Chankanaab or Playa Mia

tommyjean

If they prefer to play in the water park and the beach, Playa Mia.

If they want to watch the dolphin show (and spend lots of your money on pictures of them with the dolphins) and maybe spend time at the beach, then Chank.

Chank has an admission fee, just over $20 per adult, but a shorter cab ride.

My guess would be Playa Mia because they have the new water park for the kids.

We have been to both of these places. You can find 2 reviews of Chankanaab and 1 review of Playa Mia listed in my signature line. There are TONS of pictures for you to view both places. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Mitsugirly, thank you for the great reviews of Chankanaab! We are sailing to Cozumel on the Carnival Paradise that leaves on January 6th and I am so excited to bring the kids here for the first snorkeling experience. Your pictures are great as well. Can I ask how you take such wonderful underwater pictures and video? Do you have an underwater bag or case that you put your camera in?

Mitsugirly, thank you for the great reviews of Chankanaab! We are sailing to Cozumel on the Carnival Paradise that leaves on January 6th and I am so excited to bring the kids here for the first snorkeling experience. Your pictures are great as well. Can I ask how you take such wonderful underwater pictures and video? Do you have an underwater bag or case that you put your camera in?

I just have a Canon D10 and an Olympus Tough camera. I love my Olympus Tough camera. They are both point and shoot.

olympus-tg-620-review.jpg

It takes amazing pictures both on land and in the water.

Mitsugirly, question for you about the Chankanaab Dolphin encounter. Do you have to arrange for your own transportation to Chankanaab?

We are cruising with NCL in November and are just starting to look at excursions.

Thanks!

Jules

You can get a cab right at the pier to Chankanaab, it is a short ride. It is one of my favorite places in Cozumel. You can snorkel, swim with dolphins and manatees or just relax on the beach. Go on your own rather than booking through the ship, it is close and all the taxi drivers know where to go. Google Chankanaab and it will show you all the park has to offer.

Mitsugirly, question for you about the Chankanaab Dolphin encounter. Do you have to arrange for your own transportation to Chankanaab?

We are cruising with NCL in November and are just starting to look at excursions.

Thanks!

Jules

Yes, you have to get your own taxi if you book on your own (still worth it). It should be about $16 for up to 4 people for the cab one way.

I also think your reviews are great, we are going on the Dream in March and I did check the Cruise TT site and we look to be lucky that most ports there are 1 maybe 2 ships in port with us. Hopefully that helps with the crowds.

I think we are going to do the Chankanaab over Playa Mia just because with our group it gives everyone more options. My sister and oldest DD can do the dolphin swim and I can take the youngest one to the beach or the encounter.

Your review did make me book Little French Key :)

• 3 weeks later...

Chankanaab and Play Mia were our top choices. And I've never been to Cozumel but I always think… what can I not do at home? We have beaches and pools and watersides at home. We do not have snorkeling at home. Chankanaab charges $21 ($19 with coupon admission) but you get free admission with a $50 sea lion discovery encounter which looks like fun. We are doing all 3 - dolphins, manatees, and sea lions at Dolphin Discovery… and hope we have an hour or 2 to snorkel. We should. I have not interest in where the best food or drinks are… there's plenty of that on the cruise boat.

Chankanaab and Play Mia were our top choices. And I've never been to Cozumel but I always think… what can I not do at home? We have beaches and pools and watersides at home. We do not have snorkeling at home. Chankanaab charges $21 ($19 with coupon admission) but you get free admission with a $50 sea lion discovery encounter which looks like fun. We are doing all 3 - dolphins, manatees, and sea lions at Dolphin Discovery… and hope we have an hour or 2 to snorkel. We should. I have not interest in where the best food or drinks are… there's plenty of that on the cruise boat.

We did all 3 in 2010. Great time!!!! You should have about an hour to snorkel. The interactions are totally worth it.

I just have a Canon D10 and an Olympus Tough camera. I love my Olympus Tough camera. They are both point and shoot.

olympus-tg-620-review.jpg

It takes amazing pictures both on land and in the water.

Just got an Olympus tough 830 for Christmas, have not tried it out yet in the water. Got it so I could get some photos snorkeling.

Are the land photos with Olympus good enough that I won't need to take an additional camera when going ashore to beach?

Just got an Olympus tough 830 for Christmas, have not tried it out yet in the water. Got it so I could get some photos snorkeling.

Are the land photos with Olympus good enough that I won't need to take an additional camera when going ashore to beach?

We had a tough and loved it, unfortunately it opened while in the water earlier this year and now won't turn on. I thought the land pictures were decent enough not to take another camera

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

Take a look at some of my reviews and see the pictures I get from mine. :) I stopped taking my DSLR with me just because of the pictures I get.

A question about Chakannab...if some of us want to just snorkel and lay around the beach and some others want to do the dolphin encounter or sea lion thing, is it all basically in the same area?

No, the dolphin swim is when you first walk in and the snorkeling is on down.

Here's a picture I made for someone else wanting to know where the lockers were in relation to the snorkeling area. You can see the swim area right in front of the lockers.

chankanaab%20park%20map-L.jpg