Carnival cancels Splendor out of NY

spaden

On the bright side, maybe NYC will get a different Carnival ship every season. That would be a fun way to experience the Carnival fleet!

My guess it will be the Splendor the following year. We will see what happens when they bring the Vista over.

Carnival is pulling out of Boston, Baltimore, and Norfolk due to EPA Regulations. They didn't state a reason as to why they would only offer "seasonal" sailings out of NYC going forward. My guess is lack of profit on Winter cruises and not filling to capacity.

Just my 2 cents. It costs more to get down to the caribbean/bahamas etc islands from that far north. With the EPA regs and the extra gas, they will just stick the ship in FL and make people fly to it instead. Lotta competition in FL though.... Enjoy your 'cheap' cruises. Blah... I have already moved on...although I don't mind the Conquest out of nawlins... but for those that want the Dream, they can have it!

Edited by TwinPrincessMermaids

We live in New York State and enjoy being able to go on a cruise where we don't have to pay for air fare. This February will be our 3rd cruise out of NYC with Carnival. I just read that Carnival is pulling out of NYC, so I called Carnival to discuss my February 2015 cruise......they put me on hold for at least 5 minutes then came back and said, there are no cruises available after November of 2014. Once he found out I was looking to cruise in February of 2015, he rushed me off of the phone.

Very disapointed in Carnival pulling out of NYC for winter cruises. Now we will either be taking RCL, Norweigen or not doing a cruise at all.

Customer service was no help.

in order for that to be possible, the gangways at pier 90 needs to be rebuilt like what they did on pier 88 for the ncl breakaway

Well they are gonna need to do it for the Vista eventually if she comes here so might as well do it now.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Just received a promo e-mail from Carnival stating that Carnival sails out of NYC year round!

So while the Splendor may not be sailing year round out of NYC, one of Carnival's ships certainly is.:D

Must have something to do with the necessary safety upgrades, etc.

Good in a sense that they change the ships based in NYC.

MARAPRINCE

We live in New York State and enjoy being able to go on a cruise where we don't have to pay for air fare. This February will be our 3rd cruise out of NYC with Carnival. I just read that Carnival is pulling out of NYC, so I called Carnival to discuss my February 2015 cruise......they put me on hold for at least 5 minutes then came back and said, there are no cruises available after November of 2014. Once he found out I was looking to cruise in February of 2015, he rushed me off of the phone.

Very disapointed in Carnival pulling out of NYC for winter cruises. Now we will either be taking RCL, Norweigen or not doing a cruise at all.

Customer service was no help.

Congrats on your first post on Cruisecritic. What was it you thought Customer Service was going to do for you?

If you're dedicated to cruising out of NYC, then support the lines that keep ships here year round. Give Quantum or Breakaway a try... they're light years better than Splendor anyway (IMHO).

Just received a promo e-mail from Carnival stating that Carnival sails out of NYC year round!

So while the Splendor may not be sailing year round out of NYC, one of Carnival's ships certainly is.:D

Must have something to do with the necessary safety upgrades, etc.

Good in a sense that they change the ships based in NYC.

MARAPRINCE

They do sail year round out of NY right now, just not after Nov of this year.

I think not enough people are booking from NYC during winter.

No, people are booking other lines, they are not booking Carnival I suppose.

NCL Breakaway and NCL Gem have full capacity each sailing from NYC. Not only that, but their fares aren't at rock bottom like Carnival was. RCL's Quantum, across the river on the Jersey side, is very successful in filing their cabins at EXTREMELY HIGH fares.

Edited by ibcnusoon

NCL Breakaway and NCL Gem have full capacity each sailing from NYC. Not only that, but their fares aren't at rock bottom like Carnival was. RCL's Quantum, across the river on the Jersey side, is very successful in filing their cabins at EXTREMELY HIGH fares.

How can you tell that the Quantum is successful at filling their cabins at high prices?

Their first cruise isn't until November?

Bill

Have you stopped to think that maybe people are also weighing the costs of airfare and hotel to a Carnival cruise from Florida or elsewhere and find that it's cheaper to cruise on the other ships from their home port?

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Forums mobile app

Have you stopped to think that maybe people are also weighing the costs of airfare and hotel to a Carnival cruise from Florida or elsewhere and find that it's cheaper to cruise on the other ships from their home port?

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Forums mobile app

That's undoubtedly true for those who are making a decision primarly on price. Many cruisers (like myself) choose the product that fits what they most want and will pay for it' date=' within reason. At the end of the day though, Splendor was [i']dirt cheap[/i] out of NYC... significantly less expensive than NCL or what Royal is asking for Quantum (which IMHO is not unreasonably expensive for the product offered). Carnival should reflect on why Splendor was commanding such a low price out of NYC and see how they can enhance their product in such a way that it will command a higher price in the marketplace in the future.