Carnival cancels Splendor out of NY

spaden

Besides if you cruise during the winter 1-2 days each way will be cold ones.

Better to cruise out of Florida and have warm weather the whole time.

Actually, I prefer 2 days of cruising to 2 days of traveling, even if it may be cold outside.

Actually, I prefer 2 days of cruising to 2 days of traveling, even if it may be cold outside.

We are all different.

We have the time and the traveling South gets us warmer as we approach Florida and than we have an additional 7-8 days in warmth.

Honestly, I cruise winter often, I like it. So I stay inside the first day. There is so much to do that it really doesnt bother me. I am leaving December 27th out of NYC on the Splendor, many times I am in the hot tub relaxing in the winter (I pack our bathing suits in my backpack) Carnival needs to make a plan, a good ship and itinerary. Splendor vs Breakaway? why did I pick Carnival. One I love the line, two I am platinum and three price. I am not even getting off the ship, because I have done this itinerary so many times. But I love to cruise and where is the savings if it coast me $700 up to fly to Florida.

So now I will need to pick NCL or RCCL sad......

I feel like Carnival opened the door but didnt let me in.

Dorene

Dorene, I feel exactly the same way as you . . . we've probably been on winter cruises on the Miracle or Splendor together at one point. I love my winter cruises. Not many kids, just a train ride awy, plenty to do on ship, nice outside after a day or 2. On the Canaveral, Nassau, Freeport run we may take a walk in port in Nassau or Freeport but that is about it . . . Love just being on the ship.

Ships can make it out of New York. Look at competitors of Carnival. They sail the Norwegian Breakaway year round from New York. And Royal Caribbean sails Explorer of the Seas out of New Jersey year round. Explorer has been doing her runs from New Jersey for at least three years. Royal now is putting their brand new ship, Quantum of the Seas to New Jersey starting in November 2014.

Norwegian actually has 2 ships sailing out of NY year round, and has for years. At the moment it's the Breakaway and the Gem.

Honestly, I cruise winter often, I like it. So I stay inside the first day. There is so much to do that it really doesnt bother me. I am leaving December 27th out of NYC on the Splendor, many times I am in the hot tub relaxing in the winter (I pack our bathing suits in my backpack) Carnival needs to make a plan, a good ship and itinerary. Splendor vs Breakaway? why did I pick Carnival. One I love the line, two I am platinum and three price. I am not even getting off the ship, because I have done this itinerary so many times. But I love to cruise and where is the savings if it coast me $700 up to fly to Florida.

I feel like Carnival opened the door but didnt let me in.

Dorene

I get your point, but the fact is they have trouble filling the ship. I can't comment on what EOTS sails at. Trust me, they would much rather sail for there year round (full).

Yep, I have family cruising on it in January.

I thought she was down in Miami earlier this year - after she was in New York. Not a NCL expert here. We did tour the ship and was impressed with a lot (except only having elevators and stairs in the front and aft only - that is weird). Enjoy your cruise.

It would be nice if Carnival would just tell their customers why, then this thread wouldnt have so many thoughts on why. I believe as a Platinum member I think they should tell me. Like it or not, good or bad if I think it's a good reason or not.

Maybe when John comes back (his father recently passed away) he may say something since we wait 3 months for this great news, and that we will be so happy once we hear the big news on Carnivals new plan. Only to be taken away.

Dorene

We were really looking forward to this

Splendor itinerary!!! :(

Now the hunt is on for a new B2B. But we

are going to wait and let things play out.

I want to see the new itinerarys before

making a decision. Most likely going

to fly to Florida for far better choices other

than Port Canaveral, Nassau & Freeport.

Aruba, Jamaica, St Kitts, Antigua, Curacao,

Belize, etc etc etc..

Our itinerary was for Feb 13, 2015 to March 1st 2015

Feb 13 ...............New York

Feb 14 ...............At Sea

Feb 15 ...............At Sea

Feb 16 ...............Grand Turk

Feb 17 ...............At Sea

Feb 18 ...............Antigua

Feb 19 ...............St Kitts

Feb 20 ...............St Thomas

Feb 21 ...............Puerto Rico ( Turnaround Day )

Feb 22 ...............St Kitts

Feb 23 ...............Antigua

Feb 24 ...............St Thomas

Feb 25 ...............At Sea

Feb 26 ...............Grand Turk

Feb 27 ................At Sea

Feb 28 ................At Sea

March 1 .............New York

Edited by PortSideCruzan

I really think it's weather related. I think most cruisers are looking for "fun in the sun" - and that's not easy out of NYC in the winter.

There are only so many places you can to - and back from - in 7 days home ported in NYC. :/

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Which is why they need to do 9-12 day voyages. NCL goes as far south as Barbados out of NYC, it just takes more time. Longest non-repo CCL does out of NY regularly is (or was) the 8 day, Grand Turk, HMC, Nassau route which is decent, but gets real old real quick.

It would be nice if Carnival would just tell their customers why, then this thread wouldnt have so many thoughts on why. I believe as a Platinum member I think they should tell me. Like it or not, good or bad if I think it's a good reason or not.

Maybe when John comes back (his father recently passed away) he may say something since we wait 3 months for this great news, and that we will be so happy once we hear the big news on Carnivals new plan. Only to be taken away.

Dorene

All they will tell us it was for operational reasons. AKA not making money leaving ship in NYC for winter months.

Which is why they need to do 9-12 day voyages. NCL goes as far south as Barbados out of NYC, it just takes more time. Longest non-repo CCL does out of NY regularly is (or was) the 8 day, Grand Turk, HMC, Nassau route which is decent, but gets real old real quick.

Agreed nice itinerary but prefer going further south for warmer weather in the winter.

However not Carnival's style to do cruises for more than 7-8 days.

Agreed nice itinerary but prefer going further south for warmer weather in the winter.

However not Carnival's style to do cruises for more than 7-8 days.

True but I wish it was not.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app from my IPhone

You would think that it being "Jersey Week" that they would have kept that NY-SJ itinerary. I know a lot of families who we met and sailed with on the Breakaway this year during "Jersey Week" that were interested in the Carnival Splendor NY-SJ for jersey week in 2014.

See ya Carnival, you lost us as a customer next year and Celebrity gained a new customer.

I thought she was down in Miami earlier this year - after she was in New York. Not a NCL expert here. We did tour the ship and was impressed with a lot (except only having elevators and stairs in the front and aft only - that is weird). Enjoy your cruise.

After the transatlantic arrival in NYC, the NCL Breakaway has been homeported here since. It does the 7 day Bermuda cruise in the summer, and the 7 day Bahama cruise in the winter, with a couple of 12 day Caribbean cruises in January and short 'Cruises to Nowhere' in between. The Gem is also here all year round. It does a mix of Bahama cruises, Caribbean cruises, and New England/Canada cruises in the fall.....

Due to Budweiser chartering the new Getaway for a Superbowl hotel, her transatlantic maiden voyage was changed to New York instead of Miami. She will do some pre-charter cruises to nowhere for invited press, TA's, and select VIP passenger's. After the charter, she will do a public repositioning cruise to Nassau, then due to the PVSA, run empty over to her permanent homeport of Miami...

As for only two main stairway/elevator banks...that seems to be the trend in many newbuilds.... There are some other stairways between adjacent public decks in certain high traffic areas....

So less is more?

Surprisingly, even to us, in this case it was. Not that we didn't enjoy the Voyager of the Seas with the wonderful shows & indoor promenade because we did & actually went on her twice. We also loved our large aft balcony equipped with chaise lounges & fabulous views. However, money was an issue for us last year so we decided to cut costs by not having to fly & giving up the balcony. We were going to take Explorer out of Bayonne but the 10 & 11 day itineraries were hard to coordinate with work schedules in May since we wanted to try to avoid the summer months when kids are out of school. So we opted for Splendor & are very happy that we did. We were very wary because of reading so many bad reviews & claims of no live music. We had outside cabin on deck 2 right by the atrium elevators & stairs. One flight up to the atrium where there was always live music & entrance to Black Pearl Restaurant where we had ATD...very convenient. There was live music all around the ship at night..piano bar, Latin band, Pop band & they switched venues. Also Karaoke in the comedy club as well as outside at the pool on some nights. We were pleasantly surprised. We had heard about the loud DJ at the main pool & while this wasn't something we were interested in it was there for those that were & we enjoyed sitting by the aft pool enjoying the deli, tandoor, & rotisserie most days for lunch while spending the money we saved on delicious drinks & 2 trips to the fabulous steakhouse. We also loved HMC & Grand Turks for 2 great beach days. We would not like the itinerary with Port Canaveral, Nassau, & Freeport. Again, no one was more surprised than us at what a wonderful relaxing time we had & were planning to go again in May 2015.

I feel like Carnival opened the door but didn't let me in.

Dorene

I couldn't agree more. I am booked on the splendor in March. We love that we don't have to fly. This will be our second time out of NY in the winter. We love it and it has become an annual thing for us. With my husband daughter, sister and I it is so expensive to fly. About $1000 or more for the 4 of us. I love getting on during cold weather and waking up and it is warm out. Plus it is so much easier with everything we need to bring with us to not have to fly. I am carnival lover, been cruise with them since 08 but now I have to consider one of the other cruise lines. And even though they are more expensive, just not having to deal with the stress of flying may be worth it.

I agree with all of you about flying to Florida during the winter. A lot of things to consider besides the additional cost, e.g. weather and storms can be a big issue. I live a 20 minute cab ride from the NYC piers, my two choices were CCL and NCL. I chose CCL for the price only. The itinerary sucks big time but the cost was more than half of the NCL Gem 9 day trip. I am tentatively booked for 2015 on the Gem because of the itinerary...and only the itinerary.

I am also thinking of doing the 5 night Bermuda trip on RCI at the end of October, anyone been on that....really don't want to go to NJ but I will suck it up.

Does anyone know when the piers in Brooklyn are going to be opening up permanently?

True but I wish it was not.

Part of the reason we are thinking our exclusive Carnival run is over.

Doing our first TA next year and other than winter cruises in the future will be doing longer ones on other cruise lines.

After the transatlantic arrival in NYC, the NCL Breakaway has been homeported here since. It does the 7 day Bermuda cruise in the summer, and the 7 day Bahama cruise in the winter, with a couple of 12 day Caribbean cruises in January and short 'Cruises to Nowhere' in between. The Gem is also here all year round. It does a mix of Bahama cruises, Caribbean cruises, and New England/Canada cruises in the fall.....

Due to Budweiser chartering the new Getaway for a Superbowl hotel, her transatlantic maiden voyage was changed to New York instead of Miami. She will do some pre-charter cruises to nowhere for invited press, TA's, and select VIP passenger's. After the charter, she will do a public repositioning cruise to Nassau, then due to the PVSA, run empty over to her permanent homeport of Miami...

As for only two main stairway/elevator banks...that seems to be the trend in many newbuilds.... There are some other stairways between adjacent public decks in certain high traffic areas....

Thanks for the info. Maybe it was a port of call I saw. The stairwell thing is just kind of weird, the other thing was the hallways seemed a little narrow. Loved the haven.