New afternoon canapes!!

Gracie115

Not sure if this is the case fleetwide or even if it applies to anything other than Aqua Class but on our Connie cruise this week the afternoon canapés were much tastier than in the past. Each afternoon we were given a tray with 4 slots, always had a mixture of olives in one, peanuts in another and then some kind of dip or sauce for the tortilla chips they put in a small dish. The last slot had a variety of fruits, shrimp or salsa depending on the day. It was very small portions but tasty little bites late in the afternoon.....a VAST improvement over the basically unrecognizable little bites they used to have which we always turned down....

As I said, I don't know if it's fleetwide or just Connie, but it WAS an improvement!!:)

Hi Everyone,

As always, the topic of food is very subjective... but here's my thoughts :

We had the canapes on Eclipse (Concierge Class) a couple of weeks ago. Square plates with 4 sections. Each day, 2 squares were filled with olives, and the other with tasteless pita chips. The other 2 sections had items which changed daily, such as cold cuts, hummus, a couple of small shrimp etc. If you enjoy hummus, I thought that was one of the better items.

If only Celebrity didnt include the olives and pita chips *every day*, I would have called it an improvement, but we wound up skipping it more often than not, especially during the 2nd week of the cruise, as it became too repetitive.

A couple of times, I requested a cheese plate, and thought it was a much better option.

Hi Everyone,

We had the canapes on Eclipse (Concierge Class) a couple of weeks ago. Square plates with 4 sections. Each day, 2 squares were filled with olives, and the other with tasteless pita chips. The other 2 sections had items which changed daily, such as cold cuts, hummus, a couple of small shrimp etc. If you enjoy hummus, I thought that was one of the better items.

If only Celebrity didnt include the olives and pita chips *every day*, I would have called it an improvement, but we wound up skipping it more often than not, especially during the 2nd week of the cruise, as it became too repetitive.

A couple of times, I requested a cheese plate, and thought it was a much better option.

We used to ask for a cheese plate to replace the old canapés but these were good enough that we didn't bother and since I love olives enjoyed the different assortment of them every day....now we were only on a 5 night cruise and I might tire of them too if onboard for two weeks, but still I think it's a good improvement over the old ones....I never had ANY idea what in the world I was eating then...and my DH. who is allergic to seafood, just never took a chance cause the stuff was unrecognizeable!!!

Edited by Gracie115

I know we're in the minority, but we liked the old canapés. At least they were creative, something I can't dump out of a bag at home. Yes, I will agree the toasts were stale, but we'd scrape off the top stuff and really enjoyed them. Honestly...peanuts? olives? Pita and/or tortilla chips with hummus/salsa? How can you NOT do that at home?

I know we're in the minority, but we liked the old canapés. At least they were creative, something I can't dump out of a bag at home. Yes, I will agree the toasts were stale, but we'd scrape off the top stuff and really enjoyed them. Honestly...peanuts? olives? Pita and/or tortilla chips with hummus/salsa? How can you NOT do that at home?

I'm with you. I loved the old canapés, but my wife hated them (she has no palate :D). They improved the toasts a year ago and were not stale. The new canapés suck in my opinion. The pita/chips were stale. The only thing I liked was the olives.

We actually liked the old ones, too. I'm a bit disappointed. We're not interested in these new items if they are as described.

Curious if anyone knows if with the canapés if they take into account allergy requests. I've already put in my allergy requests...and put some strong wording in in regards to fruit (no citrus in the room) as I've heard Concerige class gets fruit.

I'm not stressed out about the canapés - it's just an extra but would I be better to just ask for cheese to be brought daily?

I'm terribly confused as to why there is any excitement, disappointment or controversy surrounding this. I've seen the room service menu - why not order shrimp cocktail, cheese plate, pizza or whatever? it's just as "free" as the canapés, pita chips, olives etc. no?

I always thought the canopies were too small to protect me from the afternoon setting sun.I hope these are larger.

Sorry, the pita chips we got were so soggy they wouldn't really have protected you from the sun as they wouldn't stand up. OTOH the sun might have dried them out a bit.:D

I don't complain about much but these were disgusting and they came like that several times. We liked the shrimp and the olives.

I have to agree w/ YVR. I think they made the plates up WAY in advance and put the lid on them and the chips (sometimes pita and sometimes tortilla chips) picked up the moisture from the olives etc and they were stale/soggy every time. I don't see these as a dumbing down nor do I see them as an improvement. More of a lateral change IMHO.

Hi Everyone,

We are just off a Trans Atlantic from Barcelona to Fort Lauderdale on the Equinox (Concierge Class) and were not all that impressed with the canapes. We don't eat very much to begin with so it was not great loss as far as we are concerned. We did enjoy the fruit that our state room attendant left. It as always very fresh.

Edited by Chicago Boy