Recommendation on HAL excursion in Falkland Islands

BlackJack2

I did the Rockhopper tour. It is VERY cold and windy with the only shelter a small cabin serving hot drinks and selling postcards. The penguins are adorable and I enjoyed this excursion tremendously because of the opportunity to meet the local people. The tour operator rounds up every available person in town with a vehicle to transport people. You go over hill and dale to reach the cliffs. BTW- don't go on shore without a toothbrush and any important medications. We nearly got stranded and almost had to spend the night in a church. It was a great adventure and this is NOT a typical cookie cutter tour. Be sure to have a pint in the local pub before returning to the ship. Fun fun fun!

we did it on our own. You will tender into Port Stanley, there was a man with a van that would ferry you to the penguin Colony, drop you off and go back for more passengers. so you could stay as long as you liked, this was a colony about five miles outside of Port Stanley. We are walkers so we walked out and the man only charged us half price to drive us back. It was either $ 20 or $30 dollars US round trip. We asked him to drop us off at a pub on the way back. had a pint then walked around town, visited a small Anglican cathedral and talked with the minister! we also talked with the warden at the Penguin Colony. People were real friendly. I think they are more British than some Villages in England. we thoroughly enjoyed our day.

Just want to warn you - stopping at the Falklands is dicey - it might not happen - we had the first tour booked - but we never go there so I can't report. The waters can be tough and if it's questionable there will be no Falklands. Not trying to be a downer - I just don't want you to get your hopes up too far - in case

The rockhoppers for sure! The day we were there it was -1 C (and this is their summer), it was windy & it was cold - but they are soooo cute! I stayed outside the entire time & then went into the little cabin to warm up with a hot chocolate, but I had let it so long I had to drink fast!

Iwant2batc described the trip very well, it really was awesome & you will have plenty of time in the 4 x 4 as you bump over the landscape to talk about life on the islands with the driver. This shore excursion was one of the most memorable I have been on.

And, yes, I agree a pub visit for lunch is a must after!

Make sure you have a hat, scarf & gloves for this tour.

If you can afford to spend the money, I would go to Volunteer Point. There are over 500 Nesting Pairs of King Penguins which are even prettier than the Emperor Penguins. Also large colony of Gentoo and Magellanic Penguins. It is a two hour ride in landrover which I thoroughly enjoyed. Only two couples per landrover. You travel on paved, gravel roads and across country, up hills, through bogs and across a sand spit. Literally an adventure getting there. You have two hours with the penguins which was fantastic. And your driver has fantastic stories to tell of the Falklands War.

We are doing South America again. Unfortunately, we aren't scheduled for the Falklands. But if we were, I would definitely go to Volunteer Point.

Just want to warn you - stopping at the Falklands is dicey - it might not happen - we had the first tour booked - but we never go there so I can't report. The waters can be tough and if it's questionable there will be no Falklands. Not trying to be a downer - I just don't want you to get your hopes up too far - in case

How true, I think it's something like a 50% sucess rate.

If you can afford to spend the money, I would go to Volunteer Point. There are over 500 Nesting Pairs of King Penguins which are even prettier than the Emperor Penguins. Also large colony of Gentoo and Magellanic Penguins. It is a two hour ride in landrover which I thoroughly enjoyed. Only two couples per landrover. You travel on paved, gravel roads and across country, up hills, through bogs and across a sand spit. Literally an adventure getting there. You have two hours with the penguins which was fantastic. And your driver has fantastic stories to tell of the Falklands War.

We are doing South America again. Unfortunately, we aren't scheduled for the Falklands. But if we were, I would definitely go to Volunteer Point.

That is what we are doing on our upcoming Infinity cruise....assuming we dock there :D