Coral Princess in-cabin TV hookups?

heckofagator

Yes they do. The old style tube TVs were replaced with new flat screens when we last sailed on her.

I noticed basic video, composite and HDMI inputs. That said, I did not check if they were activated nor did I check the HDMI connector style.

I mention HDMI connector style because during our recent trip on the Dawn Princess I brought a standard HDMI cable for use in displaying photos. To my surprise the TVs on the Dawn used either mini- or micro-HDMI connectors.

Hopefully someone else will chime in with the size of the HDMI connectors and activation status.

Thanks for the reply. I didn't even think that they might not be active.

There have been conflicting reports here on CC regarding whether they're active or not.

I personally have never seen inactive inputs although my experience certainly isn't comprehensive. What I have seen though is the remote control units do not have the buttons for switching the inputs. In those cases you have to use the control buttons on the sets themselves which generally is difficult as they aren't well marked and can be hard to find. It is possible though!

The flat screen tv's are ViewSonic and we have hooked up a portable DVD player on every cruise we've been on. We use the RCA (red, white, yellow connectors) instead of HDMI. Sometimes the tv is tightly mounted and we need to use a hand mirror to see where the ports are.:)

To answer your question, no one can tell you for sure if you will be able to use the inputs on the TV or not. I have used them on every cruise on Princess except my last cruise on the Coral Princess in stateroom D628. I tried to use the inputs as I had on other cruises and after the hard task of plugging in the cable on the back found that the function to switch the input had been blocked and a message to the effect stated "Blocked by Carnival Corporation" was displayed on the screen. This was not just a missing button on the remote but the function was blocked in the TV internal programming as requested by Carnival Corporation when they bought the TV's from Viewsonic. So you can never know for sure until you try it on the TV in your cabin. Might see if you can change inputs BEFORE trying to hook-up the cable to the back of the TV. Good luck!!!

I do not understand why they feel the need to block their customers from using the inputs so that photos and videos can be reviewed on the TV. Lucky for me my new Camcorder has a built-in projector so I was still able to view them on the wall.

I do not understand why they feel the need to block their customers from using the inputs so that photos and videos can be reviewed on the TV.

If passengers changed the input selection and did not change it back to the ship's input that would cause extra work for the steward or maintenance staff to reset it.

Of course if Carnival Corp had the manufacturer change the internal programming, it probably would have been just as simple to request the input always be reset to ship's input upon power up. I noticed the volume on the Dawn Princess' TVs resets to a low level on power up so it is likely possible. Such is life ...

Edited by beg3yrs

I'm guessing the 800 number isn't going to know for sure, but I guess it can't hurt.

This isn't a huge dealbreaker or anything, but we're leaving on cruise over Christmas, and we're debating having Santa come on the ship and deliver presents in the middle of the nite. If he does, that means we are carrying on the gift, which of course is the one that needs to be hooked up to the TV.

If the TV's dont work, I'd just as much prefer Santa just drop off the presents at the house and we get them when we get back. :)

Thanks!

Edited by heckofagator

• 2 months later...

Just wanted to chime back in for a followup. I realize its been a while, but the HDMI hookups worked perfectly for our 7 year olds new Wii U that Santa brought to the boat Christmas morning.

And thanks for the tip on the mirror. It was real helpful finding the open ports on the back of the TV.

Just wanted to chime back in for a followup. I realize its been a while, but the HDMI hookups worked perfectly for our 7 year olds new Wii U that Santa brought to the boat Christmas morning.

And thanks for the tip on the mirror. It was real helpful finding the open ports on the back of the TV.

Glad Santa made a visit to the Boat.