Venice hotels and transfers

TSJE4

Hi . Can anybody tell me how much transfers to the Spirit from a hotel is . I booked through a travel agency and apparently once you do that, NCL directly do not want anything to do with you ( From Australia any way ) Rang NCL and they said they could not give me any information as its against their policy ??? . My travel agent said the wholesaler cost was $ 500 plus per person including transfers and there are 4 of us . 2000 bucks for two nights seems a tad steep . I know venice is expensive but WOW . Looking at maybe booking hotel ourselves and getting transfers through NCL to make things easier if possible

Also those who have previously done this cruise do you have any tips where to stay that is close to the ship . Thanks guys

Venice is an unusual place in the means of transportation and it can get really expensive if you want it to be easy (water taxi from airport to hotel and from hotel to the port area). Most hotels are accessible only by water and after that, usually a lot of walking through a maze of narrow alleys. Available water transports are Vaporettos (local equivalent to a city bus) than run through large canals or water taxis that can get really expensive (easily 50-100 euros per trip) but can usually take you closer to where you're going through smaller canals.

I'd recommend booking direct and staying at Hotel Olimpia right by Piazzale Roma (no water transport required, just 5 minute walk and one bridge to cross from airport bus) and when going to the cruise terminal, either taking the people mover from across Piazzale Roma (1 euro pp, but there is about a half mile walk in port area from people mover to terminal) or a taxi from Piazzale Roma directly to terminal door (fixed fee 20e per taxi, four ppl with large pieces of luggage would probably need two taxis).

We did Hotel Olimpia plus taxi each way to and from cruise terminal this July and with high temperatures, thought that the 20e each way for the taxi (even with very short ride) were the best euros we spent in Venice. I actually felt bad for the people that were dragging their luggage from people mover to terminal in the sun.

Edited by Demonyte

Am flying into Venice and then getting on the Spirit next May. Is it chancy to fly in the same day as embarkation? The ship pulls out at 1 AM, so it sounds like we have until 11PM to get on the ship. I am allowing NCL to book my flight from Newark and get me to the ship, so I should be able to avoid coming in a day early and hanging out in Venice. Any information would be appreciated.

Am flying into Venice and then getting on the Spirit next May. Is it chancy to fly in the same day as embarkation? The ship pulls out at 1 AM, so it sounds like we have until 11PM to get on the ship. I am allowing NCL to book my flight from Newark and get me to the ship, so I should be able to avoid coming in a day early and hanging out in Venice. Any information would be appreciated.

Are we on the same cruise ? We sail out on the 30 th may :-) From previous experience booking flights through another cruise company it was their responsibility to get you on the ship on time if the flights were booked through them . Is that the same with NCL I wonder .

Venice is an unusual place in the means of transportation and it can get really expensive if you want it to be easy (water taxi from airport to hotel and from hotel to the port area). Most hotels are accessible only by water and after that, usually a lot of walking through a maze of narrow alleys. Available water transports are Vaporettos (local equivalent to a city bus) than run through large canals or water taxis that can get really expensive (easily 50-100 euros per trip) but can usually take you closer to where you're going through smaller canals.

I'd recommend booking direct and staying at Hotel Olimpia right by Piazzale Roma (no water transport required, just 5 minute walk and one bridge to cross from airport bus) and when going to the cruise terminal, either taking the people mover from across Piazzale Roma (1 euro pp, but there is about a half mile walk in port area from people mover to terminal) or a taxi from Piazzale Roma directly to terminal door (fixed fee 20e per taxi, four ppl with large pieces of luggage would probably need two taxis).

We did Hotel Olimpia plus taxi each way to and from cruise terminal this July and with high temperatures, thought that the 20e each way for the taxi (even with very short ride) were the best euros we spent in Venice. I actually felt bad for the people that were dragging their luggage from people mover to terminal in the sun.

Thanks for your reply . Will look into Hotel Olimpia . We are there 2 nights prior to sailing . We will have two teenagers 14 and 12 with us so lugging luggage 6 weeks worth of travel ( 4 weeks prior )over numerous bridges and through streets is definitely not worth it lol. . Cheers

Are we on the same cruise ? We sail out on the 30 th may :-) From previous experience booking flights through another cruise company it was their responsibility to get you on the ship on time if the flights were booked through them . Is that the same with NCL I wonder .

May 6th for us

Hi . Can anybody tell me how much transfers to the Spirit from a hotel is . I booked through a travel agency and apparently once you do that, NCL directly do not want anything to do with you ( From Australia any way ) Rang NCL and they said they could not give me any information as its against their policy ??? . My travel agent said the wholesaler cost was $ 500 plus per person including transfers and there are 4 of us . 2000 bucks for two nights seems a tad steep . I know venice is expensive but WOW . Looking at maybe booking hotel ourselves and getting transfers through NCL to make things easier if possible

Also those who have previously done this cruise do you have any tips where to stay that is close to the ship . Thanks guys

Hi We sailed from Venice in September 2012 on Norwegian Spirit. We flew into Treviso Airport and got the regular shuttle bus to Piazzale Roma which is adjacent to the Grand Canal and the terminus for all bus and taxi services in Venice. The shuttle cost us 10 euro each. There is a similar service from Marco Polo Airport. The following link should give you some advice;

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g187870-s301/Venice:Italy:Arriving.And.Departing.html

From here we walked 200 metres to our hotel which we found on Trip Advisor. What a fabulous location on the Grand Canal and close to all transport options including the water buses. Our hotel was Antiche Figure, was superb and is highly rated. Its no more than 5 minutes to the Piazzale Roma. If hauling cases is a bit much then there were porters available for a charge and our hotel offered a portering service too.

We had two wonderful days exploring Venice. To get to the ship we walked back to the Piazzale Roma and got the People Mover into the port area. This costs 1 euro each. From here we still had to walk about a quarter of a mile to the cruise terminal. Alternatively as already indicated by other posters we could have got a taxi direct to the terminal.

Hotels are expensive in Venice but its so worth a visit. Having watched visitors walking all over the city with their luggage and struggling both with the directions and the bridges I would definitely recommend a hotel near to the Piazzale Roma.

If I can help further let me know

John

We embarked on our Med cruise in Venice, though we went with Carnival.

Yes, you should be able to fly in the same day as your cruise...we arrived at about 11 a.m. Venice time. We did give ourselves a day in Venice, though (even though the Sunshine was overnighting there the first night anyway).

Since we didn't sail Norwegian, I can't speak as to what their boarding time is. Even though as I mentioned the Sunshine overnighted the first night, the boarding time was the same as it would be for a US cruise, published as something like 1-4 pm on embarkation day (we did get on at about 10:30 or 11 still), but I don't know what would happen if people showed up at 6 pm on embarkation day, if they would be allowed to board or not.

We stayed at the Hotel Arlecchino (sp?) right on Piazza Roma. It was expensive, especially for what you get, but it was easy to find and get to once you get dropped off in Piazza Roma. Plus, the people mover to the ships was right there (also on Piazza Roma). The room had one double bed, and once we got our luggage in the room, essentially no extra space to move around in. There was a decent breakfast provided the next morning. Also know, if you have more than 2 suitcases per person, you may have some problems with getting things to your hotel no matter where you are staying in Venice. As someone else mentioned, the Hotel Olimpia is also right there and would also be another convenient choice.

Agree,

We did this and it worked quite well.

Here is a link that might explain your transport and find hotels near Piazzale Roma.

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice-cruise-terminal.htm

Hi thanks for all of your replays . John I looked at the hotel you stayed at and they did not have Quad rooms unfortunately but thanks for your suggestion . We ended up booking The Olimpia as they had quad rooms on booking .com . Buffet breakfast included ( should make the teenager happy lol ) for $ 1000 for the four of us . A lot cheaper than 2 grand ! Looking forward to exploring the streets and shops before embarking on our cruise .... Regards Sandi