Captain's Club Revamp- Stinks for me!

Tenderpaw

Obviously not for some. It seems to be all about getting the points and perks to them.

OP only wants what Celebrity advertised as the perks. They did not dream these perks up, nor did they demand them. They want what Celebrity said they'd give. If you paid in full for a cruise before the change was made, or you completed a cruise before the new program went into effect, you should get the points under the 'old' loyalty program which was in use at the time. People on cruise critic repeated over and over that "no one would loose anything with the new program." By repeating 'entitlement' and 'it's all about the points and perks' is very offensive to those who are expressing a legitimate feeling that they did loose something in the change. They have a right to be upset and to express it in this forum.

Celebrity's website is notoriously poorly constructed and maintained. Most likely Celebrity made the decision they did, because they do not have the talent to write a program to include points for the old system at the same time as the new one. As a result, they have alienated a significant number of their customers. Celebrity could have, just as easily, made announced the change and made it effective at a future date. If you are not upset, good for you. Allow those that are upset to express their opinion without implying they feel they are 'entitled" to something Celebrity offered and created.

OP only wants what Celebrity advertised as the perks. They did not dream these perks up, nor did they demand them. They want what Celebrity said they'd give. If you paid in full for a cruise before the change was made, or you completed a cruise before the new program went into effect, you should get the points under the 'old' loyalty program which was in use at the time. People on cruise critic repeated over and over that "no one would loose anything with the new program." By repeating 'entitlement' and 'it's all about the points and perks' is very offensive to those who are expressing a legitimate feeling that they did loose something in the change. They have a right to be upset and to express it in this forum.

Celebrity's website is notoriously poorly constructed and maintained. Most likely Celebrity made the decision they did, because they do not have the talent to write a program to include points for the old system at the same time as the new one. As a result, they have alienated a significant number of their customers. Celebrity could have, just as easily, made announced the change and made it effective at a future date. If you are not upset, good for you. Allow those that are upset to express their opinion without implying they feel they are 'entitled" to something Celebrity offered and created.

What did you lose. You were one tier going into to the change and, unless you had enough points to be upgraded to the new tiers, you remain at the same tier. You lost no perks/benefits and that is what Celebrity said and that is what they meant. All that happened is that it will take more cruises to get to the next level. If people are cruising for the experience of cruising, I don't see where that would be a problem. If you are unhappy, please post your feelings, but understand that it will be responded to and that another poster might not be sympathetic and/or agree with your opinions.

I seriously doubt that Celebrity created the new program around their website. They did what people had been complaining about for years, per Celebrity corporate. That it was too easy to make Elite; these people thought it was too crowded in the free cocktain hour. Celebrity changed the program making it hard to get to each tier, you can thank those that complained about it being too easy, but don't blame it on Celebrity's website.

Hey, Celebrity could have left the program the same, with no additional tiers with new perks, they could have given us all 10 points instead of 30 or they could have not given us any points at all.

Sorry you are unhappy with the new program and I hope you continue to cruise with Celebrity because of the cruising experience you get when on one of their ships.

Well, yes, your sort of did! You said, and I quote: "I have no incentive what so ever to book future cruises with Celebrity.

Celebrity used to be my favorite cruise line, not so much now."

Those two sentences suggest that you won't be booking on Celebrity anymore. To me, that says you "don't like them anymore".

I suppose you and others will interpret my comments any way you see fit. Celebrity wasn't the only line I booked when they were my favorite so I suppose just because they aren't my favorite anymore doesn't mean I won't be booking them anymore. These recent changes make Celebrity less favorable when considering future bookings.

Not everyone is upset. My wife and I only take longer cruises, at least 12 nights or longer, to get maximize value from our airfare costs. That it took four 12 night cruises to gain Elite status on the old program (1 point for booking, one point for 12 nights or longer, total 8 points for 48 days of cruising), as compared to someone going on only 4 night cruises, they could do it in just 32 days of cruising (1 point for each of eight 4-night cruises = 8 points for 32 days of cruising), was unfair to those of us spending 25% more than them on cruise fare. The new program rewards people for nights on board, as well as stateroom category if they upgrade to a more expensive stateroom, not how many cruises they have been on.

Makes more sense to me because on the old program I was getting robbed. ;)

We'll said, it's nice to know someone understands.

Hey, Celebrity could have left the program the same, with no additional tiers with new perks, they could have given us all 10 points instead of 30 or they could have not given us any points at all.

Or canceled the program entirely since it appears that there will always be some that aren't satisfied with the free stuff they are getting. It boggles my mind that people bitch about FREE stuff as if they are entitled to it. That to me is the height of selfishness. :rolleyes:

Not everyone is upset. My wife and I only take longer cruises, at least 12 nights or longer, to get maximize value from our airfare costs. That it took four 12 night cruises to gain Elite status on the old program (1 point for booking, one point for 12 nights or longer, total 8 points for 48 days of cruising), as compared to someone going on only 4 night cruises, they could do it in just 32 days of cruising (1 point for each of eight 4-night cruises = 8 points for 32 days of cruising), was unfair to those of us spending 25% more than them on cruise fare. The new program rewards people for nights on board, as well as stateroom category if they upgrade to a more expensive stateroom, not how many cruises they have been on.

Makes more sense to me because on the old program I was getting robbed. ;)

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I would bet my last dollars that some of those complaining that they have paid for cruises coming up that they want the old points for them are for 4 and 5 day cruises. I would also bet that the same people that complained that it was too easy to get to Elite and people worked the system, worked the system the same way they complained others did.

I also have done some longer cruises and I feel that the new program rewards customers on how long their cruises are (opposed to one point no matter the length) and by cabin category (rewarding those that spend more per night cruised).

JJPacer had it right. I only want what was advertised as perks when I signed up for the cruise. They advertised perks and I was "loyal" and booked. Then they changed the rules mid stream. Not a good way to treat customers. Since some of you are hung up on "entitlement", I do feel "entitled" to earn points at the level I booked the cruise under.

All my cruises were 7 nights are more. I really dont think there are a lot of Elites that made it there on 4 night cruises!

Or canceled the program entirely since it appears that there will always be some that aren't satisfied with the free stuff they are getting. It boggles my mind that people bitch about FREE stuff as if they are entitled to it. That to me is the height of selfishness. :rolleyes:

I've seen this type of behavior my entire career. I was in the entertainment business for over 30 years and you would not believe how people acted when they got something free. When we took them on a trip, they would complain that they didn't like the free hotel. When we gave them sweatshirts or jackets, they would complain that they didn't like the color. When we gave them Christmas gifts (quite expensive, I might add), they complained about them. OMG, I think of anything that is given to me, that I didn't have to pay for, is something I didn't have before and am grateful to the person that gave it to me. Do I like free stuff, sure doesn't everyone, but to complain about the free stuff, well that is amazing to me. I particularly like the poster who felt that he was now third class (because Elite is 3 out of 5 tiers) and did not feel he was valued as a customer anymore; all this because of a loyalty/rewards program that a company doesn't have to have at all.

For me, it's not a matter of whether I like Celebrity or not. I do still like them. However, it is a matter of whether I sail Celeb or HAL. They aren't that different really. I think Celeb is better than HAL, but HAL is often cheaper so I may now be less loyal. Please don't turn this into a Celeb vs HAL thread though!

He bottom line is this just one more "cut". They took my carrot and moved it further away.

In many ways both lines are alike with differant hardware. But lately the service on Celebrity has been better. HAL still has the best itineraries.

Edited by Jade13

OMG NHL! Is it selfish to want to earn points at the level I booked the cruise under?

To use your analogy, they promised me a nice name brand sweatshirt and instead gave me a t-shirt.

OMG Tenderpaw, I don't think I calld you selfish. I just don't understand all the fuss. Celebrity has the right to change their program and they did. They gave us each 30 points for each of our points; they could have given us 10 points or no points for that fact, but they gave everyone 30 points. They didn't take a tier or their benefits away from everyone, they just made it more difficult to get to the next tier, which is something many Elites asked for. They said that all cruises starting on a certain date gets the new point structure. I was in the same boat, I had a cruise booked that would get me to the next tier, but now that cruise doesn't, but I understand that business is business and when a company changes something not all their customers are going to be happy. I think Celebrity's changes are looked at in a positive light my the majority of their customers and, IMHO, they want to keep the majority happy.

Sorry you are so upset, hopefully you will still continue to cruise, either with Celebrity or another cruise line.

OMG NHL! Is it selfish to want to earn points at the level I booked the cruise under?

To use your analogy, they promised me a nice name brand sweatshirt and instead gave me a t-shirt.

When you booked the cruise has nothing to do with it. Loyalty points are earned AFTER the cruise has ended, not when you booked. It makes no difference what program was in place when you booked - until you take, and more importantly, PAY FOR, the cruise, you have earned zero loyalty points.

Imagine if everything about the cruise line worked the way you demand it to:

The cruise line changes it's smoking policy to make it more restrictive due to popular demand, but anyone who booked BEFORE the policy change is allowed to smoke per the old policy. Since some people book up to two years in advance, there will still be some smoking for two more years. How helpful is that for people who booked to get away from smoking.

The cruise line lowers the prices six months before the cruise, but anyone who booked earlier at the higher price still HAS to pay the higher price. No one who booked early can take advantage of price drops.

The cruise line adds one free meal in a specialty restaurant to all levels of the loyalty program, but anyone who booked before the new policy goes into affect won't get the free meals.

You would miss out on all these benefits if they forced you to honor what was in place when you booked.

For you it is a one way street - always in your favor.

Edited by swsfrail

Agreed. Great post:D

Edited by MicCanberra

Apparently you should still be just as happy because it was 'free.'

The cruise line adds free meals to all levels of the loyalty program, but anyone who booked before the new policy goes into affect won't get the free meals.

For you it is a one way street - always in your favor.

Actually, some saw that it is a one way street - in the other's favour.

They were on cruises where they got the Elite plus card, and lower level of new points - yet got the old benefits of Elite plus i.e. none.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I would bet my last dollars that some of those complaining that they have paid for cruises coming up that they want the old points for them are for 4 and 5 day cruises. I would also bet that the same people that complained that it was too easy to get to Elite and people worked the system, worked the system the same way they complained others did.

I also have done some longer cruises and I feel that the new program rewards customers on how long their cruises are (opposed to one point no matter the length) and by cabin category (rewarding those that spend more per night cruised).

Incorrect, but then it wouldn't matter what length they are, as you are missing the point. If you bought sometihing with the expectation that you would receive the whole package and only got some of the package, wouldn't you be upset as well. E.g. If X promised $400 OBC and then it didn't show on your account after boarding, you would be at the Guest services desk asking why not, wouldn't you? They then say it was changed that promotion last night, I would bet you would be very upset and feel ripped off.

Apparently you should still be just as happy because it was 'free.'

Free isn't good enough for the OP. It has to be better than free - it has to be what he wants, not what is given to him. He must be a real pain to give presents to this time of year. He probably complains loudly about any present he gets that isn't what he thinks he deserves. :rolleyes:

Edited by boogs

Actually, some saw that it is a one way street - in the other's favour.

They were on cruises where they got the Elite plus card, and lower level of new points - yet got the old benefits of Elite plus i.e. none.

Yes, looks like X got the best of both situations there.:D

Incorrect, but then it wouldn't matter what length they are, as you are missing the point. If you bought sometihing with the expectation that you would receive the whole package and only got some of the package, wouldn't you be upset as well. E.g. If X promised $400 OBC and then it didn't show on your account after boarding, you would be at the Guest services desk asking why not, wouldn't you? They then say it was changed that promotion last night, I would bet you would be very upset and feel ripped off.

Comparing apples to oranges. Those with a booked or paid for cruise had the same expectations. Celebrity changed the program (which they had every right to do) and didn't offer either old points for cruises they have not sailed on when the change occured. It is their program and I feel that Celebrity looked what would keep the majority of their customers happy. They were very generous giving 30 points, when they didn't have to give any or could have given less. The minority will be unhappy and that is their right, just as it is their right not to spend any more dollars with the cruise line.

Those that have paid for cruises say the line should be drawn after them, the ones with booked cruises say the line should be drawn after them, those that feel they are not valued because they consider themselves third class (in Elite) say the line should be drawn after them. Where could have Celebrity drawn the line, so that they would not have made the majority unhappy. The answer, IMHO, is right where they did.

Comparing apples to oranges. Those with a booked or paid for cruise had the same expectations. Celebrity changed the program (which they had every right to do) and didn't offer either old points for cruises they have not sailed on when the change occured. It is their program and I feel that Celebrity looked what would keep the majority of their customers happy. They were very generous giving 30 points, when they didn't have to give any or could have given less. The minority will be unhappy and that is their right, just as it is their right not to spend any more dollars with the cruise line.

Those that have paid for cruises say the line should be drawn after them, the ones with booked cruises say the line should be drawn after them, those that feel they are not valued because they consider themselves third class (in Elite) say the line should be drawn after them. Where could have Celebrity drawn the line, so that they would not have made the majority unhappy. The answer, IMHO, is right where they did.

So you wouldn't complain about having something that was promised (whether fair or not) taken away but you will complain about people who do and chastise them at the same time.:(