Caribbean Princess delayed 24 hrs

gooch47

Worst thing about it is every Tax Payer in Houston (Harris County)is paying for this White Elephant of a terminal. I voted against this bond issue but it still passed. Why the money was not spent to enlarge Galveston is strictly Texas politics.

After sitting empty for several years they bribed several cruise lines with massive kick backs to get them to move to this terminal.

Lets see how long they stay once these kick backs expire??

Anyone want to buy the Astrodome which has set empty for years while us tax payers continue to pay for the bonds floated on it??

Suspect this terminal will be a similar debacle.

You are aware that Galveston isn't part of Harris county so how could a bond in Harris county be used in Galveston county. Houston also was shutting down the old terminal that NCL had been using off and on for years. The city had hoped that a new terminal might also bring NCL back after it's first few years in New Orleans. Also while I agree that the port has had many issues Princess has agreed to add two more years at Bayport where they will be paying for it's useage there.

While Bayport may have it's issues at least it is a usable port and a little dredging might solve many of it's issues. I was living in Corpus Christi TX when they voted and built their cruise terminal. The city built the terminal where any ship would have to pass under the harbor bridge which is to low for modern cruise ships.

Sent from my SGP312 using Tapatalk 4

Edited by ITK79

We are back at our hotel after a decent cruise. We made all three ports (costa Maya, Belize, and Cozumel) with nice weather at all three. The two sea days were terrible.

We arrived back at Bayport on time. We chose the last walkoff group and wondered where everyone was. The place seemed deserted. Even our cab driver commented on it. They hadn't started calling the colors for those who had put out luggage the night before.

One nice surprise: we were the second place "Most travelled passengers."

Great that you made all three ports!

We'll be going on this cruise in February....would you happen to know whether they offered passes for the sanctuary for the full week or could one only by half-day/day access?

Thanks!

Chris

We were on the Thanksgiving cruise that left Houston a day late (we actually spent Sat night on the ship). Our itinerary changed dramatically due to the winds. Instead of Cozumel, Roatan then Belize we ended up in Costa Maya Mexico on Tuesday and Cozumel on Thursday and that was it for us.

Looks like Princess did something similar on the 12/21/13 cruise. Late departure out of Houston (24 hrs) and they dropped Roatan altogether. They went to Costa Maya, Belize City, then Cozumel instead.

We were on the 12/14 voyage right before that - the one who's Houston Saturday (12/21) return was originally delayed 24 hours due to the port closure for fog but then the fog lifted unexpectedly 12/21 0800 a.m. and the captain made a run for port.

Ironically, I had found out from our our PRE-cruise hotel staff at 9 p.m. (12/13) the night previous to our departure (NOT from anyone at Princess) to expect a delay the next day due to the Houston fog. Sure enough they were right! Princess sent us an emergency email around 10:45 a.m. the morning of departure revealing the delay with the 12/7 voyage's return, asking us not to arrive for check-in until after 3 p.m. Unfortunately, I think that communication came too late as we later found out that throngs of 12/14 passengers driving in were stuck in a parking holding lot for more than 4 hours.

Luckily for us we were able to extend our visit at Space Center Houston, then relax a little longer at the hotel lobby until 3 p.m. before heading to the Bayport cruise terminal. Also, the delay for our 12/14 voyage departure was not great enough to require an itinerary change. We were able to max cruise it Saturday night and all-day Sunday and lose only about an hour at Cozumel Monday (12/16) morning.

Edited by flippy_flyer
minor

Contrary to what "ITK79" posted, Bayport is in Harris and not Galveston county. The port commission that runs the Bayport cruise terminal as well as the Port of Houston is appointed by the city of Houston and other government entities within Harris County.

It was good to see that the Caribbean Princess made it to port today without weather delays. Best wishes for smooth sailing to those heading out on the cruise today. Happy 2014!

Edited by lj77346

Contrary to what "ITK79" posted, Bayport is in Harris and not Galveston county.

Go back and re-read what was posted, ITK was correcting a statement implying Harris County taxes could have been used on the Galveston terminal...

~sent using Cruise Critic app~

Worst thing about it is every Tax Payer in Houston (Harris County)is paying for this White Elephant of a terminal.

I have already gotten more use out of the Terminal than I have from the downtown Basketball Palace...

I voted against this bond issue but it still passed. Why the money was not spent to enlarge Galveston is strictly Texas politics.

Beside it being two different counties?

Edited by sminfiddle

Third place was a couple with around 381 days.

We were second with 391 days. Doesn't exactly match my records.

First place was a lady who now travels solo after losing her husband. She had about 650 days.

The numbers were lower than usual. We've been third place three times before, twice in Alaska and once in the Baltics.

Third place was a couple with around 381 days.

We were second with 391 days. Doesn't exactly match my records.

First place was a lady who now travels solo after losing her husband. She had about 650 days.

The numbers were lower than usual. We've been third place three times before, twice in Alaska and once in the Baltics.

Did the top 40 have a lunch or a cocktail party?

Cocktail party. It was the same night we were leaving Cozumel and the Captain didn't arrive in time for photos.

But i heard that a previous sailing had a luncheon.

I suspect that since you lost a sea day (to give you the 3 ports), it was changed from lunch. Webcam showed you in Cozumel on Thursday and that was sea day on my cruise in November (Cozumel was Monday).

I used to work with both port commissions and believe me the underpinning's were that Galveston was ready to expand the terminal in Galveston if Houston defeated the Bond Issue (at no Cost to the tax payers of Harris or Galveston county as this port pays for itself without county help).

Once Houston taxpayer agreed to this white elephant they knew they could not compete.

From what I remember the deal to both Princess and Norwegian is that they would not charge them to use the terminal (after it was unused for several years).

I was not aware that princess had agreed to stay some additional time. I really find it hard to believe that the will stay based on problems plus non full ships leaving the port.

I had some conversations recently with people in Management at NCL and believe me they are watching what is going on with Princess and are aware there is space in Galveston now that Disney has left.

Further Toyota Center was built by HSA that receives it's revenue from hotel and rental car tax's. Up to now it has not cost us tax payers anything.

Unlike the astrodome which we are still paying for as it was built by bonds financed like the port is (which we are still paying on).

I get that you aren't a fan of Bayport and the money it cost and the fact it hasn't made any money. However Galveston has been talking about a new cruise terminal since 2004 and hasn't done anything on it. As of the middle of 2012 the port of Galveston had a debt of around $60 million and didn't want to take on more debt to build another terminal. I believe right now they are talking about renovations to the current terminals and still kicking around the third terminal option.

I am sure NCL is looking at the issues at Bayport, but I am also sure they will not pass on a free place plus all the parking money they stand to get in their current deal. Princess may also rethink their added time at Bayport however keep in mind they only had one delayed trip that didn't effect Galveston. This last delay was a comedy of errors on both the port and Princess for jumping the gun.

I am not sure why you keep bringing up the astrodome, even if it is demolished tomorrow the bonds have to be paid off so the citizens are already stuck with this debt just like we are with Bayport.

Sent from my SGP312 using Tapatalk 4

From the Houston Business Journal..."The Port of Houston Authority is anticipating paying its two new cruise lines, Princess Cruises and Norwegian Cruise Line, a sum of around $7 million over the course of about five years as an incentive to attract their business to the Bayport Cruise Terminal."

So in fact the cruise lines are being PAID to call at Bayport! Why? To support economic development of the port area. I would like to thank all of the Harris County taxpayers.

We will be spending a few dollars here and there for dining, but our hotel nights will be on points.

I get that you aren't a fan of Bayport and the money it cost and the fact it hasn't made any money. However Galveston has been talking about a new cruise terminal since 2004 and hasn't done anything on it. As of the middle of 2012 the port of Galveston had a debt of around $60 million and didn't want to take on more debt to build another terminal. I believe right now they are talking about renovations to the current terminals and still kicking around the third terminal option.

I am sure NCL is looking at the issues at Bayport, but I am also sure they will not pass on a free place plus all the parking money they stand to get in their current deal. Princess may also rethink their added time at Bayport however keep in mind they only had one delayed trip that didn't effect Galveston. This last delay was a comedy of errors on both the port and Princess for jumping the gun.

I am not sure why you keep bringing up the astrodome, even if it is demolished tomorrow the bonds have to be paid off so the citizens are already stuck with this debt just like we are with Bayport.

Now then boys, there be no gunfire in this here saloon.

I am not against the Barber cut terminal. It just makes no sense to ask Cruise ships to spend an extra couple of hours to drive to a container terminal with no facilities when you have a beautiful tourist friendly city like Galveston much closer to the gulf.

I hate waste and this terminal was only built because Houston port officials were trying to one up over Galveston port people.

I hate thinking a tourist's only impression of Houston is this industrial port. I have sailed out of both terminals and while Barbers cut is only a half hour from my house I always enjoy going to Galveston.

Look forward to Princess again sailing out of Galveston as they are my favorite cruise line.

"...$7 million over the course of about five years as an incentive to attract their business to the Bayport Cruise Terminal."

So in fact the cruise lines are being PAID to call at Bayport! Why? To support economic development of the port area. I would like to thank all of the Harris County taxpayers.

My understanding, from what I read elsewhere, was that this money is coming from [port] parking lot revenues.

If I've got that wrong, then "you're welcome!"

I was really surprised at how out in the boondocks this port was. Absolutely nothing around it but refineries and container facilities.

Before last month, only oil and containers have come on or off the ships. So I'm not surprised. Who would build a hotel (or parking lot or tourist restaurant or liquor store) before there are any customers for it?

We dined and lodged overnight in La Porte (pre-cruise) and while it wasn't a bustling, entertaining boardwalk, we found it VERY close to port, quite economical, and everyone who provided service was friendly and competent.

From 2012 in USAToday

Finally, a cruise ship for Houston. Actually, two.

Norwegian Cruise Line and Princess Cruises on Thursday both announced plans to begin voyages out of Houston's Bayport Cruise Terminal, which has been mostly vacant since being completed in 2008.

Princess says the 3,080-passenger Caribbean Princess will offer seven-night sailings to the Western Caribbean out of the terminal starting in November 2013.

Norwegian says the 2,374-passenger Norwegian Jewel will begin seven-night sailings to the Western Caribbean out of the terminal starting in the fall of 2014.

Houston has struggled to lure cruise lines to the $108.4 million terminal, which was built without a guaranteed cruise tenant and has been criticized as an example of wasteful public spending.

And from ABC local station in Feb, 2013

Port of Houston defends pricey deals to bring cruise lines to Bayport Cruise Terminal

After years of sitting empty, the pricey Bayport Cruise Terminal is finally getting two cruise lines to come up the channel. But they won't come without another heavy dose of public money.

Five years ago, I built a really expensive house. I didn't pay for it myself. I borrowed the money from you -- thanks a lot for that. The plan was a really rich family was going to move in, and they'd pay you back. But they never came. So my really expensive house has been empty all that time.

But don't worry, I am about to save the day. I found a really rich family willing to move in, and they're coming in 2014. But they won't have to pay rent. In fact, I'll pay them -- with more of your money -- to live in my house. I knew building this place was a good idea.

In the real world that sounds like a horrible idea. But it's pretty close to the truth.

You didn't lend me money to build a house. But you did lend the Port of Houston money to build the Bayport Cruise Terminal. It cost $108 million of your dollars to build and it's been empty almost every day since it opened.

The deal signed December 6 finally brings two cruise lines to Bayport. But to get Norwegian and Princess cruises to come, the port shelled out millions of your dollars.

"You're satisfied the deal is a good one?" we asked Port of Houston Executive Director Len Waterworth.

"Yes," he said.

Waterworth is the head of the Port of Houston, the guy hired to look out for your cash over there.

We'll get back to his deal in a minute. But first, let's look at how most ports make money.

Lets use Galveston as an example:

The Port of Galveston makes money two ways and it all comes from passengers. First, every passenger pays a port fee -- around $5 when you get on and another $5 when you get off. Next is parking, $70 a car per weeklong cruise.

Over the course of a year -- with dozens of cruises and thousands of passengers -- it adds up to millions for the port. It's money most ports can't live without.

"I can't afford to subtract that number from the bottom line," Port of Galveston Executive Director Mike Mierzwa said. "We are not a taxpayer-supported port, so we get no taxpayer support in Galveston."

In Galveston, they have to pay the bill for their big cruise terminal on their own. In Houston, the taxpayers pay the bill and you're still paying.

Remember those passenger fees? Houston gave them away to Norwegian.

"You're OK with that?" we asked Waterworth.

"Yes," he said.

And the Port of Houston gave away parking money too -- and more.

Houston gave Norwegian millions in cash just for showing up. Before they ever sail, Norwegian got commitments for $6 million in cash. They get the $1.2 million in port fees and $2.3 million from parking. Add it up, it's $9.5 million for Norwegian without having to sell a single ticket.

"There's a lot of different ports that we could've chosen. We wanted to be here," Norwegian Cruise Lines CEO Kevin Sheehan said.

Of course they did. No other cruise port we talked to even comes close to giving that kind of money away.

The Port of Houston admits this deal won't bring in a cent to the Port of Houston.

"At a net loss to the port, but a huge gain to the community," Waterworth said.

The port says bringing in a cruise ship every other week will create a need for hotels, restaurants and entertainment venues near the now-barren Bayport Cruise Terminal.

"The primary part of my job is economic development, job growth," Waterworth said.

But for every new job the deal creates, the port is giving the cruise line $32,000 of your dollars.

"It's easy to criticize, it's hard to lead," Waterworth said. "Is this a good deal? Time will tell, and this was the solution I was able to come up with."

It puts ships at the port's really expensive house, but it makes me wonder if building that really expensive house five years ago was such a good idea after all.

The first NCL ship doesn't arrive until 2014, but the port already paid out $1.7 millions -- so much cash that it caused the port to lose money for the month of December.

And the pay,ments to Princess are covered in http://www.ashcroftandassociates.com/downloads/CI-Spring-2013-Lead-Article.pdf

From the Houston Business Journal..."The Port of Houston Authority is anticipating paying its two new cruise lines, Princess Cruises and Norwegian Cruise Line, a sum of around $7 million over the course of about five years as an incentive to attract their business to the Bayport Cruise Terminal."

We will be spending a few dollars here and there for dining, but our hotel nights will be on points.

I drove to the port, so I paid for toll roads, one night in a hotel, dinner at a local restaurant, port parking, and filled up my car with gas. It's not a huge amount but multiply that by 1,000's of passengers per year and it adds up.

I drove to the port, so I paid for toll roads, one night in a hotel, dinner at a local restaurant, port parking, and filled up my car with gas. It's not a huge amount but multiply that by 1,000's of passengers per year and it adds up.

I also drove to the port. I paid no tolls, did not stay at any hotels,did not eat at any restaurants, did noy buy any gas and I got free parking at the port for 7 days. Thank you Harris County taxpayers!

Edited by phantomII