where to go after cruise at Fort Lauderdale

vibration

Cruise will arrive at 8am, our flight is around 7pm. Where should we go? I planned to go to sawgrass, but renting cost for rent a car is around 200, that's too much. I dont know how much to call a cab from Everglade to sawgrass, and from sawgrass to airport, and how to deal the luggages. Anybody can help? Thanks.

Cruise will arrive at 8am, our flight is around 7pm. Where should we go? I planned to go to sawgrass, but renting cost for rent a car is around 200, that's too much. I dont know how much to call a cab from Everglade to sawgrass, and from sawgrass to airport, and how to deal the luggages. Anybody can help? Thanks.

Cab fare will be around $75 each way. I'm having a hard time believing a rental is as high as you say unless you're renting a SUV or Premium car.

If you haven't been in the area, I certainly wouldn't spend hours and hours at a mall. :confused: Recheck the car rentals and see the area. You have enough time to head to Miami Beach, Hollywood..lots of spots. And you'll have a place to store your luggage!

Edited by eandj

They have bags to go at Sawgrass Mills. You could take a cab out there and back but it will be expensive, and you'll have nothing to do with your purchases and Sawgrass is exhausting.

The Galleria Mall would be an option but you are still lugging around your luggage.

What cruise line? It might not matter anyhow as most lines offer similar excursions: we had the same lat flight situation a few years back and booked a Fort Lauderdale tour through the cruise line. It was part bus, part boat tour (saw manatees and most FL highlights), and our luggage was held for us. Something like that would give you a chance to see the area.

From a local's perspective, if you can either arrange a post-cruise tour thru the cruise line, or rent a car, I'd enthusiastically recommend an airboat ride - it's quintisentially Florida, you'll be virtually guaranteed to see alligators and other fascinating critters.

$200/day for a rental car? That's insane; you should be able to get a car for a quarter of that.

I just checked Hotwire and you can rent a car for 1 day anywhere from $14.95 for compact to immed. suv $21.95 or try Priceline. The tour of the Everglades is fabulous I took my 21 y.o. son and we both loved it. Saw loads of Gators, Vultures, many types of birds and various other animals native to the Glades!!! :)

AlanFromFL, would you have any recommendations on where to go and which company to use for air boat rides? We will have a couple of turn around days in Ft Lauderdale and that really does sound like fun!

JeepLady, which Everglades tour did you do?

Thanks!

You know that's a good question!!!:confused: I googled Airboat rides or the Everglades 1 popped up that even had a coupon which I thought was

great. So my son and I headed west to the Glades got lost of course!!;) We didn't find the 1 I found on Google but we found another 1 that was really nice. Look for 1 that has the covered airboats because it could get very hot with the Sun beating down on you. Also eat before you go there aren't any restaurants around maybe little general store type place for snacks. Sun Screen too!!!:)

AlanFromFL, would you have any recommendations on where to go and which company to use for air boat rides? We will have a couple of turn around days in Ft Lauderdale and that really does sound like fun!

JeepLady, which Everglades tour did you do?

Thanks!

Celebrity's excursion to the Everglades went to Gator Park, and we did the airboat there. It was a lot of fun. And you can hold a little alligator!

http://gatorpark.reachlocal.com/?scid=1548705&kw=10237094:14132&pub_cr_id=4195960424

We're headed out there in a week and a half for the Allure of the Seas and also have a 7:00 pm flight out on disembarkation day...

We considered the ship's excursions, but they all get you back to the ship with time to spare for a 2:30 pm flight, so it doesn't really kill the day...

The mall is a ridiculous answer since 1) We have malls just as nice back home...and I don't really like to go to those either...2) Whatever we buy would just have to be added to the luggage...and there are luggage restrictions and added fees for excess luggage...and 3) On Sundays, the mall doesn't open until 11:00 am anyway...

So, we finally decided to rent a car...Went through Travel0city and booked with Thrifty...pick up at the pier, return at FLL, compact car, $38.97 including taxes...

So, now we're looking at this same problem, but--with a rental car, how to kill about 8 hours (figuring off the ship around 9:00 am, getting to FLL by 5:00 for the 6:55 pm flight)...

We've done the alligator airboat thing before--but it's been a few years...but I'll run that one by my wife...

But where else? Certainly that airboat thing won't kill all the time we have...

Edited by Bruin Steve

We're headed out there in a week and a half for the Allure of the Seas and also have a 7:00 pm flight out on disembarkation day...

So, we finally decided to rent a car...Went through Travel0city and booked with Thrifty...pick up at the pier, return at FLL, compact car, $38.97 including taxes...

We've done the alligator airboat thing before--but it's been a few years...but I'll run that one by my wife...

But where else? Certainly that airboat thing won't kill all the time we have...

Check out the Fort Lauderdale tourism website for local attractions: http://www.sunny.org.