Can you take a Guitar on Board

Pattis_61

I'll sum this up. No rules against taking a guitar on the ship. So my husband will take his acoustic and will play quietly on his balcony. We will ask our adjoining neighbors if it bothers them. If it does, we will stop. We cruise a lot and I understand that it is EVERYONE"S vacation - but it is also OUR vacation that I am paying just as much as other people. So I will be courteous and considerate, but I will enjoy MY vacation also. And if playing a guitar quietly will ruin someone's vacation, then I feel sorry for them. It would be no more intrusive than having people outside on their balcony's talking.

That's a perfect way to sum it up, in my opinion.

I have often complained to guest services and put it on my comment cards countless times about the noise while I am on my balcony. I've asked that those musicians on deck be banned. For the love of it all, please stop with the game playing and belly flop contests-I can not hear a darn thing going on in the ocean because of this racket and cheering. Oh-and lets not even get into the sail away party. I've paid good money to sit with my honey bunch in peace a quiet to watch our departure port dwindle away in size and begin my journey onward and forward!!

[insert sarcasm]

Come on folks-lighten up.;)

While you are at it, could you see if you can get anything done about the captain blowing the damn horn?:mad:

Actually, I just wish they would blow it more!:)

Edited by Ocean Boy

WOW

I hope James Taylor isn't on our Jan 3 Legend cruise.

Having that noise would completely ruin the CruiseI PAID FOR!!!!!!!!!

"The Blues Make Me SAD"

I would hang over my balcony and yell HEY JT .....KNOCK IT OFF , I AM TRYING TO LISTEN TO THE OCEAN....IF YOU MAKE ME COME DOWN THERE YOULL REALLY BE SEEING FIRE AND RAIN......*LOL*

Has anyone ever taken a guitar on a Royal Caribbean Ship? I have tried to get information from RCCL to see if it is allowed, and they say that it is not on the 'banned item list', but they are not sure if it is allowed.

I always bring one with me. It is a back packers so it fits in the overhead plane carry on.;)

The above quote is by far my favorite post to date. Brilliant!

On the subject of playing your guitar on board, just sing "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" over and over and over again. Four chords and six-and-a-half minutes long. Repeat as needed. By then people will be shouting requests from their balconies, like the theme from the Titanic, or maybe "The Morning After" from the Poseidon Adventure.

Or "sounds of silence".:):) lol

Edited by Folk Singer

People have been so jaded by rude cruisers it is assumed that everyone is that way. What about this person has made some people here think that they lack common sense and will be jamming out disturbing people 24hrs a day? Based on what was posted I have no reason to think they wouldn't respect others "ocean sounds" or "nap time". Bring it with, enjoy it, and find others that may enjoy it with you. Maybe it will make someones trip more enjoyable and not just yours. Most aren't as jaded as a few on this site happen to be.

Glad you decided to ignore the nit-pickers... Bring your guitar and enjoy your cruise. I find autograph seekers to also be quite rude at times, be careful not to be recognized or you may end up working on your vacation...... never had a complaint while playing on my balcony... a few requests, but never a complaint.

Ignore those naysayers, I always do. I have brought my trumpet on several cruises and I enjoy playing it on our balcony where the music is cascaded into the sea and melts into the sounds of the ocean it is really wonderful. My first instrument I carried on was a small baby grand. I had it delivered from a local music shop in the Ft. Lauderdale area on our sail away day. I don't remember what the rental fee and delivery was but if anyone is interested I can dig it out of my records. The good thing about this is it was in perfect tune. It was on our second Enchantment cruise and while it was a problem when we disembarked I would not hesitate to do it again. The loadmaster required it be kept on the rear of the ship in the open area adjacent to the windjammer. I played ole rag time music every morning during breakfast and the other passengers seemed for the most part to love it. Late every night I would sit and play all alone and I always ended with the theme to the Titanic and I never once had dry eyes as I stood up from the piano and walked stoically back to my stateroom. I was always wishing that I had a large audience to play for but it was usually just me all alone. A couple of times a small Filipino man (rccl crew) with dark hair would just look at me and slowly nod as if to say well done my friend. We were able to communicate without saying a word, a truly amazing thing! I have found that people in general love to see live music and real people making a heart felt effort in trying to play an instrument. I have noticed in the subways in NYC many quality musicians entertain the masses as they hurry off to work or on their return. By all means encourage your husband to take along his guitar and my advice is to sit in the centrum late in the afternoon and just play and love every minute of the freedom that comes with this. The pool band only plays for a short set or two in the afternoon and that might be a good time for him to take the opportunity to pull up a chair and play for the pool crowd. I have seen many passengers do this and the old folk songs (Peter Paul and Mary) are super popular. I have seen the crowds gather and morph into a surreal sing along that would rival anything you have seen or imagined. If he has a pickup up on his acoustic make sure he takes an amp that would be supa for real. Who knows maybe by the end of the week he might be invited to play a couple of songs on the stage in the main show room where he can have a moment that would be remembered for ever. Please take some videos of all his guitar playing so we all can enjoy! Go for it, have a great cruise! Heck I wish I was going with you and I could bring my trumpet and we could play together. Luv.

Edited by leerobbs

ignore those naysayers, i always do. I have brought my trumpet on several cruises and i enjoy playing it on our balcony where the music is cascaded into the sea and melts into the sounds of the ocean it is really wonderful. My first instrument i carried on was a small baby grand. I had it delivered from a local music shop in the ft. Lauderdale area on our sail away day. I don't remember what the rental fee and delivery was but if anyone is interested i can dig it out of my records. The good thing about this is it was in perfect tune. It was on our second enchantment cruise and while it was a problem when we disembarked i would not hesitate to do it again. The loadmaster required it be kept on the rear of the ship in the open area adjacent to the windjammer. I played ole rag time music every morning during breakfast and the other passengers seemed for the most part to love it. Late every night i would sit and play all alone and i always ended with the theme to the titanic and i never once had dry eyes as i stood up from the piano and walked stoically back to my stateroom. I was always wishing that i had a large audience to play for but it was usually just me all alone. A couple of times a small filipino man (rccl crew) with dark hair would just look at me and slowly nod as if to say well done my friend. We were able to communicate without saying a word, a truly amazing thing! I have found that people in general love to see live music and real people making a heart felt effort in trying to play an instrument. I have noticed in the subways in nyc many quality musicians entertain the masses as they hurry off to work or on their return. By all means encourage your husband to take along his guitar and my advice is to sit in the centrum late in the after noon and just play and love every minute of the freedom that comes with this. The pool band only plays for a short set or two in the afternoon and that might be a good time for him to take the opportunity to pull up a chair and play for the pool crowd. I have seen many passengers do this and the old folk songs (peter paul and mary) are super popular. I have seen the crowds gather and morph into a surreal sing along that would rival anything you have seen or imagined. If he has a pickup up on his acoustic make sure he takes an amp that would be supa for real. Who knows maybe by the end of the week he might be invited to play a couple of songs on the stage in the main show room where he can have a moment that would be remembered for ever. Please take some videos of all his guitar playing so we all can enjoy! Go for it, have a great cruise! Heck i wish i was going with you and i could bring my trumpet and we could play together. Luv.

Too funny :)

Edited by bouhunter

My son wants to bring his viola on our upcoming 7-day cruise to practice (he's determined to get good ranking on an upcoming competition). He'll play in his room, inside, doors closed, during the day of couse, for maybe 30 mins each time. Is the cabin sound proof enough so that he doesn't bother other passengers?

_DSC0410.jpg

On the Explorer, one day at the pool this lad came out and played his bagpipes, and lemmmeeee tell yoooooo, he was unbelievably good.

The crowd and the band tried to get him up on the pool stage, but that was a bit too much for him, but everyone had a blast listening to him go at it.

Edited by LA_CA_GAL

One of my most beautiful memories of our many cruises - I had a strong desire to hear Moonlight Sonata while on the ocean looking at the stars. Last cruise it came true. Beautiful starry night, my husband and me on our balcony with the i-pod playing. You could still hear the ocean and the stars were beautiful. As much as I love listening to that song it has never sounded as beautiful as it did that night. I will never forget it. Enjoy your guitar and play one for me!

My son wants to bring his viola on our upcoming 7-day cruise to practice (he's determined to get good ranking on an upcoming competition). He'll play in his room, inside, doors closed, during the day of couse, for maybe 30 mins each time. Is the cabin sound proof enough so that he doesn't bother other passengers?

Bring the viola. But bring a mute just in case it bothers the neighbors;)

As long as your son isn't playing early in the morning or late at night, and he's playing with the cabin & balcony doors closed, you'll be fine. The rooms aren't soundproof by any means, but if your son is auditioning for a competition (regionals? all-states) then I'd be willing to bet he's good enough that practicing in your own room shouldn't bother neighbors. 7 days is a long time to go without practicing.

In the past, my older daughter has brought her violin and practiced in our cabin. She'll be bringing it again on our 9 day April cruise. I can't say I agree with playing an instrument on the balcony though as that would affect many, many cabins.