Gluten Free Cruiser Review/Information

hscbaseball15

First off, please don’t turn this into a discussion on whether gluten free is a fad or choice as that is not the intention of this review. I simply want to give those gluten free people out there an idea of my past experiences with Carnival.

A little background: I am 29 and have been diagnosed with Celiac disease for almost 3 years. I have sailed with carnival 3 times (Pride in Sep. 2012, Dream in Sep. 2013, and Breeze in Dec. 2013) all while requiring a gluten free diet. My mother (who accompanied my wife and I on the Dec. cruise and is highly allergic to gluten) has cruised with Carnival and Royal Caribbean. She says Carnival is head and shoulders above Royal Caribbean in the options and the attention they pay to cross contamination.

For those that require a gluten free diet, I try to go to the dining room when we board and speak with the assistant maitre’d and inform them of my table # (I always choose late dining) and my dietary restriction. They typically review the first nights menu and tell me what is typically “safe” and to make sure I let my server know I need to be gluten free. They also will let me know that they will come by during the dining experience and present the next day’s menu (if sea day will show sea day brunch menu or just breakfast menu if port day and dinner menu). You are slightly limited on choices, but for the most part, they can do just about anything. As for the buffet, this is more difficult since you have no control over what people touch with the utensils or knowing what is in each dish. I have asked a chef to make me something and they have always been willing too. On the ships that have them, the Pasta restaurant and Guy’s Burgers will make you gluten free pasta or prepare a gluten free burger and fries for you upon request. For the Guy’s burgers, ask the hostess/asst. maitre’d to see if they can carry gluten free buns…though they are not the greatest I have had, they are a better option than the bread. Also, on the Breeze, they would cook our burgers in the back and add fries to our plate (they informed me the fires are gluten free if done prior to putting the seasoning they use on them, but I asked every time just to make sure). The Pizza place will also make you a gluten free pizza, but I found the dough to turn into mush and they never seem to put enough cheese on it.

Concerns

I am still optimistic about the Warm Chocolate Melting Cake as it was so hard to decide if mine was gluten free compared to my wife’s, but I never got sick and had it almost every night. Also, if you think something looks thicker, say a sauce, don’t hesitate to ask and they will check as I have had dishes redone because they were not sure.

Likes/Dislikes

I really liked the French toast (not something I get very often and is thicker and with butter, blueberries sauce and syrup they are great), Steak and Eggs, and anything on the dinner menu I could have except the frog legs, pasta (undercooked the one night I had it), crab cake, and the alligator fritters. The pancakes are okay, but my mother didn’t like them at all. I never tried the soup, but she had one almost every night and said the French onion was very good and none of them were bad. The fish was good and they always brought out 2 slices of bread when we sat down which was nice. I am not a picky eater and would often order 2-3 apps, 2 entrees and 1 or 2 desserts and would finish almost everything on the plates. For those that like apple pie, ask if they can make an apple crumble for you as I think that is my new favorite over the WCMC.

Each cruise I have gone on, the service and knowledge has increased and on the Breeze, Marketa (the wonderful hostess/asst. maitre’d) was the best I had thus far. Not only did she know what I could and could not have, but would offer suggestions on things to try or items that were not on the menu that she would have the chef prepare. I think it is best for someone with a gluten allergy to eat at assigned dining and eat in the MDR for each meal as they will take care of you and you will guarantee that you have the same wait staff at dinner. Bruch and Breakfast are open seating, but Marketa always put us with the same waiter which was nice.

Sorry this was so long and I hope it was helpful to those that have to eat gluten free. I asked about dairy free option as my SIL has that allergy (we are one high maintenance family) and they said they could accommodate that fairly easily since they have so many people who eat Vegan.

Thank you for your review. We are sailing on the Dream with our 8 yr old daughter who has Celiac. It'll be her first sailing so we're hoping things go well. Are you saying that the Pasta Bar on the Dream can serve her GF pasta? Or do you mean the Italian restaurants? If you mean the pasta bar, what sauces could you eat? Ill let her know about the French Toast. Thanks!

thank you for sharing! Our last cruise was on Royal and they did a pretty good job. They even have the GF items labeled on the buffet (of course if you have to worry about the cross contamination, which isnt usually an issue for me). This will be the 1st time we are cruising carnival since being GF. Thanks so much for the review!

My husband has Celiac & we have also found that Carnival does a better job for GF cruisers than Royal C (although it has been 3 year since we've been on Royal so may have improved since then). We are booked on the Breeze for next year so glad to hear they have a great hostess!

Edited by lukydog

The pasta bar is what i was referring too. I think 2 out of the 3 sauces she can have, but I don't remember which ones. If i remember correctly, the alfredo was the no go, but they offer 2 choices that are gluten free.

That's great, thank you so much! We've been excited to try the Pasta Bar but didn't want to indulge if she couldn't join us :)

First off, please don’t turn this into a discussion on whether gluten free is a fad or choice as that is not the intention of this review. I simply want to give those gluten free people out there an idea of my past experiences with Carnival.

A little background: I am 29 and have been diagnosed with Celiac disease for almost 3 years. I have sailed with carnival 3 times (Pride in Sep. 2012, Dream in Sep. 2013, and Breeze in Dec. 2013) all while requiring a gluten free diet. My mother (who accompanied my wife and I on the Dec. cruise and is highly allergic to gluten) has cruised with Carnival and Royal Caribbean. She says Carnival is head and shoulders above Royal Caribbean in the options and the attention they pay to cross contamination.

For those that require a gluten free diet, I try to go to the dining room when we board and speak with the assistant maitre’d and inform them of my table # (I always choose late dining) and my dietary restriction. They typically review the first nights menu and tell me what is typically “safe” and to make sure I let my server know I need to be gluten free. They also will let me know that they will come by during the dining experience and present the next day’s menu (if sea day will show sea day brunch menu or just breakfast menu if port day and dinner menu). You are slightly limited on choices, but for the most part, they can do just about anything. As for the buffet, this is more difficult since you have no control over what people touch with the utensils or knowing what is in each dish. I have asked a chef to make me something and they have always been willing too. On the ships that have them, the Pasta restaurant and Guy’s Burgers will make you gluten free pasta or prepare a gluten free burger and fries for you upon request. For the Guy’s burgers, ask the hostess/asst. maitre’d to see if they can carry gluten free buns…though they are not the greatest I have had, they are a better option than the bread. Also, on the Breeze, they would cook our burgers in the back and add fries to our plate (they informed me the fires are gluten free if done prior to putting the seasoning they use on them, but I asked every time just to make sure). The Pizza place will also make you a gluten free pizza, but I found the dough to turn into mush and they never seem to put enough cheese on it.

Concerns

I am still optimistic about the Warm Chocolate Melting Cake as it was so hard to decide if mine was gluten free compared to my wife’s, but I never got sick and had it almost every night. Also, if you think something looks thicker, say a sauce, don’t hesitate to ask and they will check as I have had dishes redone because they were not sure.

Likes/Dislikes

I really liked the French toast (not something I get very often and is thicker and with butter, blueberries sauce and syrup they are great), Steak and Eggs, and anything on the dinner menu I could have except the frog legs, pasta (undercooked the one night I had it), crab cake, and the alligator fritters. The pancakes are okay, but my mother didn’t like them at all. I never tried the soup, but she had one almost every night and said the French onion was very good and none of them were bad. The fish was good and they always brought out 2 slices of bread when we sat down which was nice. I am not a picky eater and would often order 2-3 apps, 2 entrees and 1 or 2 desserts and would finish almost everything on the plates. For those that like apple pie, ask if they can make an apple crumble for you as I think that is my new favorite over the WCMC.

Each cruise I have gone on, the service and knowledge has increased and on the Breeze, Marketa (the wonderful hostess/asst. maitre’d) was the best I had thus far. Not only did she know what I could and could not have, but would offer suggestions on things to try or items that were not on the menu that she would have the chef prepare. I think it is best for someone with a gluten allergy to eat at assigned dining and eat in the MDR for each meal as they will take care of you and you will guarantee that you have the same wait staff at dinner. Bruch and Breakfast are open seating, but Marketa always put us with the same waiter which was nice.

Sorry this was so long and I hope it was helpful to those that have to eat gluten free. I asked about dairy free option as my SIL has that allergy (we are one high maintenance family) and they said they could accommodate that fairly easily since they have so many people who eat Vegan.

I was on the Breeze last month for a B2B and I agree, Marketa was totally AWESOME ! She really knew her stuff and went out of her way helping me with the gluten free menu options. I appreciated her help so much that I gave her a sizeable tip on the last night in the MDR !

My husband has Celiac & we have also found that Carnival does a better job for GF cruisers than Royal C (although it has been 3 year since we've been on Royal so may have improved since then). We are booked on the Breeze for next year so glad to hear they have a great hostess!

Actually I thought RCCL did slightly better for my DD who requires GF, than on Carnival. Both did great but buffet help at RCCL was superior. It was 2 rye as ago when on Royal.

Thanks for your review. I have not tried the pasta bar, it is good to know I can. My husband and I like Anytime Dining so we always go and ask for the same staff each night. It has always worked out well for us and after the first night they always know my preferences.

We like Carnival too, but Princess is also pretty good. They actually have a really good pizza at the Pizza Restaurant in the Atrium. It is the best I have found so far.

We had a gal on our Liberty with a gluten free diet and she was in disbelief over the great food service she received from Carnival. She worked with one person to go over her menue for each day and they really accommodated her special diet. She couldn't say enough about the service and food.

My son has a long list of allergies, during our last cruise the matrie'd was so accommodating, he had the kitchen prepare my son a chicken breast with no seasonings and fresh cut French fries. I was told that the potatoes that are served in the buffet are frozen pre-made and are doused with flour to make them crunchy during frying.

Thanks for all the great info. We are on the Breeze Jan 12 and this will be our first cruise since our 17 year old daughter has gone GF. I am hoping that we also get Marketa to help us out as I have heard great things about her and that will really put us at ease to know someone has her back and is watching out for her in the dining room:) Hoping we have the same kind of experience you had.

I've also found CC to be very accommodating. I am not super sensitive, so I tried to just avoid what I knew to contain gluten. Then one night I got tired of watching everyone else eat bread so I asked. Every night after that gluten free bread showed up in front of me without asking.

Carnival Destiny jan 2010

Carnival Liberty 9/28/13

Carnival Victory 10/5/13

Carnival Sensation 3/9/14

Carnival Sensation 3/14/14

My concern is that GF has become a Fad diet . People are eating GF because certain TV Doctors and celebrities say it helped them . Four years ago nobody knew what GF was unless they were Celiac . Now they are producing a lot of GF products . What happens to the GF intolerant (DW) and the Celiac's (BIL) who need GF to have good health , when this Fad Diet :confused: :confused: peters out??

My concern is that GF has become a Fad diet . People are eating GF because certain TV Doctors and celebrities say it helped them . Four years ago nobody knew what GF was unless they were Celiac . Now they are producing a lot of GF products . What happens to the GF intolerant (DW) and the Celiac's (BIL) who need GF to have good health , when this Fad Diet :confused: :confused: peters out??

Why are you concerned?

If gluten doesn't bother you, great. It does bother others and unless you have experienced it, you have no idea the discomfort it causes.

You don't need to have gluten to have good health.

That's not at all what he's saying. He is wondering if when the "fad" is over what GF availability will be there. DS was diagnosed Celiac five years ago. In that time, the amount of GF foods in the mainstream market has grown exponentially. The question was, will it still be there when not as many people choose to eat that way, leaving those who have no choice with less options once again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

That's not at all what he's saying. He is wondering if when the "fad" is over what GF availability will be there. DS was diagnosed Celiac five years ago. In that time, the amount of GF foods in the mainstream market has grown exponentially. The question was, will it still be there when not as many people choose to eat that way, leaving those who have no choice with less options once again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thanks , that is what I was trying to say. I have family members that have been celiac for almost 15 years. They couldn't find anything that was GF . The family in the UK and OZ helped arrange for GF to shipped to Canada. Now the amount of GF is fantastic.

We've been on both RCCL and Carnival with my 8yr old son, who was diagnosed 4yrs ago with celiac.

IMO Carnival does a much better job accommodating someone who can't ingest Gluten, than RCCL did. Not to say we had a bad experience- w just have had better experiences with Carnival. One of the reasons we are sailing on the Breeze next month!!

The gluten free buns at guys, the GF bread at the deli, the GF pizza. And of course the brunch items and MDR. It was all just very easy on Carnival- which I appreciate!

Thanks , that is what I was trying to say. I have family members that have been celiac for almost 15 years. They couldn't find anything that was GF . The family in the UK and OZ helped arrange for GF to shipped to Canada. Now the amount of GF is fantastic.

Please accept my apology. I misunderstood your post.

You are well aware of how gluten can cause problems.

The people out there spending the extra money for gluten free, are not part of some fad. We're people who have found a need to limit or eliminate gluten. As wheat producers continue to produce wheat with ever higher gluten content, there will continue to be higher demand for GF foods. Today's wheat has very little in common with your grandmother's wheat.

Carnival Destiny jan 2010

Carnival Liberty 9/28/13

Carnival Victory 10/5/13

Carnival Sensation 3/9/14

Carnival Sensation 3/14/14

My sister who is vegan and gluten-free, had a wonderful experience on our Carnival cruise 3 and a half years ago. She was consulted the night before on each dinner and was very happy with what was presented for her to eat. Like other posters have stated, I think there are now even more choices available and if the demand is there, then gluten-free options should continue to be an ever expanding diet on Carnival and hopefully other dining venues.

I have a kind of subjective question regarding all this. I have Celiac and have had wonderful experiences with all the hostesses helping me select foods that are safe for me to eat. My question is in regard to tipping. Are the hostesses included in our auto tips? I have usually tipped my hostess, but wonder what a "good" tip would be for a 7 day cruise? $20? $35? $50? Just want to get some ideas. I want to tip well, but don't know what would be considered a "good tip"