Dumb Question from a Boomer Who Grew Up Watching Love Boat

RocketJ

Hi All - Remember on Love Boat when the ship used to leave port everyone stood at the railing and threw confetti and streamers and waved hankies and yelled Bon Voyage and stuff like that?

Well, do they still do that on cruises? Do you have to bring your own confetti and streamers?

Joanne (who doesn't want to miss out on one little thing!)

Well, there's no confetti or streamers...and mostly nobody on the dock to see them anyway. However, there is usually a sail away party on deck with music and drinks. You have to pay for the drinks. It's still fun to have a drink and watch the departure from the deck even without the streamers.

Well, there's no confetti or streamers...and mostly nobody on the dock to see them anyway. However, there is usually a sail away party on deck with music and drinks. You have to pay for the drinks. It's still fun to have a drink and watch the departure from the deck even without the streamers.

Shoot! I was kinda looking forward to that!

Joanne

Hi,:) there is always a nice place to be at your Port of Embarkation......up at the Pool.

If, for example you are leaving from Port Everglades out of Fort Ldle, when the ship sails there are Condos on the Port Side and you can wave to people over there as the ship is leaving:D

But when you are leaving your different ports (example in the Caribbean) alot of the time people have been out all day and they are not necessarily as "Fresh" as on the first day.

But it is ALL FUN:D ..don't worry! If you want to be looking over the railing every time the ship leaves...go ahead! There are no hard and fast rules!

do you know the little bottle of bubbles that are used on brides and grooms now. Buy them and as the horn blows start blowing bubbles. The streamers are no longer allowed so that the fish can have clean water. If you leave from San Fran or Vancouver you will want to be out on deck and see the bridges go by (you go under). People do way from condos and some have flags set out.

As our ship departed Miami - we were up on deck looking out to sea enjoying the sail away experience - what was really neat were all the cars on the highway honking their horns and waving at us :D

Joanne, you won't find Julie McCoy, either!:D (I still look for the Love Boat shows.)

In the olden days, throwing confetti and streamers was really fun, but I understand about the environmental issues.

About the bubbles - On one of my cruises, I saw a little boy spill all his bubble liquid, and a lady slipped and fell, and had to be carried to her cabin...bad ankle twist. Just be careful!:)

As our ship departed Miami - we were up on deck looking out to sea enjoying the sail away experience - what was really neat were all the cars on the highway honking their horns and waving at us :D

Us too! But we stayed on our port side balcony through departure to wave back--it was great! (at least from perspective of another 'love boat' viewing boomer:) ).

Look over the railing as you leave because we saw Dolphins going in and out of the water in front of the bow. Neat experience!:)

one of the bartenders told us that there were usually a ton of dolphins on the way in and out of port. because the ship apparently processes all the leftovers into these little "food bricks" and drops them behind the boat, and the dolphins have come to learn/remember this, and are always around, looking for a hand out.

On most of our cruises, on Island night, they gave out streamers that you could throw from the deck above the pool. That was fun. :p I guess it wasn't too much fun for the people that had to clean it up. :eek:

Hey OKie, was that out of Galveston by chance??? That would be really sweet to see that!

There are usually Dolphins around the ship in Galveston ..behind and side towards the back.

Also look for them as you pass the ferry landing.

But most of the activites are midship,around the pool.

We have sat at Landrys at the pier,they will follow the Elation out,then come back and follow the Rhapsody out..Its pretty cool.

You might have a hard time from top deck...But they'll be there.Somewhere:)

BRN2CRZ, Thanks for your reply about dolphins! I have this thing about dolphins, there is just something about them that is really special to me. Have never been to Galveston, how far is Galveston from Bestwestern on the Beach? Landry's is a restaurant isn't it? Any further insite bout Galveston is appreciated! :)

Hi Know what you mean...Dolphins are amazing..

If you are spending the night,I would suggest that you go on down to the ferry and take it across to Bolivar.Its only about a 20 min ride..and a lot of fun especially before a cruise..Lots of seagulls and stuff.The Dolphins are almost always seen as you pull in to and leave the second side.Off to your left..You can stand at the front or the back of the Ferry,or up top.As you make your trip back across,as you get close to the landing.look out off to your right.This is where I usually spot them.

Yes,Landrys is a restaurant.Between the pier,and the Tall ship Elissa is a restaurant.It used to be Landrys and Willie G's (owned by the same company) in May,the Landrys side was closed down?? But you can sit outside on the deck.

If you are on the Ecstasy.you probably wont be able to see any other ships coming in...But the still play sometimes right out in front there.

I have never seen them from the ship,but I know they are there,because I have watched them follow the ships from the land.

Also,if you are on the beach...Look for shrimp boats..They also follow these.

Best Western in Galveston is just across the from the beach on Seawall Blvd,an older hotel,but great ocean views,and a good clean stay.Its not far from anywhere to anywhere on the Island..Less than a 10 min drive to the port.

Have a great time.

. If you leave from San Fran or Vancouver you will want to be out on deck and see the bridges go by (you go under). .

Ohhh.... I'd forgotten about that! It is absolutely beautiful to sail out of Vancouver. And we did do streamers and such on that cruise... but that was back in the day when Love Boat was just barely off the air!

I too have memories of all the hype when leaving from years ago so it was such a shock on the last cruise how different it was.No streamers or band or calling out, as you are too high up from the pier.As I looked down the railing all I could see were all these people on their mobile phones to presumebly people on the pier or home.So much quieter! it was eerie I'm hoping my next one will be a lot livelier from Barcelona on RCI :p

Alas...all of that excitement has vanished due to environmental concerns and security. In the "old days" family and friends could board the ship with you for a real "bon voyage" party and then the streamers between ship and shore on sailing...it was wonderful. Now no visitors are allowed on the ship and, usually, not on the pier or in the terminal. It's sad...when we sailed from Southampton on the fantastic Queen Mary 2 last September the "send off" was absolutely nothing...this big, beautiful ship simply casts off and sets sail...there were a few people on the absolute end of the pier but that was it...I found it a bit of a let down as the whole thing was a really big event for me and seemed worth some sort of celebration.

On the other hand...there's always good Caribbean music playing when the ship sails and passengers still line the rails to watch the departure...people on shore will wave...it's still a wonderful moment. But, as with so much these days, the world has changed and not necessarily for the better.

I love cruising and will take as many tropical boatrides as time and money allow...it's the perfect vaction. Have fun!

If, for example you are leaving from Port Everglades out of Fort Ldle, when the ship sails there are Condos on the Port Side and you can wave to people over there as the ship is leaving:D

We left from there in January and were slightly delayed and left when it was dark. Everyone in the condos were flashing there lights, sounding off airhorns and waving good bye. It was great to see. I think for some it must be a Saturday night ritual.

On our cruise to the caribbean last year we had a balcony (fortunately our cabin was on the dock side), so stayed out there for the sail away...there weren't any people on the dock except for the guards, but when we finally started to move, they waived, lol. There was a lot of other people out on their balconies, so we all waived back, and if I'm not mistaken, people (on the ship) were cheering. It was my first cruise, and I'd say it was quite exciting even without the large crowds.

• 2 weeks later...

lilmsonry... Yes that was out of Galveston. It was really cool. We also saw Dolphins outside of our room one evening. There was a whole pod with babies. Awesome! Really made the trip special.:) Sorry it took so long to respond, we've been doing lots of baseball tournaments this last month.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived