Adjoining Balconies on CB

dleighb

We are traveling with friends on the CB in January, and we have rooms next to each other on the Emerald Deck. I was told that the balconies are able to be opened up so that you can share a balcony. Is this true? If so, do you ask your steward or do you need to make the request in your reservation? Can you open them and close them yourself? We sort of did the latter on an NCL cruise, but it wasn't easy because we didn't have the right size allen wrench. On our Disney cruise, they had painted over the mechanism that allows the dividers to be opened, so we didn't really have that option on Disney even though we were told we would. Was wondering how it would be on the CB.

You will still have a divider between you but a small door section towards the room side of the balcony can be opened up that you can walk back and forth between the balconies if you want.

There is no way to make it one big balcony if that was what you were thinking.

You'll be able to have the divider opened if there's no bulkhead separating the two cabins. My friend, Pam in CA, tells me cabin numbers changing at the hundreds mark, say 500s to 600s, indicates a bulkhead.

I suppose if you had the correct size tool you could do it yourself, but asking your steward is so quick and easy.

I was not aware the dividers on DCL ships could be opened, but it's been so long since I sailed on one of their ships, my memory may have failed me.

Lew

You'll be able to have the divider opened if there's no bulkhead separating the two cabins. My friend, Pam in CA, tells me cabin numbers changing at the hundreds mark, say 500s to 600s, indicates a bulkhead.
Right. :) Just look at the deck plans and you'll see the fire doors in the corridor. They are at the hundred number change.

Thank you! Our rooms are not at the 100s, so we should be all right. I was just curious as to whether or not it was an entire cruise or not option. We thought it might be a nice way to between rooms for visiting, but be able to close off should spending that much time together cause us to hate each other by the end of the cruise! I've known people who were great friends when they started a trip and wouldn't talk to each other by the end.

I didn't know if this was an easy process or something more complicated.

Thank you! Our rooms are not at the 100s, so we should be all right. I was just curious as to whether or not it was an entire cruise or not option. We thought it might be a nice way to between rooms for visiting, but be able to close off should spending that much time together cause us to hate each other by the end of the cruise! I've known people who were great friends when they started a trip and wouldn't talk to each other by the end.

I didn't know if this was an easy process or something more complicated.

It would be a pain to ask your steward to open and close the door several times a day, or even once a day. If you do it yourself, it could be a bigger hassle if the door isn't secured properly and you discover this at 2am. :) Princess cabins have two curtains: a privacy curtain and a room darkening curtain. What we always did is that if the privacy curtain was open (which you can tell at a glance), then come on over. If it's closed, they want privacy.

This is an old photo of a Caribe deck balcony partition door that's been secured open. As you can see, the door may not be secured on your balcony but your neighbor's.

balconydoor1.jpg