, or we took ferries to nearby islands. If you look in the ports of call sections for the ports you are looking at, I don't think you'll have any problems planning things on your own.

I have never used a TA and have planned 5 international trips on my own, including my Epic cruise last year. Like someone said above, they might be able to get a Perk or two on the ship but ive always found good budget options on my own. To give you an idea of my travel style, I usually stay in boutique,private owned hotels( cheaper than chains usually) that are around 70-90 Usd per night, and they are the equivalent of a 2-3 star hotel in the US, and I've been happy with every choice that I've had.

If you are looking at just planning a cruise, definitely don't waste time with a TA. Just call NCL, plan excursions on your own,and you're good! If you want to add hotels or other parts of Europe, you can still do that on your own.

I'm happy to give you any specific advice about planning if you wish, just let me know.

Stacey

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wow thanks for the great replies guys! With each passing day I am more aggravated with the agent I am using. These replies have really made me feel like I could plan our trip and do a good, maybe even better job. I can't wait to get back from our January cruise and start planning now.

How did y'all narrow down hotels? I find with expedia and trip advisor there are just so many. Also any recommendations for good travel insurance for a Europe trip that will be booked probably a year in advance?

I use a combination of location, facilities, check-in and check-out times, budget, ratings and reviews. I book online through Booking, but first research a lot.

I narrow it down to 3-5 hotels, then look up independent reviews before making a final choice.

I love the spirit of do-it-yourself that I'm hearing from everyone. As far as hotels, I use a combination of recommendations from tripadvisor and Rich Steves. I tend to book directly through the hotel. I like being able to confirm directly with them and feel I get the best rates, although I would be just as happy to book with a site if they were significantly cheaper.

I think the worst type of box travel agency is AAA. I go there for info at times and sometimes test out the knowledge of their agents. I used to think that they knew so much more than me because they had computer access and we didn't YEARS ago, but now things have changed. I remember the last AAA agent told me that they don't sell or recommend NCL and she had NEVER taken a cruise. I think most of us could run circles around her.

I used a discount TA (I guess that's what you'd call it) and planned all my own excursions, airfare, hotels, etc for my first (and so far only) trip to Europe. It was fun and we did fine.

I also used Cruise Critic extensively for references.

We used Your Tour in Italy for most of our excursions and they were awesome!

The thing with do it yourself is: you know what you want better than anyone else does. I'd only ask a TA if I was pressed for time, or too busy. I'm sure there are some great TA's out there, but a lot of them don't know or do enough. We had a good one, unfortunately they went broke.

Even then, the people on Cruisecritic and the right guidebooks would do a better

job. This year, I told our TA about the Spanish Vat on sailings from Barcelona (see thread). You'd think they'd know and inform us before we booked...

Sent from my GT-N8000 using Tapatalk

Edited by WouterC

So I have read glowing reports of TAs who offer onboard credit and make things so, so easy. I have tried two and been burned twice. The one I am using for my cruise in a few weeks started out fine, but now seems unable to spell our names correctly or answer simple questions.

I want to plan some sort of European cruise for summer 2015. I figure I can try to see if third time is the charm with a TA or try to go it alone. I have planned basic trips in the US, know how to research, and plan our shore excursions so I feel semi-competent in travel planning.

But... Europe! I feel so lost with how to begin to make sure it all goes right. If I go with a new TA I would probably grill them first and be a big pain to make sure I wasn't getting another half assed "TA." Ugh. I've never cruised on NCL but think it will be a good fit for us and never been outside the US except in caribeean cruises. Advice? Can I do this? Should I go for a third time and just make sure to interview the heck out of them first?

Not sure what you need a ta for. You book the cruise. Done. You decide how many pre and post cruise days you want to stay in europe. I cant stress enough the longer you can stay the better. You then book the airfare. Done. You make sure to buy travel insurance within 14 days of initial deposit. Done. You go to venere.com to book your European pre and post cruise hotels and pay for them when you arrive not before. Done. You contact tour guides and drivers via good google research and book shore excursions. Done. Or you research the ships tours and reserve them. Done.

But one very important aspect here is that you research everything beforehand and make sure dates times or whatever all coordinate. You must educate yourself via Internet research and commit yourself to doing a good job.

It is somewhat time consuming but required to have a great trip

It is a big job that is quite easily done by an individual and NOT a ta. It is too big a job for the little amount of money they will make on it.

One exception might be having a good ta book your cruise. I think you are not using the right online ta that specializes in cruises. I use the big one and love them. I would never have a ta book airfare or land tours. Just too darn easy to do it yourself

I have done 2 massive European trips for my family of 6 with no problems it just takes research and dedication and the ability to think 2 steps ahead.

It also helps that I have been to Europe many times. But remember it is not Outer Mongolia and they speak English in the tourism field over there

Just remember to think outside the box. Check port times before making daily plans. Check out if the tour op wants euro or will take a card. Make sure you have a travel only checking acct with an ATM card and at least 2 travel only use credit cards and carry euro from home. Etc etc. it is stuff like that among other things that a ta can't do for you anyway.

I used to dedicate an hour a day minimum to the research and planning if these trips we took and never felt overwhelmed. It is a fun project so start you 13 pocket accordion file now and stay organized and double and triple check all your research and think of the what ifs.

It is not difficult at all and will become second nature to you

Edited by Crusin6

I'm goin to join in on the fun (I'm finding planning really is fun) and suggest a basic strategy that should work for most cruises.

Pick your destination

Pick your cruise depending on what which cities or sights you want to see. Whether that is the charming city of Barcelona, gazing at gletsjers, visiting museums and ruins, trying out local food, even the cruise ship itself can be a destination.

Choose a cruise and cabin

• Check out the cabin reviews on this website and perhaps other cruise websites (or even Youtube)
  • If you choose a balcony room, make sure the view isn't obstructed, e.g. by lifeboats just underneath

Be prepared

Do your research about the cities and the ship, so that you won't have to deal with unpleasant surprises. Or be ready to deal with them should they happen.

For example if you're hell-bent on seeing the Blue Man group, reserve them online as soon as it's possible.

Or know that you're going to pay a lot more when drinking an espresso near San Marco square in Venice instead of getting one on on a quiet square in Santa Croce.

Or know that, in Civitavecchia, you should be on the ship at 18.30. So if you taxe a (shared) taxi around 16PM, you should easily make it back since the trip takes 1h30m.

And know that, should you miss your ship in Civitavecchia, you can take the train in Roma Termini and be in Florence in 1.30 hours. While missing an evening on your ship sounds like a disaster, spending the night in Florence and being first to explore the city before the tour buses arrive, well I'd almost sign up for doing just that.

These things can help you:

• books - Rick Steves "cruise port" books are definitely recommended
  • apps - I got that info from an app called "Trains Timetable Italy"
  • maps - get them where you can: the ship, the tourist office, the bus, ...
  • a prepaid telephone card (SIM if you have a SIM-unlocked cell phone) - preferrably use cash to buy those
  • helpful people
  • a knowledge of the language (try Duolingo and maybe learn Italian before you go :) )

Arrive a day early - or more

It depends on which port you depart from. But if it's from e.g. Barcelona or Rome, you could easily spend five days in those places. You'll want at least one though. Because you'll also have to count the time for transport from the airport to the port and the time for check-in and embarkation.

Arriving a day early minimizes the risk of missing the ship, plus gives you some extra time to taste the city you're departing from.

Flights

• Pick flights that give you the most amount of time in the city
  • Use websites to compare flights (Skyscanner is my favorite, Kayak is also good)
  • Check airports in states/countries around you. Smaller airports often have cheaper rates. Plus, parking may be cheaper if you need it.
  • Keep a close eye on how the price evolves. Create a price alert if you can.

Hotels

Make sure the hotel you book is in a good location.

Find out what you want to see, then book a hotel that isn't too far off. Also make sure there's a good connection from the airport.

In Barcelona, that's probably near Plaza De Catalunya. In Venice, that's probably in Santa Croce near the Piazzale Roma (Roman Square).

Make a smart decision so that you won't have to drag your suitcases and bags over a large distances, sometimes beneath the burning sun or in narrow streets. See at what time you can check in and at what time you have to check out (e.g. can you sleep until 11.30AM when partying the night before?). If you arrive in the city before you can check into your room, see if you can leave your suitcases in the hotel.

Know where your ship is docked

The Epic in Barcelona, for example, should dock at Mol Adossat. Find out the port and docking area for each city you visit.

Know the regular prices

You can use worldtaximeter (get an estimate) or taxi-finder (get quotes in your mailbox) to find out how much a taxi should cost.

Book your transport yourself (but do use resources you trust)

The staff on the ship probably won't help you a lot. And certainly not the excursion desk. Their main interest is selling tours, not helping you.

If you really have to ask a ship employee, better to ask the "reception desk".

Advantages of booking yourself:

• you won't be charged additional booking costs
  • you can save time: making your own arrangements could easily give you 1-2 extra hours of visiting time, often for less than the cruiseline's excursion would cost
  • the cruiselines excursions can give you a good idea of all the things that you could see
  • Sometimes the cruiseline's excursion really is the best option
  • you can keep the price down by sharing a car or tour with fellow passengers. Use the Roll calls on this forum, or use dedicated websites that some of tour companies have set up exactly for this purpose

Try to compare apples to apples though:

• do you want a guide and if so, is s/he included?
  • is the entrance fee included?
  • does the tour stop in a 'cameo'/'artisan' store; depending on your own preferences, you either love or hate these stops. I generally hate those, since it makes me feel I am losing valuable time. Time I would rather spend in the destination I'm interested in.

And don't try to do too much in one day. For example if you're excited about a city, skip distractions that cost too much transport time and spend as much time in that city as you can.

Doublecheck

• Use Tripadvisor, Cruisecritic and other sites to read reviews and experiences. Don't get discouraged if there are one or two scattering reviews. Always try to get your information from at least two independent sources.

Use Kayak or Tripit to create your plan

Send your confirmation mails to Kayak (I prefer this one) or Tripit, and see your itinerary come to life before your eyes.

Have fun!

Have fun planning and most importantly: have fun on your trip.

Edited by WouterC

Wow Wow Wow, I'm so happy to have found a community that shares my affinity for travel planning! My family makes fun of me... I operate ALONE. But they are all happy with the end result. And I get to enjoy a trip for a year, not just a week or two :)

I am also planning a Europe trip next year for myself, DH, and two DS's who will be 18 and 13. DH & DS-18 start in Ireland, then meet up with myself & DS13 in London for a few days, then Civitavecchia for our Epic cruise, and then 4 days in Rome. flights are booked: almost all using points except within Europe (British Air: London to Rome is only $99.. check it out!). Working on the other details.

Not sure I have much to add to Wouter's and others excellent posts, but I'll try...

to choose hotels, I make a spreadsheet of what's important to me. Location, price, how many beds, wifi availability, 24 hour desk service, and tripadvisor ratings are probably my most important criteria but ymmv. It's amazing how clearly the leaders emerge when you do this.

Plan ahead on how you will pay for things. Get a credit card that does not charge foreign transaction fees. You can also ask to receive a text each time a card is used to watch for fraud (there may be texting fees, but think about communications). You can get a few euro ahead of time and use ATM's (again make sure your bank doesn't charge extra). Know which tour guides and hotels want to be paid in cash vs. credit card. Some tour operators and hotel /B&B owners will even allow you to book the reservation and pay when the exchange rate is optimal.

Research communication options. For a trip to Ireland last year, we ended up purchasing Irish Sim cards from a provider there and could use one iphone5 and one ipad with the internet, with or without wifi. It was invaluable. I'm still working on this for Italy/Med but the info is all out there on the internet.

Read all the fine print on your confirms. For example, for our British Air tickets, it says that we MUST present the credit card used for purchase at check in. I for one have never heard of that and would hate to have been surprised, because DH and DS are flying separately... what if they didn't have the card with them? yikes. Goes along with the "be prepared" advice!!

I create a separate file on my computer for all confirmations, a document containing notes on what I have read in books and on the internet, and a bookmark in my browser to save sites I happen across but don't have time to read fully.

I also try to kind of memorize maps of the cities, airports, and train stations I will be in. I find this makes me more comfortable in a strange place, and also helps me plan a reasonable itinerary that doesn't require backtracking.

I also enjoy reading books, and watching movies, set in the places I'm heading (i.e. Roman Holiday). For Hawaii I watched Lost and Hawaii 5-0, ha ha. just builds the anticipation.

Again, family thinks I'm nuts. But this is how I enjoy spending my downtime.

I'll subscribe to this thread to see what else you all have to say. OP, YOU CAN DO IT!

I too love reading this thread and I am a well seasoned DIY traveler.

I love teasing my family during the wonderful months of trip planning.

I say thing to them like " please don't bother me right now I have to get on the horn with the Vatican". Or. " I heard back from the colesieum and we are booked for the underground tour". Or " Paolo says he will meet us outside the apartment at noon with keys in hand, if he is late the guy at the salumeria will be able to help us" lol. or "Ahmed says he can get us into the mosque before prayer" and my all time favorite was when Francois said he would find out the exact location of the Russian cathedral in Nice and make sure that we Would be able to fit it into our tour. He told me no one ever asked to go there before ! I studied Russian history in college and through research found out about this place in Nice and wanted to take my family there. No TA would have done this for me! It is the fun and excitement of all the personal interaction with locals that makes planning so special.

Only once have we used a TA and that was this past summer and the only reason I used them was I had a large gift certificate from a well know travel agency as a service award with my job.

So instead of using my trusted PC with NCL I had to use her and what a nightmare!

Boy was I so disappointed! She basically told me to call NCL with my questions or check out their web site! Jee wiz, thanks for the help!

We have always loved doing the planning for our trips, hours on line and at book stores reading tour guides and Europe was nerve racking to plan but we did it all by ourselves with the help of CC, Trip Advisor and Rick Steve's!

We booked our own hotels, tour groups and sites on line.

And it all went smooth as glass!

We used share a shore excursion in Italy and had such a great time! All 3 groups were fun and our guides were great!

We did France on our own and the same with Barcelona, all using Rick Steve's walking tour book!

We spent 4 days before and 2 days after our cruise in Barcelona and loved every minute of it!