Kiel to Hamburg

Big Al B.

We will be in Kiel from 8-5 in May and would like to go into Hamburg to visit the Miniature World display. It doesn't look like HAL offers a just transportation to Hamburg excursion. What would be the best way to do this? Is it feasible in the time we have available? Thanks.

We will be in Kiel from 8-5 in May and would like to go into Hamburg to visit the Miniature World display. It doesn't look like HAL offers a just transportation to Hamburg excursion. What would be the best way to do this? Is it feasible in the time we have available? Thanks.

Hi,

There is a good, direct, hourly train service in both directions departing Kiel at 21mins past the hour and Hamburg Hbf at 20mins past the hour. The trip takes approx. 1hr 15 mins.

There is also a train,with one change in Neumunster, departing Kiel at 55mins past the hour and Hamburg Hbf at 43mins past the hour.

As to feasibility - you would have to be pretty slick to catch the 8:21 so working on the 9:21 you would arrive Hamburg at 10:36. Using the u-bahn you should be able to get to Miniature Wonderland by 11:00. Assuming that on-board time is 16:30 you would need to catch the 14:20 back from Hamburg giving you just about three hours there. Alternatively if you caught the 8:55, changing in Neumunster, you would have an extra half hour in Hamburg.

Hope this helps with your plans.

Happy cruising :)

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Edited by rostocker

• 2 years later...

Big Al (or anyone else....)

I too want to go to Miniature World in Hamburg from Kiel. I also will be on a HAL ship in June. HAL is offering bus service r/t for $99. This is an 8 hour excursion. Each way is 1.5 hours so that would be 5 hours in Hamburg. To me this seems like a lot of money but then again it will be easy to get to/back from Hamburg to the ship.

I am wondering how you finally did get to Hamburg from Kiel. Thank you!

• 1 month later...
Big Al (or anyone else....)

I too want to go to Miniature World in Hamburg from Kiel. I also will be on a HAL ship in June. HAL is offering bus service r/t for $99. This is an 8 hour excursion. Each way is 1.5 hours so that would be 5 hours in Hamburg. To me this seems like a lot of money but then again it will be easy to get to/back from Hamburg to the ship.

Yes, it costs more than the train (at least 30EUR for a return ticket), but, compared to train service, the bus tour option may guarantee your return to the ship in Kiel - on time!

Yes, it costs more than the train (at least 30EUR for a return ticket), but, compared to train service, the bus tour option may guarantee your return to the ship in Kiel - on time!

This is my concern....getting back to the ship on time. I just booked the bus yesterday. Yes, it will be more expensive but I have been on this kind of bus transportation before on cruises and the commentary is usually interesting and the host very helpful. And yes, it is worth the peace of mind that the ship can't leave if the bus is late.