Oasis OV or Freedom B2B?

lv2bcruzin

I am trying to make a couple of decisions for our next cruise and hopefully you guys and gals can lend a helping hand.

We really want to do an extended cruise next time (at least 12nt+) and the two options I have on the table right now are a 12nt Ocean Voyage on the Oasis or a 7nt Western and & 7nt Eastern Caribbean back-to-back on the Freedom in September 2014.

Two completely different types of cruises I know. I've always wanted to do a TA cruise and this only has one stop and that is Malaga, Spain. It starts in Ft. Lauderdale and ends in Barcelona, Spain. I have done a Med. cruise and loved it, so it is too bad there's not a couple more nights with some additional ports, but not too big of a deal.

The back-to-back has a few islands we haven't been to and the idea of doing a B2B sounds like a good time. Especially since some of our CC friends on our last cruise are still on this week doing a B2B. Yes.... There is definitely cruise envy right now on my part. :p

I have been researching the two ships as we haven't been on either and currently have #1402 on the Freedom held for both weeks and #10198 held on the Oasis.

One thing I've been reading on the Oasis is that the D category cabins are smaller in all areas including main area, storage and bathroom. So, I was wondering is it just small in comparison to other ships, but still worth it, or so small for the price it's not worth it. I really would rather have a balcony than inside stateroom for a TA. Perhaps a D8 instead of a D1 would help make it less costly and more worth it?

The cost for the TA is almost identical to the B2B. So, that isn't too much of a factor at this point. Granted that could change down the road.

Any help would be much appreciated. Such difficult decisions I know. :rolleyes:

Wow, though decision, what about the airfare? because a one way ticket from Barcelona will definetly cost mroe than a round trip from to - FLL? I dont knw where Freedom departs from.

If that is not a problem, go for Oasis. I dont think that oasis will do a lot of crossings. Plus you can always do the caribbean routes, if not on a B2B, one week and maybe later another route in another time.

Pick Oasis and if you are missing ports / islands, there is PLENTY to do. Barcelona is a detination on its own, Ibiza, Mallorca, Menorca, you can even go to Morocco on a ferry. I tell you this because I am doing a transatlantic - westbound for me- so we fly down to Spain and there is just SO MUCH to see that I am dying just to think about it. The caribbean is only a domestic flight away that you can do any other time. TA crossings not so much

When I first opened the thread I thought you were reffering to Oasis OV - Ocean view ha. I was like really, an ocean view versus a B2B? LOL

Edited by voyager89

It's a tough decision because I'd normally opt for the longer cruise (B2B Freedom), but Oasis is a very special ship, and it's tough to say no to Oasis. Being that it's a TA, you will have lots of time to explore the ship.

However, I agree with what others have said about the D balcony staterooms on Oasis. In my opinion, they are a step backward from those on Voyager/Freedom/Radiance. Several things annoy me about those staterooms, such as the sliding closet doors, location of the safe in the closet, lack of storage drawers at the vanity area, no drawers in the nightstands. If you said that you were considering a JS on Oasis, then I would not hesitate to pick Oasis, but I don't think I would want to be annoyed by my stateroom for 12 nights.

Is Oasis OV the same price as Freedom B2B? If so I would do Freedom B2B just because it offers more time. Oasis is awesome (I've been on both Freedom and Oasis) but more time = better vacation for me. Freedom is still an excellent ship, especially if you haven't been on her or the Freedom Class of ships before.

One thing to remember with a B2B is that everything repeats on the second week of that trip.

The menu, the shows, the movies they show at the pool, even the "waiters shows and songs in the MDR"... EVERYTHING

The eastern/western itinerary is available all the time.

Those islands are always so popular and you will go to them time and time again if you keep sailing the Caribbean...

I have done a B2B on Oasis, and have done the one week on Freedom.

Oasis is the ship to do a B2B on, it is busy and you can fill the two weeks doing different things and make it a new cruise the second week around.

Freedom is lovely, but two weeks on her would be a steady repeat of week one.

Just my thoughts.

You will enjoy whatever you choose.

I am sure of it

Chass

Is Oasis OV the same price as Freedom B2B? If so I would do Freedom B2B just because it offers more time. Oasis is awesome (I've been on both Freedom and Oasis) but more time = better vacation for me. Freedom is still an excellent ship, especially if you haven't been on her or the Freedom Class of ships before.

They are within $200 of each other with the Freedom being cheaper. So, that is not an issue.

I would go with the Oasis. You can grab a B2B eastern/western anytime, the Oasis only goes to drydock every five years. It is a unique itinerary for a unique ship. I would be on that sailing myself if my DH was able to take that much time off at one time.

I was thinking that too. Really, my main concern is cost of a D category with what I've seen is not on par with the smaller ships (i.e. Freedom). And, I really want a balcony for that type of cruise. The JS isn't advertised. I would have to call for that price. Not sure why it's not advertised.

One thing to remember with a B2B is that everything repeats on the second week of that trip.

The menu, the shows, the movies they show at the pool, even the "waiters shows and songs in the MDR"... EVERYTHING

The eastern/western itinerary is available all the time.

Those islands are always so popular and you will go to them time and time again if you keep sailing the Caribbean...

I have done a B2B on Oasis, and have done the one week on Freedom.

Oasis is the ship to do a B2B on, it is busy and you can fill the two weeks doing different things and make it a new cruise the second week around.

Freedom is lovely, but two weeks on her would be a steady repeat of week one.

Just my thoughts.

You will enjoy whatever you choose.

I am sure of it

Chass

The itineray is completely different on the B2B, so that would be good. Not too worried about the shows (don't really go to them) as in my 9 cruises I've been to maybe 5 shows total and only 2 I could make it through entirely, so that is not an issue. All the other similarities are not an issue either. The main thing I wanted was the different itinerary. All the rest can be the same and it's really no big deal.

In addition, this will be the wife's second cruise and I'm not sure a TA with only stop is something she is ready for just yet. She REALLY enjoys the sun and beaches on the islands. That being said, I agree with everyone who mentions the type of opportunity a TA on the Oasis is. Hence, the problem with making a decision.

At this point, I am leaning towards the B2B mainly for the wife's sake, but still not sure. :cool:

Edited by lv2bcruzin

So, the decision has been made to do the B2B on the Freedom. Can't wait! Have wanted to do that class since it came out (granted the same can be said for Oasis :p ), just haven't had the chance. I have been on all four Radiance class ships as so far that's my favorite class. Went on the Explorer in 2004, so it's been awhile since I've been on something larger than 90,000 tons. :p

If anyone has any insight into Freedom or specifically cabin #1402 it would be greatly appreciated. I will obviously do my own research as well on CC and abroad. :)

Edited by lv2bcruzin

I would lean towards Freedom. We boarded Oasis this morning. The ship is incredible. However, the Freedom feels more like a ship. Oasis feels like a huge resort. The dining options and neighborhoods are awesome on Oasis, but the ship is enormous (in good ways and not so good ways). Freedom just feels more personal and "cruise-like" to me.

We are loving Oasis, though!