Poor TV Channel Selections on RCL

jcg4550

We all know that we do not go on a cruise to stay in our cabins and watch TV. We are hardly ever in the cabin during the day or evening. However, when someone is ill, then it leaves little choice.

Just off the Oasis and my poor DH had a bad couple of days and wanted to rest in bed. Alas, read a book or watch TV. Well, no ABC, NBC, CBS,FX, Fox News and the list goes on. Instead the options were RCL advertising and constant reruns of Castle on TNT. We know that RCL could add more channels to the line up and Sat signals are not a problem in the ocean. I would also like the Weather Channel available to know what I am in for getting home. I mean, I get the Weather Channel everywhere I travel. Are you listening RCL, we need more choices on the TV.

Does this bother anyone else?

It is a huge deal to my husband. We don't spend a ton of time in the room but when we are there, he wants the TV on and would like to watch TV - doesn't need excursion information and was probably already at the show they are showing and doesn't want to see it again.

Years ago there were better selections. My son and I went on a cruise for his 18th birthday. He had cruised many times before, the ship wasn't one of the large ones and there wasn't much to do as every day it was too cold and rainy to be out by the pool. Fortunately it was only a four day cruise. We spent much of the time in the cabin watching movies during the day. We still remember that vacation as relaxing and fun.

My husband would probably pick a cruise line based on TV programming if given the choice.

I can't see Royal catering to the extreme minority of people who spend all day in their cabin.

I do agree though - the selection is horrible. When we go to bed, my wife reads a book for a bit, and I either goof around on my tablet, or watch TV for a bit. Would be kinda nice to have some selection, but, like I said, don't think it will happen, since it adds cost. And, I doubt anyone has every made the decision to not cruise because of the TV channel selection.

.....you mean the constant playing of the Cruise Director's program does not interest him?.....or bingo....or excursions.......or ship direction.....or the bridge camera......so much to choose from...so little time......:cool:

Or constant rotations of the prior evening's "Love & Marriage" game show?...or advertisements for the next new RCCL ship?...LOL

You could always prepare a bit better, and bring a selection of movies or TV shows to watch with you. That way, you're not dependent on someone's else's tastes. Weather and news can be quickly downloaded for offline reading.

We all fall asleep with the TV on and it stays on all night long.

Where do you get that idea? Many people do not fall asleep to TV, we certainly don't. I'm not sure how you know what others do at bedtime?

We don't watch much TV but I agree they should have more channels. Our boys mostly just watch their iPads in bed at night (stuff they downloaded before trip.)

Where do you get that idea? Many people do not fall asleep to TV, we certainly don't. I'm not sure how you know what others do at bedtime?

I don't think she was trying to say what anyone else does, just stating what they do.

I would agree that the selection isn't very good. Fortunately during our recent cruise, they had feeds of a number of football games, including the Thanksgiving Day/Night games, so there always seemed to be football on TV. :cool:

While this is a good place to bring it up and organize people- the best of the best place to put is the post cruise survey. As often as possible.

I'm not so sure about how good a satillite signal they can get- pretty often a channel is not there and it's called a satillite issue.

Still, probably 10-12 of all the channels come from someplace other than the ship (the rest can be sent via the RCTV area, since they are looping movies and shows). Couldn't be impossible to up that a little.

Seriously though, when hubby and I were on Oasis last year, we watched some HILARIOUS reruns of the old Lucy Show. Guess you'd have to be in my age group to appreciate that!;)[/quote

I think that show has no age group. My son was born in 1989 and when he was about 5 or 6 he watched the episode of Lucy & Ethel working on the candy line. He fell of his chair he was laughing so hard.

Craig

Seriously though, when hubby and I were on Oasis last year, we watched some HILARIOUS reruns of the old Lucy Show. Guess you'd have to be in my age group to appreciate that!;)[/quote

I think that show has no age group. My son was born in 1989 and when he was about 5 or 6 he watched the episode of Lucy & Ethel working on the candy line. He fell of his chair he was laughing so hard.

Craig

OMGoodness, that candy factory episode HAS to be one of the best I Love Lucy episodes EVER! That is the kind of television that I would give up a couple of my cruise hours to watch in a heartbeat.

I agree the channel selection is poor. We just returned from the Navigator of the Seas. The most frustrating is to get involved in a show, only to have "poor signal" pop up on the TV, and no show. I also would like "on demand" shows like cable TV does, with the feed being directly from the ship rather than from satellite -- that would eliminate "poor signal", plus we could start the show when we wanted.

The TV stations are Horrible and have gotten much worse in recent years.

They use to have some variety with Movies, News, Sports, Cartoons, and a few other known channels.

Now it is basically crap.

There is now only 1 movie channel. They used to have several, with staggered starting times throught the day & night.

1 CNN International (crap)

Cartoon Network was not even the real Cartoon Network. They ran the same 3 cartoons over & over the entire week.

The had 3 channels that played the same episodes of "The Office" , "Big Bang Theory" and the movie "Guilt Trip" All in foreign languages 24/7.

2 unheard of music video channels playing the same stuff over & over.

Then the 15 Royal Caribbean channels & commercials.

Its like the entire TV is just running the same loop every day.

And to top it off, the signal was garbage....

Edited by matj2000

I don't think she was trying to say what anyone else does, just stating what they do.

DrD-soccerdad is right. I meant we, as my family all fall asleep to the TV on and it stays on all night. Terrible habit but actually-we wake up if it goes off!!:(

Trust me, I know how bad the TV is on Royal.:eek:

DrD-soccerdad is right. I meant we, as my family all fall asleep to the TV on and it stays on all night. Terrible habit but actually-we wake up if it goes off!!:(

Trust me, I know how bad the TV is on Royal.:eek:

Ok sorry. That makes a lot more sense.

We were just commenting last week how much we miss Eye on Royal Caribbean.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

I loved "Eye on Royal". It got me interested in a few shows that I would not have ever watched otherwise but now follow pretty regularly.

The free movies have gotten pretty lame too. They want you to go pay per view.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, please excuse all the typos.

I agree the channel selection is poor. We just returned from the Navigator of the Seas. The most frustrating is to get involved in a show, only to have "poor signal" pop up on the TV, and no show. I also would like "on demand" shows like cable TV does, with the feed being directly from the ship rather than from satellite -- that would eliminate "poor signal", plus we could start the show when we wanted.

We also agree on the channel selections, very poor.

The "poor signal" thing really aggravated my DH.

Carnival tv, much better.

Edited by WetToes

The TV selection is just plain BAD, and I let them know about on the survey card at the end of the cruise. Not that they will do much about it. This year was the first time where channel selection was poor. Does this go along with no candy on the pillow etc,etc etc.