Caribbean Princess delayed 24 hrs

gooch47

Princess is likely out a lot of $$ already for these continuing wind / fog / weather events that are out of their control.

We are fortunate that we live in the Houston area, so we'll see how things go 4 weeks from now!

Good luck to all coming and going!

Princess is likely out a lot of $$ already for these continuing wind / fog / weather events that are out of their control.

Possible, but they are also not doing much for folks in the way of good will gestures for those of us that have been on these unfortunate cruises.

My call with Customer Relations stated that decisions from upper management were that absolutely no OBC or discounts will be given for future cruises to any of us since this was all "weather" related.

My call with Customer Relations stated that decisions from upper management were that absolutely no OBC or discounts will be given for future cruises to any of us since this was all "weather" related.

And airlines ignore you if a delay or cancellation is due to weather.

And if you pay a fortune to stay at a resort and it rains the entire time, it is not the resort's problem.

Not sure why you think Princess should provide compensation for something totally out of their control.

I look for a big mess now with the disembarking passengers who have cancelled flights they could have made. Princess will take care of those who used EZAir, but those who booked flights on their own will have to sort things out for themselves.

I wish you luck with your cruise. We were on the Thanksgiving cruise that left Houston a day late (we actually spent Sat night on the ship). Our itinerary changed dramatically due to the winds. Instead of Cozumel, Roatan then Belize we ended up in Costa Maya Mexico on Tuesday and Cozumel on Thursday and that was it for us. I hope it's better for you!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

Sounds as if they will put everyone who does not have a car at the port in a ballroom at a Marriott (there are several in Houston) and then try to arrange things from there.

Not true for us...might be true for Princess Air people? Wait in line just for a list of available hotels close to HOU and IAH. No queue system for outgoing calls so dial for satellite service, get busy signal, hang up, repeat and repeat...cruise smile definitely gone and we are not the worst off...one couple has been rebooked tomorrow on two flights that are four hours apart.

Raoul

Not true for us...might be true for Princess Air people? Wait in line just for a list of available hotels close to HOU and IAH. No queue system for outgoing calls so dial for satellite service, get busy signal, hang up, repeat and repeat...cruise smile definitely gone and we are not the worst off...one couple has been rebooked tomorrow on two flights that are four hours apart.

Raoul

Definitely not the way to end a nice cruise. What is the earliest you can disembark? I'm wondering if those with flights this evening still might be able to make them, or if it might be worth going to the airport and standing by. If there's weather disruptions in other cities, there might be missed connections and empty seats available.

Edited by azbirdmom
typo

Not sure why you think Princess should provide compensation for something totally out of their control.

I never once said anything about Princess owing anything, but it would have been a nice gesture to offer a token OBC on a future cruise. In our party of 8 there were 4 first time cruisers and we were constantly having to tell them that "this is not how it usually is, I promise".

By making any token redeemable on a future cruise it would seem to be a win/win, but it is what it is.

Heck, while on the cruise it would have been a nice gesture to offer a few drink coupons since just about everything went wrong, but again, nothing.

Princess made choices and they are what they are.

Definitely not the way to end a nice cruise. What is the earliest you can disembark? I'm wondering if those with flights this evening still might be able to make them, or if it might be worth going to the airport and standing by. If there's weather disruptions in other cities, there might be missed connections and empty seats available.

Going to be interesting for disembarkation, walk offs seem (mildly worded) are restless. More later, trying to book a car/cab online. Raoul

We has similar issues on 11/23 cruise. We boarded on time Saturday, but stayed tied to dock until 10:30am the next day before we departed. We ended up missing Belize and Rotaan completely but they did add Costa Maya. So we were shorted one port and missed almost all shore excursions due to bad weather. Only good thing was we did arrive back at Bayport terminal on time, so no missed flight connections.

I am so sorry for people on this cruise as they will have an awful time making new plane connections with the holiday travel being at its peak. Good luck and Happy Holidays to all........

Sent from my DROID4 using Forums mobile app

Linda, it's Saturday and your ship is there waiting for you. Hope all goes well and you can board today after all. :)

I suppose they'll still have to wait until tomorrow to leave if that's what they told everyone? :confused:

I imagine they will allow people to board today but won't sail until Sunday as many people will have changed their plans due to the Postponement E mail Princess sent out and won't get to Bayport until tomorrow for their (now) 6 day cruise. Logistical nightmares for up to 6,000 passengers and another headache for Princess.

I will be there in 3 weeks from today. I am too invested in this cruise which I booked over 9 months ago to consider canceling and looking for another cruise on the Hamburger of the Seas, Carnival Eyesore or HAL's Dontgiveadam all of which are sailing from PE.

Happy Holidays to all affected.

Norris

in Chicago

According to a recent post, the Port of Houston, Bayport Cruise Terminal is closed and the local harbor pilot will not allow ships to enter the port. They make the safety call.

That was my point ... if the Harbor folks can't get their act together ... Princess will move the ship somewhere else. They can't continue to operate like this. Has us thinking we may want to move to the Ruby out of FFL...

Edited by MauiLvrs

I've never cruised the Caribbean from west of Tampa, so I don't have experience in these things. The worst I've ever had are a few missed ports and a two-hour delay getting into San Francisco on the Golden, they hoped in vain we would vacate cabins before passing under the bridge and docking. Yeah, right.

Sorry. So excited i didn't finish my post.

I'm sure some people won't arrive until Sunday so it will still be a lost day.

Wanna bet those of us who board today won't get our 1/7th OBC. LOL

So we are going to check out, go back to the airport and see how long it takes to get on a Princess transfer. Right now our kids are walking to Wal-mart to get some shoes for my DD. Can you say, "plan ahead?" Not in their vocabulary.

Raoul

Four hours apart wouldn't. Be too bad. I would just be happy to get on a flight especially at this time of year.

But you should see the first couple of drafts.

Disembarkation was a debacle. (Insert several swear words here).

For a crew that had already experienced several delayed disembarkations, there is/was a serious failure to learn anything from the past (admit that this is only my opinion from my experience). The two major issues were lack of "enforcement" of the disembarkation order and then inadequate crew, in both number and training/experience/assertiveness to ensure an organised disembarkation.

It is also sad to say that many passengers contributed greatly to the loss of control and civility. However, I believe that Princess's lack of preparation and poor planning created the resulting mass confusion.

I apologize for this rant. I promise to post constructive plans/ideas for the 21st (and later?) cruisers in case they have delays as well. Raoul

Edited by CantSwim63
Tried to correct spelling mistakes.

We just got home from the 12/14 cruise on the Caribbean Princess. Last night the passengers received a letter that the ship would not arrive at the dock until late Saturday and disembarkation would be on Sunday morning. Based on that information, passengers with flights on Saturday started to attempt to change their reservations. Fortunately for us, we drove to the pier and were not affected by the delay and then change in disembarkation plans that was announced this morning.

While we were at breakfast, the ship started to move and shortly thereafter, an announcement was made that the port was now open and the ship would dock at around 11 a.m. and disembarkation would begin around noon. This was a bit of a surprise and we felt sorry for everyone who had changed flights, especially those with later flights who possibly could have made them. It seemed like Princess was trying to do the right thing by providing early notice of the delay, but when the ship was able to arrive earlier than expected, passengers who changed flights to Sunday departures ended up being without a place to stay on Saturday night.

While Princess has no control over the weather, it seems that once passengers were told that we would not disembark until Sunday and travel plans were changed accordingly, those with independent flight arrangements who took Princess at their word should not have been left further inconvenienced. For those who had flights this ended up as pretty much a no win situation.

We were one of the lucky ones. After changing flights, then being extremely lucky, we were able to change back to somewhat original flights. We are at two different airports, and it appears we will make the flights. To top off the list of items, hobby airport, southwest, had a three hour check in line that was out the door and around the corner. Add to this, it was pouring rain! Oh well, we may just get home tonight. I will have to really think hard about using this port again, on second thought, I won't, it just is not a vacation with all these problems.

But you should see the first couple of drafts.

Disembarkation was a debacle. (Insert several swear words here).

For a crew that had already experienced several delayed disembarkations, there is/was a serious failure to learn anything from the past (admit that this is only my opinion from my experience). The two major issues were lack of "enforcement" of the disembarkation order and then inadequate crew, in both number and training/experience/assertiveness to ensure an organised disembarkation.

It is also sad to say that many passengers contributed greatly to the loss of control and civility. However, I believe that Princess's lack of preparation and poor planning created the resulting mass confusion.

I apologize for this rant. I promise to post constructive plans/ideas for the 21st (and later?) cruisers in case they have delays as well. Raoul

I was on the 12/7 sailing that was delayed about 4 hours getting back to Houston by fog. For us, disembarkation seemed to be very well run. The folks in the Platinum/Elite lounge kept us very well informed and when my color was finally called for disembarkation, I literally walked out of Club Fusion, down past Explorer's Lounge, turned left at the elevators and walked off the ship. No line... customs was another matter, but I was aboard my transfer bus within 30 minutes of disembarking.

Well, after reading this, I will not be sailing from Galveston, TX. I'm really glad Miami and Ft Lauderdale do not have fog issues, at least, I don't recall fog ever being an issue at these two ports..

Edited by B744