Customs procedure for NZ & Aus

Cruise NH

Hi,

I was hoping someone could tell me what happens when you enter Australia and New Zealand by ship.

I know we need a visa (us citizens), but what actually happens when you arrive? We'll be on Cunard and entering Australia via Brisbane, then we go to Sydney and after that to New Zealand.

We've traveled to Europe by ship and there are UK customs agents on board (QM2) for entry to the UK. After that we didn't show anything to go ashore in any other country except Russia...so I don't know what to expect.

Thanks.

You just need the ETA for Australia. Essentially an electronic visa.

Other than that what you will notice is that both countries are very strict about not taking any food off the ship. So, in some ports you will just get off or in other ports they will have personnel on the ship by the exit area. In both cases they will likely ask you if you have any food items with you and in some of these cases there will be dogs present who can sniff the food. It's no big deal and the process goes well.

Keith

We entered Australia in Sydney after leaving NZ. Being Aus citizens we didnt need any extra paperwork, but immigration officials boarded in NZ and we had to do a face to face with them to get our passports checked and stamped. They would also check for a valid visa at this point. You will also need to fill out an incoming passenger card, which will ask you some customs questions, such as declaring certain types of food. If you need to answer yes to any you just join a seperate line to show the customs man and make sure it's ok to bring into the country when departing the ship. This was when we were disembarking though, not sure if the procedure would be the same if its just port stops.

For NZ we didn't pass through any immigration or customs on our port stops in Aukland and Bay of Islands. It surprised me considering how strict they are with food. May be different if you are disembarking there though.

Thanks for the information. It helps.

My chief concern was with any delays getting off the ship, I know non-US passengers can wait in US customs lines for awhile when entering America. I just want to know about scheduling tours.

It sounds like it should be fine to schedule tours soon after the ship gets into port.

Thanks again.

You just need the ETA for Australia. Essentially an electronic visa.

Other than that what you will notice is that both countries are very strict about not taking any food off the ship. So, in some ports you will just get off or in other ports they will have personnel on the ship by the exit area. In both cases they will likely ask you if you have any food items with you and in some of these cases there will be dogs present who can sniff the food. It's no big deal and the process goes well.

Keith

I was wondering if you can take bottled water off the ship that has had the seal broken .Can bottled water be taken off at all ?

Thanks for the information. It helps.

My chief concern was with any delays getting off the ship, I know non-US passengers can wait in US customs lines for awhile when entering America. I just want to know about scheduling tours.

It sounds like it should be fine to schedule tours soon after the ship gets into port.

Thanks again.

When you schedule tours though you just have to realize that delays happen in terms of getting the ship cleared. So be sure the tour company knows that.

Keith

Water is no problem to take off the ship, but please don't try to take any food off the ship. If MAF are checking they can fine you on the spot $200.

If you are in need of some item, you are diabetic or require special food, Items in sealed packages may be allowed but declare it. If it is ok they will let you through. If you don't declare items, this is when it gets to be a problem and fines are handed out.

Sounds like we are very hard on visitors but we have to protect our Countries from bio security threats as this would affect our exports.

Enjoy your visit :)

To answer the original question succinctly .

There are two issues here Immigration & Customs .

1. Immigration : Usually provided you have the necessary ETSA / Visa the Immigration people board the boat on arrival at the first port in each country. They check the ships record of pax, nationalities, passports etc . at the Pursers office . Only if pax are finally leaving the vessel is there usually any interface with Immigration people. However any pax that are in transit (travelling to next port) are usually not checked. In some cases with cruises terminating at ports Immigration officials may join the vessel at last port of call prior and do the processing whilst at sea.

2. Customs & Quarantine : Only pax leaving the ship finally are subjected to customs interview/inspection . Quarantine wise officials will be on hand usually at all ports of call to see that pax do not bring ashore prohibited food items especially.

What about the departure cards? Are they readily available at the Overseas Passenger Terminal in Circular Quay or are they only available past security? I work near the OPT so I thought I might pop by and grab some forms a few days before my cruise.

Are they the same departure cards as those you find at airports?

Edited by Very Frequent Flyer

I think they hand them out as you join the queue at the entry, from the staff outside, so if it's not much trouble you could check if you're there on a boarding day.

They are the same as at the airport though so if you have some from a previous flight, the airport, or travel agent you can use those (as long as they're not too old).

For NZ they have customs officials on-board and you'll get processed during the crossing of the Tasman Sea from Australia to NZ. You get allocated a time to go for your inspection and the whole process is over in a few minutes.

In NZ sniffer dogs and / or MAF officials will be at each port to check you do not attempt to take prohibited items ashore.