Hotel in San Diego Near Pier?

Marshmelo

Does anyone know of a good, cheap hotel to stay the night before a cruise in San Diego? I'm looking for something close to the pier and near some sort of public transportation (trolley maybe), so we could see the city.

Does anyone know of a good, cheap hotel to stay the night before a cruise in San Diego? I'm looking for something close to the pier and near some sort of public transportation (trolley maybe), so we could see the city.

Holiday Inn is directly across street. It reasonable. You can walk to ship (about 150 yds)and see it sail in if you are facing the water. You are downtown. Do not think there is a trolley ... we just walked

Stayed at Hampton Inn Downtown, at 1531 Pacific Hwy www.sandiegohamptoninn.com . It is about three blocks from water and about seven blocks north of cruise terminal. Trolley stop directly behind it and Avis Car Rental across from that. It's very clean and has laundry facilities for guest use. Free breakfast includes hot items. Free shuttle to/from airport and to cruise terminal in van. Attached parking garage which costs $5 per day (I think).

It is Holiday Inn on the Bay.....NOT Holiday Inn Bayside......that is totally different - and you have to be careful at the a/p b/c they had us on the wrong free shuttle. I found out about it on this site and it was reasonable.....directly across the street from the pier.....you literally just walk across the street. Great restaurants around there.......Anthony's Fish Grotto, Ruths Crist Steakhouse, and there is a nice pub in the hotel and also a nice little deli/breakfast/area. Rooms were nice and clean.......we would stay there again if we ever left out of SD!!! Have fun on your cruise!!!!

Quite a few of us on our October cruise out of San Diego are staying at the Holiday Inn on the Bay. I booked a room through Priceline at half the published website price (bidding three stars, "downtown area" only, I believe this is the only one it can pick).

Doree, glad you liked it there. It certainly seems a good spot to be and I intend taking the trolley bus to see a bit of a city I have never been to before.

Phil

We have also stayed at the Hampton Inn, 2 times, and love it. The only down side to this hotel, is if you get a room in the back (E side of the building), it's close to the railroad track and you start hearing the commuter trains early in the morning, or until late a night. We'll certainly return to this location the next time we sail from there. It's really only about 2 blocks N. of the cruise terminal and 2 blocks E. We walked back and forth from the area of the cruise terminal to the Hampton very easily. Anthony's Seafood Grotto was great, and the prices were reasonable in the main restaurant. The Hampton cost less than the Holiday Inn, however the Holiday Inn is very nice and so very close too.

Ken

Archived